Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

tie rod bellow HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tie rod bellow HELP

so driving home and i noticed a clicking and slight shaking feel on the front passenger wheel. i pulled over to a supermarket to tighten the wheel thinking it was loose. i continue to drive home and the ticking and shaking is still there. slammed the gas from 2nd to 4th. still was the same. got home and the inner tie rod bellow, YES, THE BELLOW. THE BOOT was torn.. how bad is this? this is my only transportation to school tomorrow and its a 24 mile drive total to school and back. HELP PLEASE.

If the shaking is bad enough to make you uncomfortable driving, then find another way to school.

All rubber boots and such are in place to protect greased joints. When the rubber tears, the joints dry out, and get exposed to dirt. This will cause them to fail.
    Your best bet would be to replace the tie rods ASAP.

I'm sure doing it right now is not an option... so I suggest jacking up the car, getting under it, and inspecting the assembly. If necessary, wipe off and re-grease the exposed joint. That may help for a short time.

Comment

Sounds like your axle is going bad.

Comment

True, clicking and shaking could be an axle... but he said the tie rod boot was torn, and that could also cause clicking and shaking.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          True, clicking and shaking could be an axle... but he said the tie rod boot was torn, and that could also cause clicking and shaking.
          he never said the tierod boot was torn

he said the bellow boot that flexes like an accordion was torn

that would not make a clicking noise

Comment

Perhaps I misunderstood...

Comment

the boot

if the tie rod is worn out then replace it but if its good and the boot is just torn I would cram some grease in there to make it happy then put some silicone on the boot to seal it.I do that to all of the boot's on my fount end,tie rods and ball joints.
              MAKE SHIRE ALL OF YOUR BALL JOINTS AND TIE ROD BOLTS HAVE CARDER KEYS WHERE THERE'S A SPOT FOR ONE
              Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
              93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.. i lift the car up today and it shakes like crazy. i know for sure its my upper ball joint from what i saw. is that right?

Comment

"shakes like crazy" isn't really enough to say for sure if the upper ball joint is bad... BUT, these cars are 20+ years old. I would assume that ALL suspension components are worn, and start replacing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                    he never said the tierod boot was torn

he said the bellow boot that flexes like an accordion was torn

that would not make a clicking noise

Technically he did say the tierod boot was torn..the inner tierod boot...aka bellow boot. Depending on how long it has been torn and how much dirt got in the inner tierod joint, it could make a clicking noise and emit a vibration/shaking feel. I had a bad inner/torn boot on my 93 wagon and because of the looseness in the joint itself it made my steering wheel shake at certain times which resulted in an uncomfortable ride to say the least. However it also had bad upper BJs and bad swaybar bushings too..

When you jack it up...Is it a 12-6 shake or a 3-9 shake? Perhaps an around the clock shake?

12-6 shake-probably upper or lower balljoints..cheap.replace
                    3-9 shake-probably inner or outer tierod..maybe radius rod bushings..cheap.replace
                    around the clock shake-probably wheel bearing..cheap.replace

The car could also shake while driving on the road from a bad tire, stuck caliper, rotor hotspot, etc.

Go ahead and replace the swaybar bushings while you are in there..cheap..most likely they are shot as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X