CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Performance Tech > Naturally Aspirated

Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
TuneAccordingly
CB7tuner Member

TuneAccordingly is cool... so far.
f22a6 w/f22b dohc head

If I were to go n/a with the above mentioned setup could I reach 220whp with the following modifications (basic bolt-ons included:

Head-pnp,crower stage 2/3 cams,valves,valve springs,retainers,obx cam gear
Block-12:1 bisimoto forged pistons
Ecu-chipped p28 or hondata s200
TuneAccordingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
sulimed
CB7tuner Member

sulimed is cool... so far.
why not go with bisi cams?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
brownhornet
CB7tuner Member

brownhornet is cool... so far.
Interested in the answer to this. I'm thinking of doing an unmodded version of this shortly.

Member's Ride Thread

Will work for food, car parts, or three stripe apparel. And not necessarily in that order
brownhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
TuneAccordingly
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulimed View Post
why not go with bisi cams?
I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping in my stock cams but then again I don't actually plan on instaling the head until its fully built so who knows.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
TuneAccordingly
CB7tuner Member

The reason for choosing this setup is because a major setback with the f22 is the single cam so I figured that if I swapped it for a dual cam head that could fix that problem resulting in much higher numbers and possibly revs. Also since the f22b is pretty much a f22 block with an h23 head it should bolt right up and also being that its 85mm and not 87mm that will eliminate the problem with hotspots. Right? Lol this is all speculation for me so if anyone has any suggestions I would definitely appreciate the help.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
PirateMcFred
CB7tuner Member

PirateMcFred is cool... so far.
The F22B DOHC chamber while being 85mm is still a few ccs bigger than the F22A. As a result you will lose some compression ratio and therefore some power. The OE JDM F22B cams are pretty tiny so with low CR and tiny cams you'll not get much of a boost in power over the F22A that also has low CR and tiny cam(s). Going from 8:1 to 12:1 wil get you more torque (which means more power) and better fuel economy (though you'll have to run 91 oct) and won't require much tuning on stock cams. Might get you to 155whp or so. Power will fall flat on its face at about 5300 rpm though without a cam upgrade.
PirateMcFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
visualpoet
Contributing Member

visualpoet seems to have made some friends! visualpoet seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to visualpoet Send a message via MSN to visualpoet Send a message via Yahoo to visualpoet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMcFred View Post
The F22B DOHC chamber while being 85mm is still a few ccs bigger than the F22A. As a result you will lose some compression ratio and therefore some power. The OE JDM F22B cams are pretty tiny so with low CR and tiny cams you'll not get much of a boost in power over the F22A that also has low CR and tiny cam(s). Going from 8:1 to 12:1 wil get you more torque (which means more power) and better fuel economy (though you'll have to run 91 oct) and won't require much tuning on stock cams. Might get you to 155whp or so. Power will fall flat on its face at about 5300 rpm though without a cam upgrade.
He's already planning on different cams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuneAccordingly View Post
If I were to go n/a with the above mentioned setup could I reach 220whp with the following modifications (basic bolt-ons included:

Head-pnp,crower stage 2/3 cams,valves,valve springs,retainers,obx cam gear
Block-12:1 bisimoto forged pistons
Ecu-chipped p28 or hondata s200
220 sounds possible, but your specs are pretty sketchy. What size valves? What size TB do you plan on using? What size exhaust? Little things make a big difference when you add them together.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
TuneAccordingly
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualpoet View Post

220 sounds possible, but your specs are pretty sketchy. What size valves? What size TB do you plan on using? What size exhaust? Little things make a big difference when you add them together.
H23 tb and manifold, 2.5 in exhaust, cold air intake, possibly itb's in the future
Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
TuneAccordingly
CB7tuner Member

Quote:

H23 tb and manifold, 2.5 in exhaust, cold air intake, possibly itb's in the future, and normal size valves possibly .5-1mm oversize
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
TuneAccordingly
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
So with a cam upgrade I should see 200whp easily right? But as far as the stock head its a downgrade, but has potential once you switch out for 2 big cams, right?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
TuneAccordingly
CB7tuner Member

Would it just be better to buy a jdm f22b longdblock or h23 because I know I can get an h23 for dirt cheap. Would the h23 also make more power with such mods due to the larger cylinder bore thereby making 2.3L? 87mm>85mm, 2.3L>2.2L=h23 n/a>f22n/a?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
brownhornet
CB7tuner Member

brownhornet is cool... so far.
Sorry to hijack the tread, but am I to understand that you guys are saying that putting a F22b head on a F22A6 block would be a downgrade if left stock??

