Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first welds ever.

So I finally learning to weld. Its fun . Arc welding, 6013 stick

Hopefully with more practice i can get better, since thats what I did with like 5 minutes of welding experience
    wat?

Well your 1 step ahead of me, I really want to learn how.

Comment

Originally posted by colslaw87 View Post
      Well your 1 step ahead of me, I really want to learn how.
      At first I was a little nervous. But once you get the hang of it its pretty neat.
      wat?

Comment

Did you clean the metal before laying those beads?

What welder you using? Also, post some better pics.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
          Did you clean the metal before laying those beads?

What welder you using? Also, post some better pics.
          Yeah I went over it with a fine wire brush. It looks dirty/rusty but thats because its a piece of black pipe. its some old ass red Lincoln IDEALARC 250 machine. Ill get pictures when I get better.
          Last edited by C91BLX7; 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM.
          wat?

Comment

Welding is awsome if your doing stuff for yourself,lol. Sucks welding for others though. Specialy poor others.

Comment

I wish I had pics of my first welds. I was surprised how easy it was, but it was a Snap On MIG welder. Still most people put it up to be a hard, I never had the chance to weld with TIG. I know that will be harder.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
              "The Turtle"
              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
                I wish I had pics of my first welds. I was surprised how easy it was, but it was a Snap On MIG welder. Still most people put it up to be a hard, I never had the chance to weld with TIG. I know that will be harder.
                Just alittle bit. Mig is as easy as pointing where you want metal to go and squeezing the trigger. Making the welds right is the hard part. Welds that will last more than a few weeks on the car. Tig is a whole different ball game and is where the most skill is involved. Also, did you set up the welder? Thats also one of the hardest parts to get just right. There is more to welding then making it look like a weld and when you pull on them they don't break apart.

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
                  Just alittle bit. Mig is as easy as pointing where you want metal to go and squeezing the trigger. Making the welds right is the hard part. Welds that will last more than a few weeks on the car. Tig is a whole different ball game and is where the most skill is involved. Also, did you set up the welder? Thats also one of the hardest parts to get just right. There is more to welding then making it look like a weld and when you pull on them they don't break apart.
                  Well my shop teacher got the ball park but I had to go from there. So pretty much I did set it up myself. The welds looked good, I just really don't know how you can tell or how to make strong welds. I know mine looked good but not sure if they were strong. Well they are a little because now they have a couple hundred pounds of steel on the self I built. Sorry to be off topic a little but any tips on how to make them strong.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                  "The Turtle"
                  DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Strong welds are typically from getting the right amount of penetration and sticking enough rod in. Its just about getting it right. For a shelf it really doesn't matter much though. The first thing I made with a tig was the stand my heavy ass tv is on right now,lol.

Comment

using an mig welder is that hard once you get the "hang" of it, i have done it several times when i used to work on the body on my car a while back ...

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                      -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                        Yeah I went over it with a fine wire brush. It looks dirty/rusty but thats because its a piece of black pipe. its some old ass red Lincoln IDEALARC 250 machine. Ill get pictures when I get better.
                        Thats a very good welder actually. No matter the age.

Comment

I use mig...its pretty simple,the more you do it the easier it is for you.Now tig...different story

spoonsportsaddict

Comment

when youre burnin rod its all about controlling speed and temperature, but never expect your welds to look really nice, a stick welder is like a 5 lb sledge hammer and a wire feed is like a ball peen hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by scudweiser View Post
                              when youre burnin rod its all about controlling speed and temperature, but never expect your welds to look really nice, a stick welder is like a 5 lb sledge hammer and a wire feed is like a ball peen hammer.
                              lol and a tig is like a fine piece of medical equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X