Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Fuel Cut? - Bottom End?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Cut? - Bottom End?

On the way home from a store today I was in 4th gear. I pressed the gas a little and nothing happened so i pressed it further in and all of the sudden the engine kicked in and it felt like i dropped the clutch a little and it took off.

So I kind of ignored it since nothing like that has ever happened before, I figured it was a flook.

Then the same thing happened later on. I'm not sure if I was in 3rd or 4th but the same thing happened, I was at a low rpm, like 2000 or so if not lower, then when I went to accelerate everything cut out and then cut back in after a couple seconds.

Then I was at a dead stop, going into a rotary. Obviously I was in 1st. The car began to role but struggled a lot, it was like it was sputtering kind of and my exhaust was going crazy, kind of like backfiring. So I put it in 2nd hoping to fix the problem and it just continued.

I pulled off into a parking lot and let the car sit for a minute, started it up and rev'd a little to see if there was a problem. It seemed okay so I noticed my gas gauge was at about 1/4th tank but sometimes it's off so I thought maybe I didn't have enough gas and the cold wasn't helping. So I cruised to a gas station and filled up.

No problems for about an hour then the same thing happened in 1st later on. Then I drove another 1/2 hour with no problem..

What could this be? It seems every time it happens is when I'm coasting while in gear so the engine strain slows the car down, then when I go to accelerate I have the problem, but at random.

My cat is not clogged, I had it off about a month ago and I could see through it. My fuel filter is a couple years old.. The wires/cap/rotor/battery/spark plugs/air filter.. all the standard maintenance stuff has been done within the last year.

All my fluids are good. About 190,000 miles. 92 coupe lx, manual

Any ideas?

Thanks

i have a similar problem. im running a chipped p28 with my h22. i put in a different chip with a richer map and it hasnt done it since. i suppose that means its definitely a fuel system issue. i havent changed my fuel filter yet. ever. so that may be part of it. thats my first task once it gets warmer out. i havent figured out exactly what it is yet though.

if you havent changed your fuel filter in a while give that a shot. if it doest fix anything at least its something that should be done anyway! if it does fix it then maybe ill know what will fix mine!

ive also wondered if it could have something to do with the injectors or the resistor box. electronic things can fail after nearly 20 years. of course my h22 is from 94 so its newer. the resistor box is old though.

Comment

Yea I thought the filter was only a couple years old but I think I'll replace it for good measure..

I have a whole h23 IM so if it's the injectors then I'll just do the swap and clean them up..

As for the resistor box I don't have much knowledge about how it works..

How would I go about troubleshooting this problem? Looks like I need to brake out the manual.

Comment

It's getting worse. It always happens around 2000rpm. A few times I've noticed when idling that it will drop a little low and shoot back up to normal so I'm actually starting to think it may be like the aicv or fitv or something.. any ideas?

Comment

I would guess either O2 sensor or you have EGR issues.

Try taking the vacuum hose off of the EGR valve and blocking it off somehow, so no air goes through the hose. Take a drive, see if you still have problems. If not, then EGR is your problem. If you do, it's something else, and I would go after the O2.

Edit: Also, if it happens ~2000 RPM every time, then the IACV and the FITV are out of the loop.
          Last edited by benji; 01-14-2009, 02:38 PM.
          1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Thanks. I'll look into that tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Comment

you don't have any oil near your spark plugs do you? you didn't say you replaced the lower rocker arm o rings....or tube seals, so i'd check in there...b/c that can cause a missing and lack of power

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

2000 rpm bog

Well I have read a few posts in this and other forms about the h22 bogging out at about 2000 rpm. There seems to be A LOT of problems that can cause this. The most common ones seem to be timing jumping a tooth, and egr. The fuel filter is always suggested, but I have yet to see it fix this problem. I believe that the problem is somewhere in your intake manifold.

1. Clean IAC
                2. Tighten FITV
                3. Clean the HELL out of EGR and possibly drill and clean the service ports
                4. Check Timing

Those are my suggestions. I hope this helps.

EDIT: I also agree with the above suggested tube seals, that is also listed a lot.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have a whole h23 IM to put on so I guess I'll end up doing that in the cold which is going to suck. I do have oil in spark plugs because my lower tube seals are leaking.

Comment

Hmm I have this same issue but with my F22a1 at the moment.

So i should check...
                    -Fuel Filter?
                    -Electrical Grounds?
                    -EGR?
                    -FITV?
                    -IAC?
                    -IM?
                    So far i've reached 190K miles and just checked inside of my IM and looks dirty. What do i exactly do? Sorry, it's not clear to me.

*Needs*
                    -New shocks
                    -Struts
                    -Drop
                    -Cleaning
                    -New Tires/Wheels
                    -New Window Tint
                    -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

I too have the f22a1.. I just have a h23 manifold to swap onto the car if the problem is something with the IM. To clean it there're like 3 or 4 DIY's in the DIY section.. EGR/TB/IACV/FITV/EGR ports cleaning DIY's

Other than that it looks like we should check the:
                      02 sensor
                      fuel filter
                      lower tube seals
                      timing

The only thing that gets me is it always happens between 1500 and 2000 rpm

Comment

It's getting worse.. it happened all the way to 3000 today. I haven't gotten a chance to try anything yet. Cash is tight so I don't want to be replacing things that don't need to be replaced. Does anyone have any strong opinions on what they think it is?

Comment

I have the same problem.

Doesn't really matter what gear I'm in. When I press the pedal to accelerate around 2000 rpms to 3000 rpms, the car bogs down. It never dies when it's brought back to idle but only when i hit the gas and engage the clutch it starts jerking and bogging.

Comment

Exactly. Anyone know the exact problem? There isn't a CEL or anything.

Comment

Like I said

Like I said before there are a variety of things that can cause this issue.

What you need to do is start with the free stuff and knock it off the list, then get into the cheap, then into the expensive. It is almost always the cheap or free things, but people do not ever fix them.

If there was only one thing that could cause the problem we would have told you. Sorry.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X