Member's Ride Thread

Will work for food, car parts, or three stripe apparel. And not necessarily in that order
brownhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
visualpoet
Contributing Member

visualpoet seems to have made some friends! visualpoet seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to visualpoet Send a message via MSN to visualpoet Send a message via Yahoo to visualpoet
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Sorry to hijack the tread, but am I to understand that you guys are saying that putting a F22b head on a F22A6 block would be a downgrade if left stock??
Not so much a downgrade as not worth the effort.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
TuneAccordingly
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Not so much a downgrade as not worth the effort.
So do you think an h23 would be a better choice? Possibly a vtec head swap? Im just trying to come up with some n/a motor alternatives rather than just swapping in an h22. But if all else fails then that's just what I'll do.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #15
Joey GT-R
Joey The Merciful

Joey GT-R has a HUGE cock! Joey GT-R has a HUGE cock! Joey GT-R has a HUGE cock! Joey GT-R has a HUGE cock!
Send a message via AIM to Joey GT-R Send a message via MSN to Joey GT-R Send a message via Yahoo to Joey GT-R
IMHO if you're going to swap the head on any motor, it better be an H22 head. The head alone should get you to about 155whp I believe. Then throw in your Bisi 12:1 pistons, larger cams and simple I/H/E with a good tune....I'd say 200whp should be quite attainable. But as always the simple alternative is to just swap an H22, preferably JDM; add I/H/E and tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote
If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...
Joey GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #16
minoreparations
Contributing Member

minoreparations is cool... so far.
220whp is a little unrealisitic on this build. you'd probably be making about the same power as a relatively stock H22A but spending a ton more.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
PirateMcFred
CB7tuner Member

PirateMcFred is cool... so far.
The F22B head is about 3ccs larger chamber than the F22A. If everything is left stock on the headswap the F22A's 8.8:1 drops to 8.4:1 with similar cams. If you think about it the H23A1 is virtually the same thing as the F22B. It's got another point of compression and 100ccs more displacement and they typically dyno less than 150whp in I/H/E trim. With less compression and less displacement you'll be hard pressed to make as much or more power even with cams.

With 2.3 liter displacement, high compression, ported head, bigger cams and high-end free-flowing exhaust 210whp is possible but at what cost? For a similar investment you can make a lot more power with a VTEC head. Also with large cams on nonVTEC platforms you start sacrificing driveability.

Dollar for dollar VTEC will yeild more power once you start investing in all the expensive components.
PirateMcFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
TuneAccordingly
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
The F22B head is about 3ccs larger chamber than the F22A. If everything is left stock on the headswap the F22A's 8.8:1 drops to 8.4:1 with similar cams. If you think about it the H23A1 is virtually the same thing as the F22B. It's got another point of compression and 100ccs more displacement and they typically dyno less than 150whp in I/H/E trim. With less compression and less displacement you'll be hard pressed to make as much or more power even with cams.

With 2.3 liter displacement, high compression, ported head, bigger cams and high-end free-flowing exhaust 210whp is possible but at what cost? For a similar investment you can make a lot more power with a VTEC head. Also with large cams on nonVTEC platforms you start sacrificing driveability.

Dollar for dollar VTEC will yeild more power once you start investing in all the expensive components.
Ok so the f22b head swap is out. So im pretty much left with the h23 frankenstein or h22 swap. I figured these would be my final choices but it doesn't hurt to try lol. I know the h22 is the better choice in terms of reliability but the h23 frank would make more power easier right? So what are some pros and cons on the h23 frankenstein? How reliable is it really? And would I save any money going this route?
Old 05-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
sulimed
CB7tuner Member

sulimed is cool... so far.
if you want to hit 220 with out a bunch of problems......boost.

and it cheaper
Old 05-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
TuneAccordingly
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulimed View Post
if you want to hit 220 with out a bunch of problems......boost.

and it cheaper
As in problems do you mean it'll be more reliable to have a 220whp turbo f22 than a 220whp n/a h23 frank or h22? Because from what I know n/a is more reliable especially with an h22 all it takes is a set of bolt-ons, cams, and a good tune to get @least 200whp+

Last edited by TuneAccordingly; 05-14-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: