No announcement yet.

Wise Words From Wise People Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When your past calls don't answer. It has nothing new to say.

Comment

"You can't hold hands when they're making fists"

Heard it in an Atmosphere song, it's probably an old saying.

*ED. - "The Last to Say," that's what it was...

Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-16-2016, 03:11 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

Steven Hawking

Comment

Comment

I really liked this passage from the fantasy novel I'm reading right now by Steven Erikson (Malazan Book of the Fallen series). There's a war going on in the plot and an historian, a former soldier himself, is right in the thick of things trying to get an accurate account of this part of history. One of his projects is a running collection of deaths that he calls the List of the Fallen. The war has just taken a terrible turn to where he feels certain the group he's with won't survive a coming battle, and he takes a moment of silent thought:

Names to faces are like twinned serpents threatening the most painful bite of all. I'll never return to the List of the Fallen, because I see now that the unnamed soldier is a gift. The named soldier - dead, melted wax - demands a response among the living... a response no one can make. Names are no comfort, they're a call to answer the unanswerable. Why did she die, not him? Why do the survivors remain anonymous - as if cursed - while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?

Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was among the dead to accuse the living.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

This is great a place for my MANY diverse quotes... apologies if this is overwhelming

Though we were hired for our incomparable experience, irrefutable reputation and high moral integrity legal counsel prohibits us from admitting we engaged in potentially destructive levels of incompetence, reprehensible behavior, inexcusable negligence and deplorable lack of professionalism. In retrospect... "mistakes were made"
              -- Anonymous

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
              Groucho Marx

“The Factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment.” – Warren Bennis, Business Professor, USC

“On the internet you can be anything you want. It’s strange that so many people choose to be stupid.”

“Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer” - Sun Tzu in The Art of War

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" – Muslim proverb

National Sarcasm Society - "Like We Need Your Support"

“Those who can do… those who can't, blog”

“Love, it’s like a Toyota… you just can’t stop it”

“Business and ethics, the only place they can coexist is in the dictionary”
              -- HIP

“Nobody wants a pacemaker stamped, ‘Made in China,’ ” - Richard P. Kelly, who oversees Hennepin Tech’s manufacturing quality training programs.

Programming is like sex: One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.
              -- Michael Sinz

“This ain’t no technological breakdown, this is the road to hell” – Chris Rea

The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work.
              -- Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)

96.37% of all statistics are made up.
              -- Kevin D. Quitt

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.
              -- Will Rogers

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
              -- Werner von Braun

What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledgehammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad.
              -- Dave Barry

Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed.
              -- Helen MacInnes

Do Not Judge Those Who Try and Fail; Judge Those Who Fail To Try.
              -- Robert C. Rodriguez

Can't have everything, where would you put it?
              -- Steven Wright

The enemy of the good is the better.
              -- William "Wild Bill" Donovan

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get crappy ideas from...
              -- Woyaya - January 10, 2004

Trust yourself. Think for yourself. Act for yourself. Speak for yourself. Be yourself. Imitation is suicide.
              -- Marva Collins

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.
              -- Ferenc Mantfeld

Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight.
              -- Phyllis Diller

People will forget what you did, people will forget what you said, but they won't forget the way you made them feel.
              -- Anonymous

Everything always ends well; if it's not well by now, it's not ended by now.
              -- Anonymous

College is nothing more than a "period of training in techniques for dealing with boredom".
              -- Mike Stone on Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (translation by Jay Rubin)

Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
              -- Rich Kulawiec

It was such a lovely day I thought it was a pity to get up.
              -- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), "Our Betters", 1923

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
              -- Solomon Short

The average human has about one breast and one testicle.
              -- From Statistics 101

America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
              -- Sigmund Freud (1856 - 1939)

Delay is the deadliest form of denial.
              -- C. Northcote Parkinson

If a train station is where the train stops, what's a workstation?
              -- Roger B. Dannenberg

Whoever said, "It's not whether you win or lose that counts," probably lost.
              -- Martina Navratilova

No such thing - bad student. Only bad teacher.
              -- Mr. Miagi, The Karate Kid

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
              -- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

The only sure thing about luck is that it will change.
              -- Bret Harte (1836 - 1902)

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
              -- Edith Wharton (1862 - 1937), Vesalius in Zante

The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.
              -- Albert Einstein

Russian roulette for admins... # [$[$RANDOM % 6] == 0] && rm -rf / || echo 'You live'
              -- Yaroslav at webhostingtalk.com

