No announcement yet.

Old houses suck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine was built in 1925, bought it 5 years ago. What a thread I can relate to!

It's a mission style home aka Spanish style with the flat roof, common around that time in California. Recently during heavy rain all day, a puddle of water formed in my basement and it got worse. I found out my roof drain dumps into a stand pipe that goes to the City's sanitary sewer. My sewer main had backed up somewhere near the sidewalk (where there's a clean out for viewing). I had a plumber out to snake the standpipe, since there's no snakeable cleanout in the yard. And you can't snake the clean out in the sidewalk. He wasn't able to break through so he couldn't charge me his $250 fee. But watching him I figured I could do it, and I found a 4" clean out just below my crawlspace in my middle bedroom (abs pipe that 2 toilets and showers dump into). I rented the 100 foot snake from somewhere, and snaked my sewer pipe all the way to the street. Cleared whatever was clogging it.

The projects and stuff to fix never ends. It's no wonder I haven't finished the CB7. But I like fixing shit and learning new shit. But how I will ever access the sewer pipe below the kitchen sink or even the main sewer pipe (cast iron) from below that side of the house is beyond me. Hope I never have to replace it there. Might have to break through the side of the house or something. No room in the crawlspace to get to it.

But, it's a beautiful house and only 2.5 miles from the office.

My swap thread
    Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Working...
    X