Cheap parts or bad installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap parts or bad installation?

Finally i found my exhaust leak today. Apperently a bracket that was welded to my down pipe had snapped off. It also appears my brother decided to half ass it ( i didnt know about cars when he fixed this so i didnt do it myself ) and put the bracket on crooked. Is it the cheap ebay part or the bad install? This would explain why my car sounded perfectly fine and then all the sudden got loud as shit

This bracket sound be rotated 90* counter clockwise

This is what broke at the bottom of the bracket

Is that the bracket that bolts to the block? if so, those things are garbage. I've had one break on my f22 header and a buddy of mine had one break on his header, his broke within a week or so. When I took my car to the muffler shop, the guy said he'd recommend not using it. So, he cut mine off and welded up the hole, no more problems

Comment

yea i think the only bracket im using is the one for a rubber hanger.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
        Is that the bracket that bolts to the block? if so, those things are garbage. I've had one break on my f22 header and a buddy of mine had one break on his header, his broke within a week or so. When I took my car to the muffler shop, the guy said he'd recommend not using it. So, he cut mine off and welded up the hole, no more problems
        why didnt he just leave it on?..saved time. it doesnt get in the way if you dont use it. mine is still on my downpipe lol
        You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
        Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

So i should reweld the holes closed and leave the bracket off?

Comment

I would. A buddy used that bracket, and he kept blowing thru the gasket that goes between the header and down pipe, because it was causing a weird angle at the flanges at said joint.

Just ditch it and weld the holes shut, you should be golden

Comment

ever since i bought my first header back in 2001 ive never used that bracket, I went through 3 y-pipe gaskets before i tried not using it, and to this day i still dont

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
              1992 Accord EX Coupe
              My FS Thread
              Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Working...
              X