Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Reman starters any good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reman starters any good

My starter is dieing I'm looking through and what's best for the money
    Options are

Bosh, beck arnely, denso , and a cheaper one .. Should I spend more and buy new or get a reman

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
    Do it once, do it right.
    Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
    Missing My
    White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

fuck new. Get either a used oem one or just get one from autozone. Most are the same, different quality standards. Stay away from kregans...I have to many issues with them. But get one with lifetime warrenty.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Alright autozone or napa huh... All I get is I put my key in and flick it and nothing but I can hear the gas going into the head ..... I tapped on the starter and it started like nothing was wrong ..... So I'm thinking my starters done

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
      Do it once, do it right.
      Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
      Missing My
      White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

If you can take apart the starter motor, or starter solenoid, you could clean contacts provided there is enough meat left on the contacts.

I have re-man starter motor on my car for last 40k miles with no problem.
        A&P-IA

Comment

i don't have any qualms about using re manufactured starters either. They're cheaper than buying brand new and easier to find to be honest. Now i have used one that i grab from the salvage yard for the 5spd conversion but you have to be smart about those and not grab one where the hood was open exposing it to the elements. It would also be very wise to have it tested before installing.

Comment

The remans are just as good as the one you can rebuild. All you need is to replace are the contacts, the plunger or just sand smooth out the plunger. It cost around $25 or so.

Comment

About two months ago, I went to Autozone and was trying to get a new solenoid for my starter because mine was going out. And the starter was $82 and the solenoid was like $95. I could not believe it was more, even the guy working there could not believe it. Long story short, I bought the aftermarket one with a lifetime warranty.
              "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

Originally posted by schierholz View Post
                Alright autozone or napa huh... All I get is I put my key in and flick it and nothing but I can hear the gas going into the head ..... I tapped on the starter and it started like nothing was wrong ..... So I'm thinking my starters done
                ive never had anything good from napa! all i ever got was junk! i went thru 6 starters, 3 water pumps and 4 caps on my s10, before i realized it was cuz napa only carries junk! ever since i used autozone or advanceauto they r all holding up fine.

i would say starter is done for the cheapest rout id get one at you're near by jy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan101 View Post
                  ive never had anything good from napa! all i ever got was junk! i went thru 6 starters, 3 water pumps and 4 caps on my s10, before i realized it was cuz napa only carries junk! ever since i used autozone or advanceauto they r all holding up fine.

i would say starter is done for the cheapest rout id get one at you're near by jy.
                  Well that sucks.. it's been the complete opposite for me out here.

Comment

yes it does!!! and im not bs, even my buddys know to stay away from napa parts lmao. but it could be just the 3 napas around my area.

Comment

Just to clarify, "Reman" starters are just rebuild OEM starters.
                      They are perfectly fine to use.

The only things that really fail in the first place are the Solenoids.
                      The starter brushes and solenoid contacts simply wear out, as can be expected on any motor/solenoid.

Personally I'd take a rebuilt OEM starter over an aftermarket starter anyday.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I just replaced the starter in my '93 Accord yesterday. Car has 328K on it, 200+k are miles I have put on myself. I was going to order a Nippon Denso reman off of Amazon but knew it was going to take a week to get and decided I couldn't wait that long. Got an "Optima" reman from O'Reilly Auto Parts which was in stock for $80 + tax after core charge refund. I LOVE it! They must have remanufactured it with some newer different type of technology because it has a completely different sound when it turns over. It literally sounds like a different, newer car when you turn it over and it starts lightning fast. I have to admit I was skeptical when I opened the box and took out the starter and it said 'remanufactured in Malaysia', but the documentation was excellent and so is the warranty. Needless to say I am very happy with my choice so far.

Just my .02....

Comment

Originally posted by kevinswwi View Post
                          I just replaced the starter in my '93 Accord yesterday. Car has 328K on it, 200+k are miles I have put on myself. I was going to order a Nippon Denso reman off of Amazon but knew it was going to take a week to get and decided I couldn't wait that long. Got an "Optima" reman from O'Reilly Auto Parts which was in stock for $80 + tax after core charge refund. I LOVE it! They must have remanufactured it with some newer different type of technology because it has a completely different sound when it turns over. It literally sounds like a different, newer car when you turn it over and it starts lightning fast. I have to admit I was skeptical when I opened the box and took out the starter and it said 'remanufactured in Malaysia', but the documentation was excellent and so is the warranty. Needless to say I am very happy with my choice so far.

Just my .02....
                          worn out starters have a funny noise sometimes.
                          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Here is my view:

1) Reman OEM starter meant they historically had a problem with it. It was given as an exchange and subsequently fixed. Hence why some parts places have exhange programs.

2) Reman OEM starters are subject to business interest (of what is still plenty of life, is cost to put another 15-20 yrs of life worth the price it is sold for since these cars are old, ownership retention are low and risk of not lasting past the warranty period is low). They can subjectively choose what part/s to change only.

4) Reman OEM starters have been opened and can be subject to human error. Hence why some are reliable and others repetitive junk is purchased. It depends on the quality of the work and experience of the person repairing them.

5) Reman OEM starters may easily just have been picked from the JY, tested to still work, cleaned on the outside, spray painted the outside and repackaged with a premium price tag for the superficial work.

My Choice: 2nd hand Junk Yard

Why?

1) 99.9999% of cars in the JY are usually in there for other reasons other than a faulty starter. It will work.

Sure they are old but you can pick and choose from a lower mileage vehicle.

2) OEM examples have lasted 15 to 20 yrs. I would say many more originals are still going. In any case unopened OEM from the JY are rock solid and would have plenty of life for the regular poor joe (that may not be retaining their CB for another 20 yrs).

3) JY often give you a warranty so there is still peace of mind.
                            Last edited by JDMDriver; 04-22-2012, 08:11 PM.
                            Rides:

Accord
                            92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                            96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                            88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                            92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                            95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                            92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                            91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Working...
                            X