Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H22 servicing and an unpleasant SURPRISE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 servicing and an unpleasant SURPRISE.

I am in the process of prepping the H22a I pulled from a parts car for a swap this coming spring. I drove the car home last fall, and even did a compression test on the motor before pulling it. The motor sounded healthy and the compression test was encouraging.

Yesterday I was disassembling the motor for a timing belt replacement and re-seal of most gaskets when I found something (well actually 13..) surprising.

In the bottom of the oil pan were 12 unshouldered and 1 shouldered bolt. The single bolt appears to be a rocker arm tip bolt, but the other ones I have no idea. I cannot see how they ended up in the pan or where they might have come from. There is evidence of the bolts hitting the oil pump pickup but no other visible damage. Can anybody identify these mystery bolts? For the record, I had not taken off the oil pan until now. I had the valve cover off to inspect but am certain I didn't misplace 13 bolt under there.

It's possible they could've dropped while it was serviced before you got it and the person never checked the pan. Or they could fell into the engine, I would say option one considering you don't know the history or even if the place that sold you the engine didn't check it over. But tear the h down and hope that nothing is wrong
    NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
    DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

You got really lucky on that one! Had one of those gotten kicked up somehow, it would have toasted the engine. Probably thank god for windage trays!
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Get a boroscope and check inside the cylinders at least.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

no kidding, that was a catastrophe waiting to happen! Are those 12mm hex nuts? they look like they could be the lock nuts from the rocker arm / cam lash adjustment screws.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

That's some

Did you find out where they came from?

Comment

Either they were in the pan when it was serviced, or someone tried sabotaging the engine which is still fucked up.

Dez nutz were heavy so it would be very unlikely that they would do some sort of damage.
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Looks like someone dropped a few jam nuts when they were doing a valve adjustment or rocker arm replacement!
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X