CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Ramx
CB7tuner Member

Ramx is cool... so far.
my gas gauge is not working properly

so my gas gauge is not working properly i put 10 dollar on my car and the needle wont move at all what can be the problem do i need a new cluster ? and another question even if my needle is not working properly should my reserve light should turn on ? help me out because i dont wanna get stuck somewhere because i dont have any gas left
Ramx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
H22Artman
Contributing Member

H22Artman is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramx View Post
so my gas gauge is not working properly i put 10 dollar on my car and the needle wont move at all what can be the problem do i need a new cluster ? and another question even if my needle is not working properly should my reserve light should turn on ? help me out because i dont wanna get stuck somewhere because i dont have any gas left
start by putting more than just 10bux in the tank at a time. that way you know you have a significant amount of fuel in the tank. if my car is really low. 10 bux wont even move the needle.

if the gauge still fails to work then you could have a bad sending unit or a bad gauge.

i would think that the reserve light should still function if the gauge is bad. if the sender was bad i dont think it would work. but its possible that the reserve light bulb has blown too.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112
H22Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Drifting in 808
CB7tuner Member

Drifting in 808 is cool... so far.
i had a very similar problem. i put in about 5 gallons of gas and the meter didnt even move. so i knew i had enough to drive down to the gas station i filled it up full tank and it was about 35 bucks. (use 92 because i have a h22)my meter went up with no problem. hope yours will do the same.
Drifting in 808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
TypeG

TypeG is very helpful TypeG is very helpful
usually, it the Fuel Sending Unit. there's a way to test it using an ohmmeter in the hanyes manual. later.

TypeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #5
Ramx
CB7tuner Member

Ramx is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H22Artman View Post
start by putting more than just 10bux in the tank at a time. that way you know you have a significant amount of fuel in the tank. if my car is really low. 10 bux wont even move the needle.

if the gauge still fails to work then you could have a bad sending unit or a bad gauge.

i would think that the reserve light should still function if the gauge is bad. if the sender was bad i dont think it would work. but its possible that the reserve light bulb has blown too.
i put more than 10 and it goes crazy it likes go half way then fills back up and on this car i had only seen my reserve light come on once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting in 808 View Post
i had a very similar problem. i put in about 5 gallons of gas and the meter didnt even move. so i knew i had enough to drive down to the gas station i filled it up full tank and it was about 35 bucks. (use 92 because i have a h22)my meter went up with no problem. hope yours will do the same.
it goes up but it goes crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeG View Post
usually, it the Fuel Sending Unit. there's a way to test it using an ohmmeter in the hanyes manual. later.
fuel sending unit how hard is this to fix dont tell me i need to get a new fuel pump ?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
itstatcb7kid707
CB7tuner Member

itstatcb7kid707 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to itstatcb7kid707 Send a message via MSN to itstatcb7kid707 Send a message via Yahoo to itstatcb7kid707 Send a message via Skype™ to itstatcb7kid707
I have this same problem a coworker noticed my reverse light was not working

When i put gas $20 needle goes up to full after a few days of driving stays the same then all of a sudden goes below the 1/2 line. I found out that the 3/4 line is when im on empty(dont ask how i know lol)
itstatcb7kid707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
bobbycos
Contributing Member

bobbycos seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to bobbycos
also check your grounds. my 78 Malibu's gas guage would work right and it turned out to be the ground
bobbycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
wherm
CB7tuner Member

wherm seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wherm Send a message via Yahoo to wherm
My prelude cluster's fuel guage stopped working. I could smack the top of my dash and the needle would go up to where it belongs, but then slowly drop back down to empty. I bought another cluster from LKQ and that fuel guage didn't work at all. I exchanged it for a second cluster and that one works fine. I'm sure if you swap your cluster out that should fix the problem.

Also, my low fuel light worked on both bad clusters, so it was independant of the faulty needle.
wherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Ramx
CB7tuner Member

Ramx is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherm View Post
My prelude cluster's fuel guage stopped working. I could smack the top of my dash and the needle would go up to where it belongs, but then slowly drop back down to empty. I bought another cluster from LKQ and that fuel guage didn't work at all. I exchanged it for a second cluster and that one works fine. I'm sure if you swap your cluster out that should fix the problem.

Also, my low fuel light worked on both bad clusters, so it was independant of the faulty needle.
I'm trying to get it fix before I need to buy a new one I want to know to chek the fuel sending unit you guy keep talking about it
Old 10-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
cb7_with_snail
CB7tuner Member

cb7_with_snail is cool... so far.
a cb7 has a 14 gallon tank so i agree that 10 bux will move the needle so i dunno
Old 10-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
TypeG

TypeG is very helpful TypeG is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramx View Post
fuel sending unit how hard is this to fix dont tell me i need to get a new fuel pump ?
you gain access by removing the rear seat cushion. under that is a cover. later.

TypeG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: