Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

new head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new head

Hey everyone, I have a 93 cb7 dx f22a1with 260k. I have 2 burned valves in one cylinder. I am getting a re manufactured head, and installing a high lift cam in it, the guy i bought it from claimed it was a skunk2 but there is no marking indicating it. My questions are, Is this a good idea? How long does a head swap take with proper tools? What kind of gains do i get with this, and a header to 2.5" catback with a cat delete, and a drop in k&N? Can I reuse my head studs,can I use oem, or should I upgrade to ARP? The cam has a skunk2 timing gear on it has anyone been successful with playing with these on a sohc?
    Originally posted by Gummiegorilla
    Damn CBs are like a Rubix Cube sometimes !!!!

just leave everything stock, once you change the cam then you'll need a tune and recommend changing valve springs.

ive done a head swap with no air in 5 hours.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Skunk2 does not make F22A camshafts. They never have.

The timing gear is just that... an adjustable timing gear. Many people don't like them, because they're hard to set accurately. The only one I'd be comfortable with is the Bisimoto gear, due to the non-slip coating. However, Skunk2 is better than some cheapie no-name brand.

I would not reuse the head bolts. They are made to stretch, and should be discarded. ARP studs would be a good upgrade.

Any generic header will get you minimal gains at best. Don't waste your money if you don't already own one.

2.5" catback is actually pretty wide for a nearly stock F22A1. You'll have a weak low end, though it'll breathe nicely up high. Don't delete your cat. People that do that are the reason emissions laws are getting more and more strict for the rest of us. the stock cat flows reasonably well.

It's impossible to say what gains you'll be looking at. We don't know the condition of your bottom end, we don't know what cam you have (because it's not what the guy says, for sure), and there are just far too many other variables to consider. Another 10-20hp tops, I'd say.

If you really want to get the most out of that head, get a good port and polish job done to it. At the very least, open up the exhaust ports a bit. It flows VERY well when modified.

Comment

the reason i removed my cat was because i thought it was blocked and it was also compleately seized to the front end of my exhaust which is one of the reasons why I installed a header and downpipe. The other reason was because i had a leak at the flexpipe. I am planning on installing a new one because it muffles some of the rasp. Will the highlift cam destroy my valves and springs even if i only go up to 6000rpm?

Comment

"If you really want to get the most out of that head, get a good port and polish job done to it. At the very least, open up the exhaust ports a bit. It flows VERY well when modified."
          I thought that polishing was only a myth, and do local performance shops provide port and polish services? Is it something I can do with simple tools?

FYI my goal for my cat is to get a little sportier, no competitions, a little bit of weekend track, and no drag racing.

Comment

I do not recall Skunk2 making a F22ax SOHC nonVTEC camshaft either. Sounds peculiar.

You need to do camshaft measurements. Get a local machine shop with a Cam Doctor equip. to measure the specs on this camshaft before you install for like $25. Otherwise, install and torque things to spec. Then, learn how to take measurements on your camshaft and degree it. Do research or submit your results and we can give you and idea.

It is possible this camshaft is not legit, could be stock or not even F22ax with an adjustable cam gear. Seller could have pulled one on you. Worst thing you can do is put a camshaft you know nothing about into your engine and run it. Also don't waste your time modifying the head if your block is in horrible condition.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Thanks, i guess i have to do some more detective work on it all i know is that there is an m logo on it

Comment

That's true about not modifying the head if the block is going to remain in old, worn condition. Unless you plan on upgrading the bottom end, disregard my mention of p&p.

And no, it is absolutely not a myth. Polishing to a mirror finish is not good, but deburring and smoothing out the relatively rough casting to provide optimal airflow is quite effective. Opening up the ports properly is effective as well. If you have no experience doing such things, then I would not suggest trying it yourself. You CAN do it with simple tools such as a dremel and sandpaper... but I REALLY don't suggest trying it! An experienced head porter could do the work for you. Most local performance shops will either be able to do it, or they have someone that they go to for such work. It's an art, so you're best going with someone that understands the head itself. Again, this is probably above and beyond what you want for the engine, so I'm typing this out just to see myself type...

A wild camshaft will not damage your valves, but it will wear your rockers. If the camshaft is too extreme (beyond what most companies call "level 1", though their specs vary) then you will need to be concerned with valve float. The stock valve springs aren't strong enough to snap the valves back into place, especially at high RPM, when used with a performance camshaft. It significantly increases the threat of a valve being in the path of the piston... which could destroy your entire engine.

Comment

what about a head gasket when i install the new head are there ones to stay away from?

Comment

I would get one from Honda. The amount of work involved, and the risk of potential damage if it fails... it's just worth it to get the best. OEM is always best.

Comment

So I just ordered a re manufactured head, arp headstuds, and a gasket set
                      im planning on doing the swap in 2 weeks the day after thanksgiving. Im going to order a new waterpump, timing belt, and pulleys next friday. does anyone have any advise as to what to expect when i do my swap

Comment

hey deev, can I post a DIY in this thread when I start this project or is there a seperate thread for DIY's

Comment

There is an entire FORUM for DIYs.

Get 30 posts and you can make one in there... or, if you truly have a good one in the works, make it here and I can move it for you. Of course, if I do that, you won't be able to reply to it until you have 30 posts.

Comment

Thanks Deev, I have 16 posts left im planning the swap for nov 26 hopefully I can do this when time comes

Comment

Does Matrix racing make there own camshfts? Do they put their own stamping on it?
                              the guy who sold this camshaft to me had a 2.2 lude, i did som research and matrix racing sells an f22 camshaft and there is an m logo stamped on the shaft itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X