Info about Honda's lifetime seatbelt warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info about Honda's lifetime seatbelt warranty

Here's some info in case any of you were wondering about replacing your seat belts. My car's belts have probably never been cleaned, so they're a little stiff. Not too bad, nothing a good cleaning wouldn't fix. But the problem I have with them is the front shoulder belts are frayed where the belts have rubbed where they exits their mechanisms.

I thought they were good candidates to be replaced under Honda's warranty, so I brought my '91 to the dealer to have them looked at. They said the fraying doesn't fall under the warranty. I told them I disagreed per the conversation I'd had with a rep from American Honda a couple months ago.

So I got Honda back on the phone and opened up a case for one of their people to review. The person I spoke to agreed with the dealer that this would not be a warranty issue. However they did go into more detail about what might actually be covered:

1. If the car has been in a wreck and the belts are locked, or any other situation where they're locked.
    2. (automated belt cars) If the automated portion sticks in the open position, but not in the closed position.

I was looking online for replacement belts and the prices seem to vary quite a bit. Has anyone had this done? Who would you recommend?
    My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
    Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
    Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

I can't speak to the fraying problem but last year I experienced an intermittent seat belt warning light issue. While I haven't used the local dealer for service in decades I do buy a lot if parts from them. But I'm not sure how much influence this had on their decision.

After all the service guys finished gawking at the 93SE they agreed to replace the seat belt buckle under warranty which they did. I also told them not to wash the car either which they ignored. This brings me to one if my biggest pet peeves with dealers. I've never brought a car to any dealer that didn't come out with some form of damage. Naturally this time they put some slight surface scratches into the rear spoiler. Ultimately it didn't matter since it was just prior to having the car restored but still frustrating nonetheless...

My suggestion to you would be to try another dealer who may be more sympathetic and willing to work with you. While they all have rules and guidelines there is still some degree of latitude in their decision making process. You could let them know the way they treat you in this situation would go a long way in deciding where to buy parts, service or next car purchase.

Bring up how you've heard and read online how much better their service is compared to the other dealer who turned you down. Schmoozing goes a long way here... after all this is a car dealership.

Good luck and hope this helps...
    Last edited by hiptech; 01-25-2018, 11:48 AM.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Canada here, i went to the dealer and asked this question. Answer is no. Under no circumstance is a cb7 seat belt failure covered under warranty.

... for obvious reasons...

Comment

The '90 and '91 models with automatic seat belts are in a different category Raf. If I'm correct they are mandated by the Federal Government to place a lifetime warranty on these seat belts. But only those 2 conditions apply, basically if the seat belt can't hold you in the car because it's locked in the open position up by the steering wheel. Therefore not being able to restrain your shoulder in any fashion.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Working...
        X