Modem and Router search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modem and Router search

I am sorry if i post this on the wrong area. My Netgear C3700 N600 is on its way out as it keeps dropping the connection an irritating amount of times a day. I did have the gateway for 3 years so i guess i got my money's worth out of it. Does anybody have any sugestions? I believe we are set up for the 55mbps plan, there are only 2 people in the house and mostly use it for streaming and the occasional PS3 shooter game. I was leaning toward an Arris 6141 or a Motorola equivalent since they seem to be the same thing; paired to a TP Link AC1750 but i keep reading about issues with both regarding the same issues i am having already. I kind of feel compelled to get the same one i already have but the ability to upgrade a single system whether router or modem sounds more appealing not to mention that it allows for more choices.
    I KNOW we have some networking gurus in here that can point me in a direction. I will say though that i am going thru a dry season right now so dropping a couple hundred might not be an option.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

I’ll ask the people I work with what’s the best for the money given the price range. Will text you with what I find.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
      I’ll ask the people I work with what’s the best for the money given the price range. Will text you with what I find.
      Thanks Chris, at first i thought it was the service but even through Xfinity my unit does not show up in the system to send a re boot signal, it really sucks that i cannot even watch Field of Dreams and weep in peace without the stupid thing stopping to load.

Comment

So my wife went and got a router and modem today, we hooked everything up and called Comcast to set up the new gear and apparently they are getting no feedback which she said could mean the outlet or line could be the issue. Tech is coming on Wednesday to look at issue hopefully everything is solved and I can get decent Internet again.

Comment

Okay cool. Work friends just said do not buy Motorola and go with the Arris.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
            Okay cool. Work friends just said do not buy Motorola and go with the Arris.
            They are the same hardware.

In fact I do believe that Motorola owns them.

Also as for routers, Linksys is usually pretty decent for the price. Just don't get their modems those suck majorly, as I had one that got rid of for a moto modem.
            The CB7 Collector.
            Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
            92 LX Coupe F22A1
            2013 Toyota Corolla S
            92 EX Sedan F22A1
            Originally posted by deevergote
            Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
              They are the same hardware.

In fact I do believe that Motorola owns them.

Also as for routers, Linksys is usually pretty decent for the price. Just don't get their modems those suck majorly, as I had one that got rid of for a moto modem.
              According to guy at store;

Linksys and Belkin are same company
              Motorola and Arris are same thing and even use similar numbers.

My problem turned out to be not the router but Comcast box, Coax cable And connections in the house; found this out when they came out here but after i had already bought and opened a new router and modem.

Comment

So weird that you can buy your own routers. I'm assuming that's right off their demarc? In Canada the ISP provides you with the router. So it's fiber on pole > their demarc /media converter to CAT5 (in your garage) > to their router. You could enable 'pass through' on their router to your router if you wanted. And our ISPs business packages do this. Oh, I only have two ISPs to choose from. So don't piss them both off :P

But I think you are connecting your router off their demarc/media converter?

Either way, TP-Link. Recently new to the game, cheap, but... I've heard no complaints. Up here we have the usual, Linksys, Cisco, Netgear, Dlink, Asus, Apple, .... I tend to lean towards Netgear or Dlink. I've seen Cisco pair up with Linksys for cheap end stuff. I prefer Netgear or Cisco.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  So weird that you can buy your own routers. I'm assuming that's right off their demarc? In Canada the ISP provides you with the router. So it's fiber on pole > their demarc /media converter to CAT5 (in your garage) > to their router. You could enable 'pass through' on their router to your router if you wanted. And our ISPs business packages do this. Oh, I only have two ISPs to choose from. So don't piss them both off :P

But I think you are connecting your router off their demarc/media converter?

Either way, TP-Link. Recently new to the game, cheap, but... I've heard no complaints. Up here we have the usual, Linksys, Cisco, Netgear, Dlink, Asus, Apple, .... I tend to lean towards Netgear or Dlink. I've seen Cisco pair up with Linksys for cheap end stuff. I prefer Netgear or Cisco.
                  You have the option to lease their stuff for a $10 or so montly charge or you can buy your own, provided that it "supports" their service. A cheap N300 is what you get from them for $120 a year, you can get the same modem/router combo for $89.99 or so at pretty much any box store here. Where I live I believe we only have two providers as well.

Comment

N300. Always bothered me that they started releasing hardware that throttles a connection (wifi or not). I miss back in the day where a router was a router. It wasn't throttled back to 300/600/900/1200Mbps etc.

Same as missing software (antivirus) that you buy and it works forever. Now you have to renew every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                      N300. Always bothered me that they started releasing hardware that throttles a connection (wifi or not). I miss back in the day where a router was a router. It wasn't throttled back to 300/600/900/1200Mbps etc.

Same as missing software (antivirus) that you buy and it works forever. Now you have to renew every year.
                      Yearly subscriptions to everything too!

Comment

Working...
                      X