Clear All

ENG: Power Steering Pump Rebuild

H311RA151N and I rebuilt my power steering pump. Here is the DIY

What you will need:
    1. 19mm wrench and socket
    2. 10mm wrench and socket
    3. Honda PSF
    4. A seal kit ( I went with Gates)

First remove the pump from the car using a 19mm wrench. Put the pump in a vice.

Remove the pully from the pump. it is left hand thread.

Pull out the pressure relief valve and clean it with compressed air. set it aside.

you can see it here. you may have to use a magnet to get it out or some pliers. BE VERY CAREFUL!

in this picture you can see the shaft seal. when the pump come apart you can replace that seal. be sure to tap it into place and make sure it is snug. this is the most common problem with our pumps!

Remove all 6 bolts and pay attention to where they go on the pump. One bolt on the inlet side is shorter than the others

The pump will come apart in 3 parts

Now that the pump is in 3 parts. H311RA151N and I do not recommend removing the bearings. they are very hard to get in.

Pull out your figure 8 seal and the oval seal and lube them up with fresh honda power steering fluid.

Pull out the other oval looking seal and put it on the back of the pump. the other arrows indicate the inlet and outlet holes. that is the back of the pump

You can then put the pump back together.

Replace the 3 seals on the pressure relief valve and the valve cover and place it back into the pump.

Reinstall it back on the car and fill you resivour with fresh Honda PSF.

Move the steering wheel from lock to lock to remove air from the system.

The is all there is to it. you just rebuilt your pump and it is good to go for another 20 years
    All in all i spent $20 on the seals and 2 bottles of honda PSF
    Last edited by RyanD; 04-01-2013, 11:07 PM.
    visit vgruk

Replace the 3 seals on the pressure relief valve and the valve cover and place it back into the pump.
    Is this step with the 3 seals on any of the pictures?
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
      Is this step with the 3 seals on any of the pictures?
      Thanks.
      yes it is. we never took a picture of it for some reason. i will get a picture of it tuesday
      visit vgruk

Comment

You guys are awesome. You mentioned that you used 2 bottles of fluid. Did you have the empty out the reservoir to do this? I just recently replaced the fluid in my steering system. I don't want to waste too much of it. I would imagine that when you take the 2 hoses off, the fluid will spill all out from the reservoir?
        Thanks.

Comment

Is there a propr way 2 bleed the power steering fluid? When I took engine out and put it back in. I just poured fluid in but some1 said on here these a way 2bleed the system
          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

You guys are awesome. You mentioned that you used 2 bottles of fluid. Did you have the empty out the reservoir to do this? I just recently replaced the fluid in my steering system. I don't want to waste too much of it. I would imagine that when you take the 2 hoses off, the fluid will spill all out from the reservoir?
            Thanks.
            1 bottle is really all you need. If you just tie the hose off that feeds the pump you should be OK. I think used half a bottle in total. i just got 2 to have an extra one.
            visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
              Is there a propr way 2 bleed the power steering fluid? When I took engine out and put it back in. I just poured fluid in but some1 said on here these a way 2bleed the system
              The only way i know how to bleed the system is to turn the wheel from lock to lock. It works quite well.
              visit vgruk

Comment

Great write-up. Will be doing this soon.
                MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

Hey Ryan, are those o-rings or seals? I think they are tiny o-rings right? Where did your pump leak in the first place? The shaft seal? Or the front seal?
                  How many seals and o-rings total in the kit that we need to replace? How long total did it take for you guys to rebuild the pump?
                  Do you guys have an torque specs for the bolts that hold them together and the torque specs for the pulley nut?

I thought I read some where that you rebuilt the pump still in the car. Fluid must have leak out all over your car.
                  Here's the diagram for the pump with seals and o-rings. Which are the number of the 3 seals you mentioned? Where's the valve cover for the pump? Looks like you got to watch out for losing that pulley key, number 16 on the diagram.

Thanks.

Comment

Answers are in this

Hey Ryan, are those o-rings or seals? they are orings I think they are tiny o-rings right? Where did your pump leak in the first place? it leaked at the shaft seal the first time. the seconed time it leaked from every where. The shaft seal? Or the front seal?
                    How many seals and o-rings total in the kit that we need to replace? the shaft seal, the 3 internal seals, and the 2 seals for the valve. How long total did it take for you guys to rebuild the pump? about 2 days we could never figure out the problem with the pressure relief valve. it should take you 3 mins to and hour with this diyDo you guys have an torque specs for the bolts that hold them together and the torque specs for the pulley nut?we never did get the specs. we just tightened them nice a snug

I thought I read some where that you rebuilt the pump still in the car. Fluid must have leak out all over your car. i did rebuild it on the car the first time because i had no place to set it on. there was not that much flud come out of the pump. it does not hold as much as you think.
                    Here's the diagram for the pump with seals and o-rings. Which are the number of the 3 seals you mentioned? 26, 20, 22, 23, 19 and 25 in the picture Where's the valve cover for the pump? valve cover? Looks like you got to watch out for losing that pulley key, number 16 on the diagram.
                    your thinking to hard mate i didn't even know you could remove it!
                    Thanks.

i hope this helps im here for your PS pump needs

i hope this helps im here for your PS pump needs
                    Last edited by RyanD; 03-11-2013, 10:25 PM.
                    visit vgruk

Comment

Hey Ryan,
                      Would you think the pump leak from the shaft seal due to the valve clogging? Then the 2nd time from every where due to the valve clogging as well? So I guess dirty fluid clog the valve? How easy is it to clog the valve? Mean if it was easy then lots of pump would leak at the shaft at lower mileage right?

What would you suggest that I use if I don't have a vice? Leave it in the car?

Thanks.
                      Last edited by Bad_dude; 03-11-2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

What do u mean lock to lock.
                        **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                        Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                        Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
                          What do u mean lock to lock.
                          All the way one way and all the way the other
                          visit vgruk

Comment

Ryan, it looks like you are having trouble with the pump you rebuilt? Would you keep us up to date as to what's wrong with it?
                            Thanks.

Comment

Ryan, it looks like you are having trouble with the pump you rebuilt? Would you keep us up to date as to what's wrong with it?
                              Thanks.
                              I will for sure. i will post here every step of the way.
                              visit vgruk

Comment

Working...
                              X