A girl can't analyze marriage, and a woman dare not.
              -- Lady Troubridge

It's not enough that I succeed. Everyone else must fail.
              -- Atilla the Hun

The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
              -- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
              -- Philip K Dick

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when it’s waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
              -- Hunter S. Thompson

If it can go wrong - it will go wrong!
              -- Murphy's Law

Computers are like air-conditioners: they stop working properly when you open Windows.
              -- Anonymous

Don't let school get in the way of your education.
              -- Mark Twain

If you are lonely when you are alone, then you are in bad company.
              -- Jean Paul Sartre

A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic.
              -- Joseph Stalin (1879 - 1953)

The fish trusts the water, and it is in that water that it is cooked.
              -- Haitian Proverb

'Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!' - Bill Gates, 1981; 'Windows 95 needs at least 8 MB RAM' - Bill Gates, 1996; Logical conclusion: 'Nobody will ever need Windows 95'
              -- Anonymous

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!
              -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Smithers... I don't believe in suicide, but if you'd like to try it, it might cheer me up to watch.
              -- Montgomery Burns

Linux is only free if your time is worthless
              -- Anonymous

Be an optimist, at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Kennedy.
              -- Anonymous

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung.
              -- Voltaire

The skill of accurate perception is called cynicism by those who don't possess it.
              -- Alan Millar

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."
              - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.
              -- Douglas Adams, HGG

Truth, like surgery, may hurt, but it cures.
              -- Han Suyin

The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.
              -- Alan Saporta

Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame.
              -- Erica Jong

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
              -- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)

Do not judge those who try and fail; judge those who fail to try.
              -- Robert C. Rodriguez

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
              -- Alfred A Montapert

Give me a firm place to stand and I will move the earth.
              -- Archimedes (287-212 BC)

I'm a great housekeeper. I get divorced; I keep the house.
              -- Zsa Zsa Gabor

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
              -- Unknown

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute - and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
              -- Albert Einstein

Truth happens.
              -- James

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.
              -- Anonymous

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
              -- Steven Wright

In ten years, computers will just be bumps in cables.
              -- Gordon Bell, 1990ish

Love is not blind - it sees more, not less. But because it sees more, it is willing to see less.
              -- Rabbi Julius Gordon

That's the secret to life... replace one worry with another....
              -- Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000), Charlie Brown

Critics are our friends, they tell us our faults.
              -- Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
              -- Unknown

Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              -- Albert Einstein

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
              -- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Fragile. Do not drop.
              -- Posted on a Boeing 757

No one dies a virgin, Life screws us all.
              -- Michael J. Trent

Never regret something that once made you smile.
              -- Amber Deckers

Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.
              -- Thomas Jones (1892 - 1969)

Women think men will change after marriage; Men think women won't. They're both wrong.
              -- Anonymous

When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.
              -- Leo Burnett

Two can live as cheaply as one - for half as long.
              -- Anonymous

Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.
              -- Green's law of debate

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
              -- Bob Monkhouse

If you learn from your mistakes, then why ain't I a genius!?
              -- Anonymous

Software Industry, the unique industry where selling substandard goods is legal and you can charge extra for fixing the problems.
              -- Duncan Simpson

The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
              -- Mark Russell

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
              -- John Lennon

Go as far as you can see, and when you get there - you'll see further.
              -- Persian Proverb

There's a fine line between participation and mockery.
              -- Scott Adams

It gets into quota, go into numerical, set numbers for doctors or for, it could go into all kinds of things.
              -- George Bush

Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
              -- Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

They that can give up liberty to obtain a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              -- Benjamin Franklin

Artificial Intelligence is just shit loads of IF statements.
              -- Shane McKinley

True friends stab you in the front.
              -- Winston Churchill

A man who kills another man is a murderer. A man who kills 10,000 men is a hero.
              -- Tolstoy

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's this day-to-day living that wears you out.
              -- Chekhov

Watch out for the fellow who talks about putting things in order! Putting things in order always means getting other people under your control.
              -- Denis Diderot (1713 - 1784)

Remember...you're just as welcome to disagree with me as you are to be wrong
              -- Craig Cole (AutoGuide – 2016-04-20) Too Many Posers Drive Jeeps

If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
              -- African Proverb
              My Collection:
              93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
              00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
              04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Unless it's thrown. Then it attracts the doctor... or possibly the police. -H311RA151N

Comment

A lie is a lie. Even if everyone believes it.

And truth is truth. Even if no one believes it.

Comment

Its best to prevent than have to baptize! My uncle Julio whom had 3 kids by age 20
                    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore.

