OEM Flushmount vs Legend Flushmount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Flushmount vs Legend Flushmount

This is the first time I'm posting an opinionated poll, and I honestly feel embarrassed to ask this. As some of you may remember, I had a KA4 Acura Legend flushmount spoiler installed for a few months, and I removed it because it never fit properly; it had some hideous gaps on the outer edges of the trunklid, as seen in photo #2.

I am currently debating whether to:
    A) Apply bondo on the KA4 flushmount so it contours the trunklid better, then permanently JB weld it to my trunklid.
    B) Buy an OEM replica flushmount from Chan and have it painted.

I honestly love the look of both spoilers with a proper Seattle Silver color match; the KA4 flushmount looks better to me, but I don't have the time or bondo-experience to re-contour it to fit the trunklid better. The OEM flushmount doesn't look as aggressive, but it fits perfectly (and most importantly) looks stock.

Feel free to vote on the poll and posting your thoughts. Here are the photos:

1) KA4 Flushmount:

2) Spoiler-trunklid gap:

3) Seattle Silver Accord (jhondayaaj's) with flushmount replica:

Thanks, everyone.
    KA4 Acura Legend Flushmount with extensive reshaping
    13.33%
    OEM Replica Flushmount
    86.67%
    Last edited by Nurega; 08-23-2011, 12:20 PM.
    Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
    2005 Acura TSX 6MT
    2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

to me they both look good. the thing that would bother me is the non perfect fit of the legend flushmount. to some people it is close enough, so i guess it depends on how picky you are. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
      to me they both look good. the thing that would bother me is the non perfect fit of the legend flushmount. to some people it is close enough, so i guess it depends on how picky you are. later.
      That's true; I'm extremely picky about fit and finish. I went insane when one of my OEM door-edge guards went missing; the panel gap looked 2mm wider and caught my eye every time I walked up to my car.

Thank you for your input, TypeG.
      2005 Acura TSX 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
        This. I'd have to go oem/replica cause its more "flush".

^^^^^
        Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7

Comment

oem or nothing.
          <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

You car is far too clean and original to go mucking about with reshaping and bondoing accessories to it.

Use the OEM stuff thats fits right and looks good.

Comment

i like how the legend spoiler goes all the way to each end of the trunk. the cb flushie looks unfinished or not even made for the car. legend spoiler bolted to the trunk will fit from end to end and retain function of the trunk.
              frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
                i like how the legend spoiler goes all the way to each end of the trunk. the cb flushie looks unfinished or not even made for the car.
                Agreed.

As much as the OEM piece is a better fit, I'm impressed with how good that KA4 piece looks in general. I think I'd try to strive for a good fit with the KA4 flushmount spoiler, but expect the project to take a lot of time before having success. There was a member on here that made his own flushmount and as I recall, it was SICK. That was largely cause it was custom and exactly what he wanted. Then his MRT disappeared, complete with that project.

I digress. I think the poor fit of the KA4 would bother me just as much as the incomplete design of the OEM piece. I'd work on the KA4.

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
                  i like how the legend spoiler goes all the way to each end of the trunk. the cb flushie looks unfinished or not even made for the car. legend spoiler bolted to the trunk will fit from end to end and retain function of the trunk.
                  Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                  As much as the OEM piece is a better fit, I'm impressed with how good that KA4 piece looks in general. I think I'd try to strive for a good fit with the KA4 flushmount spoiler, but expect the project to take a lot of time before having success.
                  I'd work on the KA4.
                  I agree with both of you here, but like Elliot stated, it will take a lot of time and effort to get it to look right. I've never used body fillers before, so it's entirely uncharted territory for me. Furthermore, I made the stupid mistake of cutting off the bolts from the KA4 flushmount, so my only choice is to glue.

I'm leaning toward the OEM flushmount now, but at the same time I don't want to sell off the KA4 spoiler, which I spent more than a year patiently looking for. I can't afford an OEM replica unless I sell my KA4, which has me stuck in a dilemma. I want both now

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                  You car is far too clean and original to go mucking about with reshaping and bondoing accessories to it.
                  Use the OEM stuff thats fits right and looks good.
                  You, Tommi, and brsteinbach all make a good case here. I pride on my car's "stock look", and the incredible fit and finish of all body panels all around.
                  I have a feeling I know what I'm going to end up doing in the end (sell the KA4 and get an OEM replica), but I'm REALLY going to hate selling my KA4 flushmount.
                  2005 Acura TSX 6MT

Comment

Each to their own but man I'd take the oem over the legend any day. Just looks so much cleaner and flush
                    1991 Accord Sedan LX: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=173444
                    1991 Accord Wagon LX: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=209652

Comment

You and I are both proud of the original look on our vehicles. I'vespecifically modified my car with OEM parts. Your car is just completely original, with some very nice accessories.

Once you have to start doing bodywork and customizing to add a non factory part, the car loses it's originality.

If it doesn't bolt on and doesn't fit properly, it doesn't belong on YOUR car, because that's the look you're going for.

Besides, I dont think the KA4 spoiler looks good anyways. Accord flushmount is without a doubt the nicest exterior accessory there is.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                        Once you have to start doing bodywork and customizing to add a non factory part, the car loses it's originality.
                        Amusing use of "originality." In this case, original means same as all other factory Hondas.

Not to belittle your point, you're absolutely right.

Comment

What about an OEM wing spoiler?

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                            Amusing use of "originality." In this case, original means same as all other factory Hondas.

Not to belittle your point, you're absolutely right.
                            Haha, good catch on that. What I actually mean by originality in this case, is the car's overall condition. Original paint, wheels, body panels, interior etc.

To go and bondo and modify accessories onto a pristine original trunk lid on a car so clean as his would almost be a shame.

I'd let him cut his bumper for intersection lights or rear fogs, but I wouldn't want to see him start sanding, mudding and painting the original parts just to add a spoiler that doesn't fit like it should.

In the end it's his car and he can do what he likes, but we know what sort of shape his car is in and it's one of the few remaining ones like that.

Comment

ive actually had a legend flushmount and i wished i coulda made it work but it was kinda broken and bent out of shape so it wouldnt of ever sat on the trunk right. id do the legend one for uniqueness but for ease of use the easy chose is the oem flushy.

Comment

Working...
                              X