Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

jdm headlight lense recondition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jdm headlight lense recondition?

the clear coating on the lens is starting to flake off is there like kit i could buy to reapply the coating? The lenses are plastic if i remember correctly.

to do it right, sand it all down and get a paint shop to reapply a clear coat for you

temporary fix?

sand it all down and polish with plastic-x, it'll look ok for a week or so and it'll be super hazy.

Comment

sand it depending how badly start at 320, 400 , 600 then mothers metal, aluminum polish, and plastex it. no clear coat needed. u can repolish them on the car in about 3-4 months with just aluminum and plastex polish to keep them looking brand new out the box. this method lasts MUCH longer than a WEEK my friend ^^^^^
      Last edited by xkjnboix; 02-16-2010, 06:14 AM.
      frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Im confused as to what the hell you are talking about.
        JDM headlights are plastic. Y would they have a clearcoat on them?
        kjnboi is right, if you go up in sand grades, you wont have to do it again for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by zack_odom View Post
          Im confused as to what the hell you are talking about.
          JDM headlights are plastic. Y would they have a clearcoat on them?
          kjnboi is right, if you go up in sand grades, you wont have to do it again for a while.
          They came like that from factory. Most JDM and even USDM plastic headlights from different car makers not only honda come with a thin clearcoat on them to protect the lens. If you were fortunate to grab a set of used JDM lamps in prestine condition, you wouldn't even notice the clearcoat unless the lamps already had pitting from rocks or scratches or either got sunbaked causing it to reveal itself more.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
          JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
          1994 Prelude V-Tec
          1999 CL 3.0
          2000 Prelude
          2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
          1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
          1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
          1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Huh/ Well then I guess my headlights are pristine then.

Comment

Originally posted by zack_odom View Post
              Huh/ Well then I guess my headlights are pristine then.
              me too
              Summer 11' Big plans (Bodywork/paint/rims etc..) in Progress STAY TUNED

CLICK THE PIC

Comment

i think it's more of a thin plastic film. it doesn't seem like a paint. later.
                Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

exactly

Comment

Who has polished their plastic lenses, and exactly how long does it look fresh before it starts to haze up?
                    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

If polished properly the haze will not return

Comment

i dunno if its a plastic film or paint or what but its flaking and im trying to get it looking like new, ill probably have a paint shop do it for me so i wont mess it up. you can kind of see it in the pic but its more noticable in person, the top part of the head light you can make out the line.

Comment

Polish them. with a buffer. Or an electric drill with a buffing ball on it.
                          And some MEg's Headlight lense restorer.

Comment

alright thanks ill give it a try.

Comment

It's not a clearcoat. It's a UV film to help protect from the sun (as well as minor scratch resistance). After a bit of searching, it appears some shops may offer a UV coating that can be sprayed on. There are also film applications available (seen a porsche with yellow or blue lenses? Same thing).

Depending on the condition of the lenses you want to start out around with a rather coarse (not so course it leaves permanent scratches and grooves in the lens though) sandpaper. I'd start out with 320 (wet/dry is best, wet paper is a little less coarse than when dry) then move up through the numbers to as high as 2000. Keep in mind to go different directions so you dont wear grooves in the lens. After each coating make sure you rinse the lenses off. When you get to around 2000 then you can use aluminum polish. Don't use a dremel as they spin to fast and cover too small of an area. Small tools like that WILL do damage. Keep to the bigger stuff (I used a powerball on my drill press at low rpms).
                              Last edited by mj213; 02-16-2010, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X