Yeah, I'm watching Harry Potter

Accord Aero-R

Comment

If you have to put effort into it... then it's not you. Your true persona comes natural. It's shown without effort and only requires ones presence. You are who you are, not who you want to be. You cannot display an image that you haven't rightfully earned and in attempting to do so you only fool yourself. Most real people are disliked by many. This is because in a world full of false personas real people respond to others in real ways. Not the way others desire that they be respond to. But the way in which they are fairly responded to. Being true isn't only inward, it's outward as well. If people put as much effort into becoming what they desire to be instead of attempting to fool everyone into believing it they might actually achieve their dream. Being the part opposed to only playing the part. It's a shame not to be the star of your own show. It's not respectable and no real person is going to respect you for it. If you can't be you then who can? If your off trying to be someone else then who's being you? If no one is being you then in your life there is no one at the helm and you are adrift. Because your priorities are what someone else thinks of you first and foremost. Isn't that counterproductive? Quit trying to be something your not and just be who you are as of right now. If your afraid people won't like you oh well. The truth is they never liked you anyhow. See where this is leading? If your fake then everyone around you is also fake. Your prancing around in your self made wonderland which is merely a fabricated front expecting real people to be happy and supportive. And when they aren't you get upset. But you want to know what's really sad? Those who you get upset at have a better grasp on who you really are than you do. You are stealing from yourself in every way possible and mad at everyone who doesn't play along with it. Despite what you may think... you walk down a path emptying your own pockets onto the ground. Leaving a trail of everything valuable behind believing your attaining wealth.

If one is offended they will not comprehend what is stated. It's impossible to analyze information while thinking defensively. An open mind is not defensive, biased, persuaded or motive driven. An open mind finds understanding even where differences in ideals are found.

-Me
                        Last edited by H311RA151N; 08-07-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                          If you have to put effort into it... then it's not you. Your true persona comes natural. It's shown without effort and only requires ones presence. You are who you are, not who you want to be. You cannot display an image that you haven't rightfully earned and in attempting to do so you only fool yourself. Most real people are disliked by many. This is because in a world full of false personas real people respond to others in real ways. Not the way others desire that they be respond to. But the way in which they are fairly responded to. Being true isn't only inward, it's outward as well. If people put as much effort into becoming what they desire to be instead of attempting to fool everyone into believing it they might actually achieve their dream. Being the part opposed to only playing the part. It's a shame not to be the star of your own show. It's not respectable and no real person is going to respect you for it. If you can't be you then who can? If your off trying to be someone else then who's being you? If no one is being you then in your life there is no one at the helm and you are adrift. Because your priorities are what someone else thinks of you first and foremost. Isn't that counterproductive? Quit trying to be something your not and just be who you are as of right now. If your afraid people won't like you oh well. The truth is they never liked you anyhow. See where this is leading? If your fake then everyone around you is also fake. Your prancing around in your self made wonderland which is merely a fabricated front expecting real people to be happy and supportive. And when they aren't you get upset. But you want to know what's really sad? Those who you get upset at have a better grasp on who you really are than you do. You are stealing from yourself in every way possible and mad at everyone who doesn't play along with it. Despite what you may think... you walk down a path emptying your own pockets onto the ground. Leaving a trail of everything valuable behind believing your attaining wealth.

If one is offended they will not comprehend what is stated. It's impossible to analyze information while thinking defensively. An open mind is not defensive, biased, persuaded or motive driven. An open mind finds understanding even where differences in ideals are found.

-Me
                          There's some good stuff in there
                          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

'To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human' - Mouse , The Matrix.

I know it's just a movie but that one line always sticks out. And I've been wanting to read some of the books that inspired the movie.

Mainly this book Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard
                            Henry R
                            Koni/Neuspeed
                            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                            1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                            Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                            made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

No one will tell you they think highly of you until they don't think highly of you anymore.

Generally, people won't be nice until they are mean.

And they won't express their appreciation until they express their dissatisfaction.

If you appreciate someone don't wait until they tick you off to tell them. Chances are if they would have known that you appreciated them they wouldn't have ticked you off.

If you don't care to give someone a pat on the back remember that when you give them a kick in the pants.

(Not that I am wise. Dumb people can say smart things... every once in a while. lol)
                              Last edited by H311RA151N; 08-10-2017, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Dont complain

80% of people you complain to dont care, the other 20% are actually happy you have something to complain about.

-Jon Gordon
                                Originally posted by wed3k
                                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Working...
                                X