CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > DIYs > Exterior DIYs

Old 08-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

bcjammerx seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to bcjammerx Send a message via Yahoo to bcjammerx
HID's from $65 HID kits

Parts seem decent, we'll see how long they last.

From http://65dollarhidkits.com/

The only issue I had was that the wires connecting to the stock headlight connector are reversed. So you have to unpin them, swap, then repin

pic of all parts in box

pic of wires, top wire is pos, red and yellow on my 93 accord lx. Ignore how far the neg connector is, it slipped out.

pic of which way wires should go after pulling out. You'll need a small pic to unpin the HID pins in the HID connector. Don't try to mess with the clips that hold the pins in after you take the pins out, I snapped one trying to bend it in a manner that would make it hold tighter. Not necessary and it will brake it. It was easier for me to un-pin the HID connector, un-pinning the OEM harness is a little more involved.

The setup is really straight forward, plug the connectors into whatever they fit in and your good. There is basically an extension that plugs into the OEM harness and connects to the HID "box" The HID bulb has it's own two separate single wire connectors...again...you can't mess it up...well once you've swapped the red/black wires on the connectors that plug into the OEM harness.

My next issue was that one of the HID connectors seemed to not fit properly into the OEM harness, one fit fine, the other wouldn't connect all the way. I ended up shaving the HID harness (prolly voided the warranty ) and it fits fine now.

comparison of HID brights on and off. It'll be a while before I get night pics as I work the next 2 days and won't be driving at night. But I'll get some up

Last edited by bcjammerx; 08-29-2009 at 10:23 AM.
bcjammerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
8ball
CB7tuner Member

8ball seems to have made some friends! 8ball seems to have made some friends!
wont there be glare and bad "cut off" with the stock lense or something like that ?
8ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Hondateck2010
Contributing Member

Hondateck2010 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Hondateck2010 Send a message via MSN to Hondateck2010 Send a message via Yahoo to Hondateck2010 Send a message via Skype™ to Hondateck2010
was going to get thease but then I found a pair for $50 shipped....waiting to see what they look like

Links to my rides :
1992 Accord EX*
1990 Accord EX
1991 Accord SE (4th)
1991 Accord SE (3rd)
1991 Accord SE (2ND)
1991 Accord SE
Hondateck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Daheavyking
Contributing Member

Daheavyking is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Daheavyking
Looks good.
Daheavyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
jhoff
CB7tuner Member

jhoff is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondateck2010 View Post
was going to get thease but then I found a pair for $50 shipped....waiting to see what they look like
i have the 50 shipped ones, work great
jhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
CB7_91/DX
CB7tuner Member

CB7_91/DX is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to CB7_91/DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
i have the 50 shipped ones, work great
How long have you have them?
Accord 92 lx auto: Gone
-----------------------------------
1st to D.I.Y custom RED/CLEAR's
CB7_91/DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
[sLow]CB
Contributing Member

[sLow]CB is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB7_91/DX View Post
How long have you have them?
ive had $50 since nov 08. they work great.
[sLow]CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Isdoyra
CB7tuner Member

Isdoyra is cool... so far.
I got the 65 buck ones from Xentec since december 2007, so far so good, the only thing is that one bulb came defective and they didn't fulfill garanty case I was in other country, mmm , they could send the kit, but couldn't send another bulb, anyways some cheap ones work ok

Last edited by Isdoyra; 08-29-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Isdoyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

where are you getting the $50 kits?

These are placed in my high beams so glare is not an issue...you turn your brights off when cars come

They work great, I have a bit of flickr from my pass side but that is the side I had issues with the connector.

Also, these have to warm up. It takes a good 5 seconds before they reach their proper output. I don't recall the HIDS I've seen on factory setups taking that long to light up fully. you get what you pay for, I'm not worried about it too much.

Also, I guess that box houses everything

Against a wall during the day they seem to be much brighter...waiting to get night pics.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
konig52r
CB7tuner Member

konig52r is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to konig52r
question why hids in the high beam?
konig52r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

HID's put out more...light... So this will give me better night visibility.
I am not going to retro my low beams with projectors right now (as that is the only way to run HID's in the low beams) and I was being a test mule for that site...so...I put 'em in my High beams.

