SRS wiring diagram / SRS expertise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRS wiring diagram / SRS expertise

Alright, please hear me out before you direct me to things I've already read. I had a guy on Facebook show the prowess of the Facebook community telling me things I already know.

But the forums are always smarter and have better reading comprehension anyways.

Supplemental restraint system. I ain't gonna use it. It's caused me nothing but grief. It's gonna get gone.

I don't care about an air bag. I've never cared about an air bag. I won't miss an air bag. I don't care if it's dangerous or whatever, it doesn't matter. I only care about one small thing in the entire system. My effing horns. I want the horns to work. I don't care about anything else to do with it.

Now, what parts of the SRS system can be removed and my horn still work?

I've basically taken all of it out so far... All I need is the wires that go to the horn, and horn relay.

Since I plan to keep using an SRS wheel from a newer Accord, I will also keep using my clock spring too. So I don't need to put a new connection on to it, or use a different one. But I do need to make sure the horn wire is, well, connected and in the right place.

Unfortunately, all the wires are gosh dang grey and my wiring manual is all like, "don't touch that stuff, you aren't worthy." or more like, "You don't know, so I can't tell you."

So if anyone knows anything about this, other than the usual advice of, "leave it alone", I'd be super grateful. If not, that's fine too, I'll figure it out eventually.

Tommy kaira?

I'm 99% sure all yellow loom items can be removed and your horn will still work fine, as yellow is SRS only, but does us a photo of your clock spring connections.
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

No the horn and cruise control pass through the SRS loom. I used a multimeter to figure out which wires passed straight through from the horn plug to the plug under the dash. Then just used some other wires to make the connection between the steering wheel and the plug under the dash. I have some pictures of this in MR thread. I'm not sure if I fully documented which wires it was though.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

What Rilas said. The SRS loom is actually isolated from the rest of the cars wiring. It is dedicated to the air bag and the air bag only. What you have to do is look for the wire colors after (or before) the connector and match it to the proper color for horn.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Oh okay, thats interesting, as every other honda I've worked on with SRS was totally seperate.

Is there no wiring diagram?

Comment

Yes, I'm Tommy Kaira. I appreciate you guys actually reading what I'm saying and listening.

I more or less assumed that the horn wire was sort of separate, but as far as I can tell every wire coming out of the plug that goes into the clock spring is grey.

If someone could tell me where the horn wire goes to from the SRS loom, that would be nice even. That way I can start tracing them back with the multimeter.

I just thought there might be some sort of specialty SRS manual somewhere, because even in the service manual it basically says, "don't work on this, just don't touch shit that's yellow dude."

Also, secondary question, will the SRS light go off without the computer there? It's not a big deal either way, really, just curious.

Comment

Check this out, should help you out. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175403

As for your secondary q, I'm not honestly sure, but it's not like removing the bulb is hard.

Also, looks like your australian, like me. It's a rarity, I have a small fb group that deals specifically with Australian accords as some details are different to the usdm models and some info isn't relevant/incorrect in relation.

If you're interested, CB accords Australia.

Comment

Actually no, I'm sorry. I'm not Australian. I didn't mean to deceive you. I have a lot of Australian friends and also I don't want my family to find me online because I'm an asshole.

That being said, this is somewhat helpful, but I guess I'm phrasing what I actually need poorly.

I need to know where both ends of the horn wire is in the SRS loom. I knew where the horn came out on that end (but I forgot so thanks for linking that), but I don't know where it goes from there.

I'm going to be cutting the rest of that crap out of the car.

Once I know where the horn wire ends up I can start tracing it with my multimeter and find out the exact one.

Im doing this sort of backwards from most people because I'm doing something a bit different.

I'm using a CD column, keeping the clock spring, so I'm keeping the SRS connectors for it. I'm going to be using a steering wheel from a newer Accord.

The only real reason I'm getting rid of the SRS crap is because I already ripped the dash out and I really don't care about any of it. I don't really want the airbag going off if I'm in a collision because I'll probably get a harness eventually anyway and it's always been annoying to work around.

Comment

Alright, sorry for double post, but I figured it out.

If anyone rips their entire srs harness apart here's what you need if you're doing the incredibly specific thing I am.

Grey 22, 23, and 24. You actually don't even need all of those if you don't care about cruise, but those are the horn and cruise control. They go to a small connection under the column. It's that simple.

Thanks for that link you sent, that helped a lot.

Comment

I'm glad it worked!

Comment

Does the haynes manual not show these wires to trace? I was 100% certain all wires were listed in the electrical section of the manual and where they went.

Comment

Well, some of them are. Maybe in the regular manual, but I don't think the standard manual wiring diagrams are as well labeled as the separate electrical troubleshooting diagram book is.

Most of the system was in it I found, I was just looking at the wrong thing like an idiot. However, a few wires weren't listed.

Ironically the wires that weren't listed were the ones I actually needed, hence the confusion.

Anyways, for those of you also doing this, here's what I am left with after I gutted the SRS system.

Here's my new srs harness lol

Comment

Working...
                        X