Auto Tranny Woes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Tranny Woes....

So last week my cb9 D4 light goes solid and the tranny goes into limp mode(2nd and 4th only). After some reading I figure my tcu is bad. Last time the tcu went out it was shifting all over the place intermittently and after replacing a resistor on the board all was well...until now. I took the board out and looked at it and there's gunk underneath a couple different capacitors and in 1 other spot. Thinking the tcu is toast. I've been driving like this for about a week now is this car is my daily and I don't have a choice. Looked for a tcu over the weekend but they're like gold at the salvage yards so no luck. Besides this primary issue though, it's also doing something else. Every so often when I put the key in the ignition and start the car it refuses to unlock from the park position, and it's sounding like there's a relay clicking under the dash somewhere. I know I need a tcu, but what else could be wrong? I've read everything from the shift lock solenoid in the console to the solenoids on the tranny under the hood as a possible cause to the tcu going bad again. Before anyone asks, I have not checked any tcu codes as my CEL plug appears to be up under the dash somewhere. Assuming this happened when the shop put in a new heater box. HELP! Can't keep driving it like this!!!
    i roll my wagon slo, f22b style...

i dont mean to be "that guy" but i would do everything possible to get those CEL codes.

my best gues to the problem is just the TCU. i know when they go out odd stuff happens
    visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
      i dont mean to be "that guy" but i would do everything possible to get those CEL codes.

my best gues to the problem is just the TCU. i know when they go out odd stuff happens
      I agree and I'm to the point now that the heater box may be coming back out. Also read that if the solenoids on the tranny start failing and the resistance gets out of whack it could take the tcu out...any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by slowagon View Post
        I agree and I'm to the point now that the heater box may be coming back out. Also read that if the solenoids on the tranny start failing and the resistance gets out of whack it could take the tcu out...any thoughts?
        idk about taking the ecu out but i do know for sure it will start shifting odd. i had that happen once on the freeway. almost redlined her. it down shifted violenty to third at about 80 and for about 2 days it would shift 1st, 2nd, 4th.
        visit vgruk

Comment

Check the four solenoids on the front of the transaxle have the proper resistance. As for the interlock solenoid clicking and not working sometimes, mine did the same thing, caused by the failiure of my TCU. A bad TCU does many strange things. Other than their poor design and those shift/lockup solenoids i know of no other common causes of TCU death.

Comment

^ lightning strikes! true story
            visit vgruk

Comment

anyone know the resistance levels offhand? if they're on here I haven't found them yet but looking.....

Comment

The resistance of the solenoids should be 12-24 ohms.

Comment

So if you want to clean the solenoids, would a new gasket be needed? I can't find just the gasket any where.

Thanks.

Comment

The screens can be cleaned, just remove the solenoids and gaskets, then clean the screens on the gasket. If the gaskets brittle and breaks, honda dealer only as far as i know.
                    The solenoid itself cant be cleaned, actually getting plugged up themselves rarely happens, usually the electrical portion begins to fail and then they must be replaced. If your solenoids have actually gotten plugged, i cant imagine the terrible condition the rest of your AT is in.

Comment

Originally posted by STOCKa6 View Post
                      The screens can be cleaned, just remove the solenoids and gaskets, then clean the screens on the gasket. If the gaskets brittle and breaks, honda dealer only as far as i know.
                      The solenoid itself cant be cleaned, actually getting plugged up themselves rarely happens, usually the electrical portion begins to fail and then they must be replaced. If your solenoids have actually gotten plugged, i cant imagine the terrible condition the rest of your AT is in.
                      you can blow then out with air or de-greaser. however like you said if they are clogged then your shit is fucked.
                      visit vgruk

Comment

Working...
                      X