How to Maintain New Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Maintain New Paint?

How long should I wait before first wash? What kinds of *products* are there available
    for *fresh paint jobs? Anything special? What about *car wash* places? I really never thouht too highly
    of a stream of air and water *blasting* any paint job ..
    Soap? No soap? I've heard many different and conflicting opinions Hot water vs cold ..?

Hints? Suggestions? Tips? Products? Brands?

I'm curious, because just before my paint is done ...I'ma ask my painter what he says ...
    Just wanna see what the *experianced* cb7tuner member has to say .. anyone out there in the Business?

Mahalo
    Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Car wash places aren't that great. But it also depends on which one you go to and what they use. Everyone has their personal opinion on whats best. Check out Autopia.org

Comment

let the paint cure for about 2 weeks after you get it out from the body shop, before taking it to a car wash or even waxing it. i wouldn't recommend a regular car wash. try to find a reputable hand car wash, its worth the extra money..unless you wash the car yourself.
      5.6L V8 32V DOHC
      JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Power washing at those spray car washes is NOT GOOD FOR ANY PAINT.. it forces water into pockets that are between the bumpers and such and stays in there. You will think you have all the water out, but it will just cause rust in the future.

Also, when you wax a car.. if you don't get all the wax off.. like the wax that gets stuck between the door handle and the body.. that can form rust too if you don't get that out.

Always hand wash the car, and use a polish to keep the paint fresh and clean. My body man hardly ever waxes his car, and he's had it painted for 6 years and it's still good as new.

If you are to wax it, wait at least 3 months. My car was just pained, but I'm not even going to drive it for a while because it takes about 30-50 days for the paint to harden completely. Thats why you get rock chips so easily right when you get the car back.

So, I'd just use a polish to keep the clear coat clean and shiny, and only hand wash it at your house with a bucket of warm water and good car wash soap.
        Adam - Retired OG member from '03
        2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
        2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
        2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Hey thanks guys ...

Yeah, I always knew that those *car washes* sucked .. but I did take mine to one before taking it to the shop..
          lol ... it was as if I was fighting a fire or something .. geeeeez, thas alotta power, it couldn't be *too* good
          for any paint, whether it was new or not ..

Whats the best *polish*? .. Anyone recommend one over the other? It's been awhile since I
          had a car painted .. technology has taken leaps and bounds I'm sure ...

Thanks again
          Tomi

Comment

Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish is a really good polish to keep the paint looking fresh and clean.

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguia...&subcatagory=3

As for the soap and stuff, I always used the Gold Class car wash soap and shampoo.. not expensive at all either.

Adam - Retired OG member from '03
            2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
            2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
            2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

woah .. kewl ..
              I even got pictures .. thanks Adam !!!

I'll be sure to *save* this info for when I get ready ..
              I want my car back already !! lol

A Hui Hou !!!
              Tomi

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda
                Hey thanks guys ...

Yeah, I always knew that those *car washes* sucked .. but I did take mine to one before taking it to the shop..
                lol ... it was as if I was fighting a fire or something .. geeeeez, thas alotta power, it couldn't be *too* good
                for any paint, whether it was new or not ..

Whats the best *polish*? .. Anyone recommend one over the other? It's been awhile since I
                had a car painted .. technology has taken leaps and bounds I'm sure ...

Thanks again
                Tomi
                been quite awhile since this post, but i guess information can always be used by others.

i just started using a lot of poorboy's products, and have been very satisfied with the results. for a polish, i've been using poorboy's professional polish- can be used in the sun or shade, and works great on windows as well (literally no need for windex on the car).

i get mine right here

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Working...
                X