Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing lower chrome trim molding on rear window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing lower chrome trim molding on rear window?

I am removing lower chrome rear trim molding on rear window so i can seal up those 8 screw in clips. I got the screws out and now need to get the side of those 2 moldings to slide out am guessing. The diagram isn't the best. I am wondering since i don't have that tool they say i need, can i just use a flat head or a plastic putty scraper and pop it out. They look like just slide in and out clips. I don't want to break stuff up. I can't even find these for sale anymore.

Put the screws back in part way, then push down on them while gently pulling up the trim or prying up the clip. The screw pulls the inner part of the clip up such that barbs extend out the sides and grab the underside of the sheet metal around the rectangular hole. That piece has to be pushed down to pull the barbs back in to allow the clip to come out.

I suggest using something like weatherstrip tape to make a new gasket instead of using some kind of liquid sealant in case you have to take it apart again for some reason.

Go near the end of this thread for a picture of the clips. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=16577
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-17-2019, 12:45 AM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      Put the screws back in part way, then push down on them while gently pulling up the trim or prying up the clip. The screw pulls the inner part of the clip up such that barbs extend out the sides and grab the underside of the sheet metal around the rectangular hole. That piece has to be pushed down to pull the barbs back in to allow the clip to come out.

I suggest using something like weatherstrip tape to make a new gasket instead of using some kind of liquid sealant in case you have to take it apart again for some reason.

Go near the end of this thread for a picture of the clips. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=16577
      I seen your pics earlier. I broke the center most clip near center brake light and still can't get it out. Tried pushing it in then lifting and can't get it to lift out of that box hole. Does it easily come out. I feel no difference in resistance with it pushed it or unscrewed. I will have to try others with a blow dryer as scared of breaking clips there also. Got to go to JY now and probably get one. When reinstalling did you just sort of force the box screw frame thru the weatherstrip?

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
        I seen your pics earlier. I broke the center most clip near center brake light and still can't get it out. Tried pushing it in then lifting and can't get it to lift out of that box hole. Does it easily come out. I feel no difference in resistance with it pushed it or unscrewed. I will have to try others with a blow dryer as scared of breaking clips there also. Got to go to JY now and probably get one. When reinstalling did you just sort of force the box screw frame thru the weatherstrip?
        I have taken several out where the outer gray part of the clip is cracked - if that is the case, it may not push the barbs in when the screw is pushed down. You could try taking the screw out, then using a small screwdriver to push the barbed piece out the bottom of the clip. You'll have to fish around through the slots from the trunk to retrieve it.

Rarely do they come out easily, even for me (I've probably removed that trim from 10 cars). Ideally, you only have to back the screw out about 3/8", then push it down (hold it down) and use a plastic tool (auto trim removal tools work well) to pry up on the base of the clip. You'll have to jiggle it around some. If you get the center ones to pop up some, don't try to take them all the way out; work your way out to the other clips to get them popped loose, then you can pull the whole piece of trim up. You may have to get it loose from the side clips a little to give yourself room to work when resealing the holes.

When reinstalling, I cut a rectangular gasket from the weatherstrip tape and cut a rectangular hole in that. With the barbed piece in the right position, the clips go back in the holes pretty easily.
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-17-2019, 08:17 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I went to junkyard today and practiced on 2 windshields. Finally pulled one out and seen how that clip works. Almost got a second out but it broke. They are still effn hard to get out even with those barbs retracted. Will have to bring some grease next time. There are ten or more cars i can still practice on.

Comment

If need be, the clips appear to be available from Honda. $3.63 each from Majestic.

Comment

If need be, the clips appear to be available from Honda. $3.63 each from Majestic.
              So can i just break those clips and remove trim then reattach clips?

Comment

The base of the clip can be removed from the trim and new clips installed. That too can be a little tricky. I have a few photos, I guess I should post them here somewhere.

They show as available, you might try calling Majestic (or even just your local dealer) and make sure they are available in sufficient quantity.

Comment

The base of the clip can be removed from the trim and new clips installed. That too can be a little tricky. I have a few photos, I guess I should post them here somewhere.

They show as available, you might try calling Majestic (or even just your local dealer) and make sure they are available in sufficient quantity.
                  I got to replace all my chrome molding. So was just curious if i broke a clip can i get it back on. Going to practice on more cars at jy before i mess with it on my car.

Comment

Working...
                  X