So now I can test that company's product, get better night time visibility, and when cars come I can turn 'em off so I don't blind them (as you do with high beams anyway).

I really don't like how long it takes these to "warm up"...I didn't think the would need to. I guess it's because the ballast and ignitors are all in that one little box. Seems like one needs to be outside the box and "primed" at all times to reduce this "warm up" stage. Sorry I'm not familiar with HID's that is all based on my exp. with OEM and these aftermarket HID's. OEM's kick on fast and don't warm up...they also don't have all their electronics in ONE box.

These would be fine for low beams, which once you turn them no they stay on. But high beams get turned on and off, and while the "warm up" isn't long, it's annoying to me...but many things annoy me .

All in all...as long as they don't blow out any time soon I will like them
Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
CB7H22Los
Accord of the year: 2012. Accord of the Month: February 2012

CB7H22Los is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to CB7H22Los
mines normally take like 4 secs to warm up..is that like yours?

Lou's Build Thread!
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181377
"G-Squares Are For Assholes"~PR_CB7
CB7H22Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
Hondateck2010
Contributing Member

Hondateck2010 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Hondateck2010 Send a message via MSN to Hondateck2010 Send a message via Yahoo to Hondateck2010 Send a message via Skype™ to Hondateck2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRLiTo9MM View Post
mines takes about 5-8 depending on outside Temp

Links to my rides :
1992 Accord EX*
1990 Accord EX
1991 Accord SE (4th)
1991 Accord SE (3rd)
1991 Accord SE (2ND)
1991 Accord SE
Hondateck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:54 AM   #14
Juan4DCB7
CB7tuner Member

Juan4DCB7 is cool... so far.
wow that is awesome, but since I am a noob on HID's; which kit will be good to hook up to my low beams from the website since there is around 15 different types of kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualpoet View Post
some owners think it's the best thing since titties
Juan4DCB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:07 AM   #15
CB7Man
CB7tuner Member

CB7Man is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to CB7Man Send a message via Yahoo to CB7Man
I got the $50 35W Xentek
I kinda now want the 55W HID's waaaaaaay brighter
Yea the warm up process is really wierd
I have the 6K in my lows (These turn slightly purple then back to white/blue
3K in my fogs (these take a good 35 secs. to warm, going from yellow...green...then back to yellow) I want orngish yellow lol Maybe 2.9k?

The major thing with the HIDs is the initial burn-in.
The first time you turn them on you need to let them stay on for atleast an hour. OEM pre-burns them in and their ready to go.

I never was able to let my (ironicly) driver side fog and headlight burn in properly, the headlight is slightly purple and the fog is slightly green.
I think the fog has sorta gone away but the headlight is still kinda purple.

But just incase, I always keep a pair of bulbs in my car
CB7Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:21 AM   #16
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

Here is my next issue...I don't really have a good mounting place for those boxes...comes with double sided "3M" tape but I need a mount...anyone got ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRLiTo9MM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondateck2010 View Post
mines takes about 5-8 depending on outside Temp
Yeah, mine take a MINIMUM of 5 seconds to warm up...but it hasn't gotten below 60* yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan4DCB7 View Post
wow that is awesome, but since I am a noob on HID's; which kit will be good to hook up to my low beams from the website since there is around 15 different types of kits.
I don't think any of them would be good, you would end up blinding people.

Here is a good link...I need to find a place that sells d1s when I do my retro low beams

Aside from that link, HID's are covered elsewhere on the forum, but if you need help ask away, I'm still learning but I've been looking for a while myself.

OEM HID's for lowbeams have a projector they go in (looks like an eyeball) and they have a cut off that prevents the beam from shining too far up. The cutoff is another cool thing about HID's ...your stock headlights have a cutoff but what makes HID's cut off so awesome is how noticeable it is...it's a CLEAN line, with a slight flare on the right side of the car (japanese OEM hids have the flare on the left hand side...has to do with making road signs visible on the drivers side) which is why you have to be carefull when getting headlights from overseas.

