Calling all bodymen!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all bodymen!!!

Hey guys, question for the professionals. Im doing a restoration on my 90 accord coupe. I have been in the business for about 8 yrs. however my main job was paint and prep and refinish. I have a little knowledge about body work but not a whole lot. (minor metal straightening and plastic work). I can weld and do minor metal fab. Anyway i was wondering when I do the rust repair on my left side (driver side) rear quarter what precautions should I take being the gas tank is right there. everything is stripped so I can see the tube from the gas tank opening all the way to the tank. I really am not in the mood to blow up my garage so would covering up the tank with a welding blanket suffice? Should I syphon and then vaccum out all of the fuel? any help would be appreciated as I havent done this type of work since I was in tech school, I have the basic idea down just need to know the finer details. Thanks.
    -I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it

when i did mine, all i did is relive the pressure off the system.... just open the gas cap and relive the pressure. i just made sure i lil gas left on the tank....

i don't think you have to cut and weld all the way up there, unless the rust is pretty bad.
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

I took the gas tank off the car. Didn't even think twice about it - didn't want to risk it. But the rust was really bad on my accord.

Comment

the tank does have a drain bolt on the bottom of it if you really do want to drain it.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
        member ride thread
        11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
        DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
        People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
        I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
        John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord View Post
          when i did mine, all i did is relive the pressure off the system.... just open the gas cap and relive the pressure. i just made sure i lil gas left on the tank....

i don't think you have to cut and weld all the way up there, unless the rust is pretty bad.
          the rust is pretty bad I can practically fit my forearm through the hole
          Originally posted by rexload View Post
          I took the gas tank off the car. Didn't even think twice about it - didn't want to risk it. But the rust was really bad on my accord.
          the gas tank is just held on by two metal bands right? and one main fuel line?

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
          the tank does have a drain bolt on the bottom of it if you really do want to drain it.
          I didnt even realize that thanks. I knew crx's had the drains didnt know our cars did too i guess I didnt even think to look

thank guys I actually forgot I even posted this thread up
          -I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it

Comment

Working...
          X