SUS: Rotor/Bearing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUS: Rotor/Bearing removal

I figured most of the DIY's Ive seen didn't have much pictures( If any) so I decide might be good time to update.

First put car on jack stands or lift.

Grab a 19MM socket and take off the lug nuts

Take off the tire and put it under the car

Grab a 36MM socket and very large breaker bar or impact gun. ( On mine the
    nut was stuck, had to use a torch to heat it up)

Grab a 17MM, take the cotter pin out of the lower ball joint and remove the 17MM castle nut.

Use a pitman arm remover or grab a pry bar and carefully pry down on the lower control arm while a friend carefully hits the LCA to "break loose" the balljoint.

Grab the 17MM to take the caliper and pad cradle off, hang it up safely

If you want take the outer tierod if you want, I didn't

Take the 4 10MM 12 point bolts out.

Run to the hardware store and grab 4 10MMx1.25 bolts the longer the better.

Put the new bolts in where the 12 points were and hammer the shit out of them in a even pattern and the bearing will come out of the knuckle

Then take the 4 bolts that hold the rotor on off, then the Hub and Bearing will slip out of the rotor.

This is a good time to see if you need new bearings, rotate them they should be smooth, pull them they should not move side to side. If they are fine consider your self lucky you won't need to have new bearings pressed in.
    Last edited by C91BLX7; 03-23-2008, 10:15 PM.
    wat?

i think this is like the 8th DIY on this.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

woo hoo! i'm gonna be doing this soon, except adding Vigor Rotors/Calipers back on instead of regular CB7 coupe/sedan rotors.

member's ride thread
      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
      91 Accord SE 176k
      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
        i think this is like the 8th DIY on this.
        And it's the best one yet, visually. Some people don't do so well with just words, and this should help them.
        Originally posted by sweet91accord
        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
          And it's the best one yet, visually. Some people don't do so well with just words, and this should help them.
          I agree!! SO what about installation? When you put the assembly back on do you just put the bolts back on and tighten them in a pattern?

Comment

Originally posted by ph0en1x
            I agree!! SO what about installation? When you put the assembly back on do you just put the bolts back on and tighten them in a pattern?
            Pretty much Reverse, Although I haven't put it back together yet since Im waiting for bearings and CL hubs

You probably will want to file the rust off of the knuckle were the bearing sits so it will just slip back in. If not just put the original 12 points it and tighten them so it pulls the bearing in.
            wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7
              Pretty much Reverse, Although I haven't put it back together yet since Im waiting for bearings and CL hubs

You probably will want to file the rust off of the knuckle were the bearing sits so it will just slip back in. If not just put the original 12 points it and tighten them so it pulls the bearing in.

Awesome thx!

Comment

Originally posted by ph0en1x
                Awesome thx!
                yes I must say that this is a verygood thing to have put it on here with the pictures . It helps me to know what I have to do , you show me and I can get it out with no problems I broke the pin to the lug and it broke when I was tring to fix the muffler it is easy enough to fix now that I seen it done

Comment

i cant get my bearing out, i took the 4 bolts in the back off an im left with the bearing still there.......... do i go get it pressed out or beat the fuck out of it with my big ass hammer

do you hammer the 4 10MMx1.25 bolts or use an impact ?????? only reason i ask is the pic
                  Last edited by 1990Ex; 08-18-2008, 09:19 PM.
                  UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
                  NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

Originally posted by 1990Ex View Post
                    i cant get my bearing out, i took the 4 bolts in the back off an im left with the bearing still there.......... do i go get it pressed out or beat the fuck out of it with my big ass hammer

do you hammer the 4 10MMx1.25 bolts or use an impact ?????? only reason i ask is the pic
                    Hammer
                    wat?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990Ex View Post

put those 4 longer bolts you got from the hardware store and thread them into those 4 holes where the 12pts were. then start hammering away at the back of them evenly; you'll see the bearing come out w/ the hub. Then just remove the 4 bolts in front, 14mm i believe and then just swap those parts onto the new rotor by reversing the process.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

So I have the hub off......

Now about the wheel bearing. I can spin them, there is no play. But to say the spin freely?.... I don't know. I have to put some force on them, and even if I get them to spin kind of fast, they instantly stop spinning. Should the keep spinning to a slow stop? What do you think? Time for new Bearings?

Comment

Originally posted by Skiers Eat Beef View Post
                          Now about the wheel bearing. I can spin them, there is no play. But to say the spin freely?.... I don't know. I have to put some force on them, and even if I get them to spin kind of fast, they instantly stop spinning. Should the keep spinning to a slow stop? What do you think? Time for new Bearings?
                          This is normal. As long as they spin smoothly, they are fine.
                          Originally posted by sweet91accord
                          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                            This is normal. As long as they spin smoothly, they are fine.
                            sometimes if a bearing spins too much, it means that there is too much play in there. all the bearings ive played around with, they dont spin but has a slight drag and is smooth. (unless they are like skateboard or roller blade bearings)
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Sweet....

That means I don't have to buy new ones!! Thanks guys... Your the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X