Any hoo, you'll need to retro fit the projectors into your housing, otherwise you may get pulled over, but even if you don't you blind oncoming traffic...and if you don't think that's an issue...imagine being on a small blacktop or one lane road...if the oncoming car has their brights on you can barely see to avoid HITTING THEM..if they are HID's...they will be so bright you won't even be able to see their car...just light. So don't put HID bulbs in your stock housing.

There are some HID bulbs (d2r) that have a shield built in, they were made for reflector style (our OEM headlights) and not projector style HID headlights. But I hear they still cause when used with OUR headlight housings and will still cause some glare I'm not sure about that last part there.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
Juan4DCB7
CB7tuner Member

Juan4DCB7 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjammerx View Post
Here is my next issue...I don't really have a good mounting place for those boxes...comes with double sided "3M" tape but I need a mount...anyone got ideas?

Yeah, mine take a MINIMUM of 5 seconds to warm up...but it hasn't gotten below 60* yet.

I don't think any of them would be good, you would end up blinding people.

Here is a good link...I need to find a place that sells d1s when I do my retro low beams

Aside from that link, HID's are covered elsewhere on the forum, but if you need help ask away, I'm still learning but I've been looking for a while myself.

OEM HID's for lowbeams have a projector they go in (looks like an eyeball) and they have a cut off that prevents the beam from shining too far up. The cutoff is another cool thing about HID's ...your stock headlights have a cutoff but what makes HID's cut off so awesome is how noticeable it is...it's a CLEAN line, with a slight flare on the right side of the car (japanese OEM hids have the flare on the left hand side...has to do with making road signs visible on the drivers side) which is why you have to be carefull when getting headlights from overseas.

Any hoo, you'll need to retro fit the projectors into your housing, otherwise you may get pulled over, but even if you don't you blind oncoming traffic...and if you don't think that's an issue...imagine being on a small blacktop or one lane road...if the oncoming car has their brights on you can barely see to avoid HITTING THEM..if they are HID's...they will be so bright you won't even be able to see their car...just light. So don't put HID bulbs in your stock housing.

There are some HID bulbs (d2r) that have a shield built in, they were made for reflector style (our OEM headlights) and not projector style HID headlights. But I hear they still cause when used with OUR headlight housings and will still cause some glare I'm not sure about that last part there.
Thanks BCJAMMERX, I was also asking, because about a week ago I did a blackhousing job for some guys cb (i don't know if hes a member) and he had an HID kit for the low beams w/out the projectors.
it was also pretty funny when I turned the lights on to see how they looked and since it was the first time I ever dealt w/ HID's I thought I broke them, but they were just worming up. lol

and as for the mounting you can try to fabricate a mount to bolt on to the head light bolt and put the box behind the lights as shown. (its just and idea)

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualpoet View Post
some owners think it's the best thing since titties
Juan4DCB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #18
MintCBWagon
CB7tuner Member

MintCBWagon is cool... so far.
I recommend these guys, very knowledgeable
MintCBWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #19
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

about to buy $15 wiring kit to "isolate the hid's from the OEM wiring"
http://shop.3bspecialties.com/HID-Re...ID-Harness.htm
thanks deev for the link.

Just a note, this isn't to try and improve warm up times...it's to improve safety

but if there's any difference I'll mention it

*correction...more than likely I'll just run my own wires and buy a relay from the shack...and save money.

Last edited by bcjammerx; 09-06-2009 at 10:33 PM.
bcjammerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
CB7Man
CB7tuner Member

CB7Man is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to CB7Man Send a message via Yahoo to CB7Man
I used a PnP harness for my JDM Headlights

Anyway I was able to position my balasts behind the bumper bracket on the chassis. Its right behind that crack between the headlight and bumper. Its a tight fit...and in a wreak they would be done lol but they work fine. Used sheet metal screws to hold it in aswell. No extra relay was required, the OEM wiring was fine.

For my Foglights I put both balasts inside the center of the bumper, used the tape and self-tapping screws. I had to use a relay because the factory fog harness is too long and it caused flicker.

And an "Isolation" Harness is quite useless, your OEM harness has TWO relays for your headlights.
I will not burn out your factory relays, unless ofcourse your relays are already bad.
Now when reffering to the Foglight relays, then yes you do need a set. The fog relays are way underpowered.

Last edited by CB7Man; 09-10-2009 at 04:44 PM.
CB7Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: