Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I broke a lug nut… how do I get it off now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Emerg...mZ370069368567

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
    Originally posted by deevergote.
    But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

^^^ I don't think that'll work. My lug nuts have the drive in the middle... the so-called "tuner lug nuts".

Kind of like this:

- Ghosty
      WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
      FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

if part of it is gone then you could try to put a chisel on an edge of it and tap it with a hammer or something in the "off" direction.

if you lift the car up off the wheel and take the rest of the lugs off then it should be easy. or any shop could air chisel it off in 2 seconds...

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
          if part of it is gone then you could try to put a chisel on an edge of it and tap it with a hammer or something in the "off" direction.

if you lift the car up off the wheel and take the rest of the lugs off then it should be easy. or any shop could air chisel it off in 2 seconds...
          Interesting idea. The nut is on there pretty damned tight (I broke it while torquing it down without a torque wrench) so I doubt the hammer and chisel will work.

I've got an air chisel but I'm hesitant to use it. I'm worried about messing up the rims.

I'll try to post a picture later so you guys can see what I'm dealing with.
          - Ghosty
          FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostyman View Post
            Interesting idea. The nut is on there pretty damned tight (I broke it while torquing it down without a torque wrench) so I doubt the hammer and chisel will work.

I've got an air chisel but I'm hesitant to use it. I'm worried about messing up the rims.

I'll try to post a picture later so you guys can see what I'm dealing with.
            Yeah i wasn't worried about it in my case. i needed an entire overhaul on my toyota pickup... the whole brake system was original at 280k. if your careful use the air chisel at first and get it loose and the step down to the smaller stuff. you really just need it loose enough to get it off.

Comment

Originally posted by jimy View Post
              Or if you have patients. You can drill out the stud. Not such a good idea though.
              That's what I did.
              Twice.

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

You sure have some dumb arse shop around there. Its actually a really simple way of taking it out. Only if you lived around here in MN. I could have my mechanic take it out for $5.

but if you insist on drilling. you'll need a metal titanium drill bit that can be purchased at sears. you'll need small ones gradualling up to a big one. Don't just start with one size. Work your way up.

Comment

Here's what I'm dealing with. Upper left lug nut. It's sheared off right near the level of the threads. No outer surface to grip, limited room to get in with tools. I'm not sure what kind of kit is getting this out easily but I'd love to find out.
                  - Ghosty

Comment

you could fit a very sharp chisel in from above the center cap, leading into the lug area, and set it on the side where you hit it it would spin it off. the lug holes seem to be shallowest toward the center of the wheel, which would give you the closest access to the surface of the broken nut.

or if you could manage to remove the knuckle from the back, you could grind the back of the stud off and knock it out from the back? i dont know how easy this could be, considering ive never worked with a suspension with the wheel still attached lol.

idk man good luck...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Mike, you got to it before I could. That's exactly what I was thinking when I read all this. It's possible but with the wheel on there you got to be careful. I DO NOT recommend heating up the lug as it will probably damage your wheels.
                      Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

I have the same style as the ebay ones but i bought them on sale for like $8can at princess auto.
                        My other kit is from snap on

I would use a chisel gun with a narrow chisel OR a torch. Some ppl say its not a good idea but I have seen it done 4 times now and it worked perfect... Use acouple of layers of masking tape and cover the rim about 5inches all the way around the lug.
                        3 of the vehicles were mercedes and one was a pos dodge shadow.

On a side note
                        As a mechanic I hate tuner style lugs and most wheel locks. You would think If you are smart enough or care enough to buy locking lug nuts you would buy spare keys for them but no...
                        shit I had to chisel mine off cuz I lost the key only to find it acouple of days later.

Comment

I see now... i though it was broken different...

Maybe see about using a VERY small drill bit and getting it in there good and using it as a way to loosen it and just unscrew it...

Worst comes to worst you might have to whip out a tap and die set.

Comment

Working...
                          X