Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

JDM H22 OBD1 vs OBD2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM H22 OBD1 vs OBD2

Yes OBD1 is easier because of less sensor I'm guessing for a swap. But is there any other differences that I should know such as:

- Problems when swapping the motor in
    - Upgrading the performance and getting more CEL's because of more sensors
    - Ways of ECU tuning
    - Compatible ECU's (will regular P13's and P28's etc work?)
    - Anything else that could happen

Main reason I'm asking is because the Type S motor only comes in OBD2.
    Current:
    2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
    1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
    1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

i beleive obd1 is more open based easier to tune compatible with most chips and can handle wat you throw at it obd2 has some restrictions? unless im mistaken i believe obd1 is a better choice thats why cb7s came with it

in the begining...

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Nub View Post
      Yes OBD1 is easier because of less sensor I'm guessing for a swap. But is there any other differences that I should know such as:

- Problems when swapping the motor in
      Same as a non-SH OBD1 H22
      - Upgrading the performance and getting more CEL's because of more sensors
      OBD2 is nearly the same, only difference is the injector plugs, distributor, and something else. As long as you replace these parts with there OBD1 counterparts, everything should plug in no problem with no CEL as long as you did everything right. Take a look in the swaps section and you will find nearly unlimited info about the H swap.
      - Ways of ECU tuning
      Same as any OBD1 ECU (chipped P06/P28 ect.)
      - Compatible ECU's (will regular P13's and P28's etc work?)
      Any OBD1 ECU will work as the wiring in the car is staying OBD1. P13 is the stock H22 ECU, P28 is a civic ECU that can be chipped and tuned for the H
      - Anything else that could happen

Main reason I'm asking is because the Type S motor only comes in OBD2.
      To be honest, you don't really need to spend the extra to get a Type S motor. Just get a regular ol' H22A and spend the money you saved on some upgrades like a cam and Skunk2 intake manifold. Those two with a good tune will probably get you pretty close to the Type S numbers.

Originally posted by 4DRCB7ftw View Post
      i beleive obd1 is more open based easier to tune compatible with most chips and can handle wat you throw at it obd2 has some restrictions? unless im mistaken i believe obd1 is a better choice thats why cb7s came with it
      CB7s are OBD1 because they were made before cars even started using OBD2 in '96.
      Last edited by EJX_Michael; 02-18-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I also had a question along the lines of this, so the difference between the 92-95 and 97-98 H22's is the OBDI/II part, right? Performance-wise, out of the box (or crate), they're the same motor?.....

Comment

USDM H22a1 has 190 BHP...USDM has H22A4 has 200 BHP along with the JDM H22 as well.
          www.PreludePower.com
          BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

Originally posted by 4DRCB7ftw View Post
            If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't waste our time with useless posts...

To add what hasn't been mentioned already in this thread:

The OBD2 H22As (well, 97 on, anyway) were open deck, whereas the OBD1 ones were closed deck.
            The OBD2 H22As have larger crank journals.

Comment

Wohooo. This thread is full of fail answers.

First of all,
              1. When it comes to H22a's, Every H22a And H22a1 is OBDI. (When it comes to USDM and JDM im not sure about EDM). H22a's and 1's came from a 4th Gen Prelude that was produced from 92-96. Therefore any H22a/1 from 92-96 is OBDI. From 97-2001 when 5th gen prelude came out, it also got a "new" motor H22a4. This is pretty much this same motor (yes, most parts will fit h22a4 if they came from h22a1.) except they were OBDII.

Now, you're going to ask Whats the difference?
              Well, OBD stands for On Board Diagnostic. You might think "Hey, that sounds like it has to do something with electrical!". Well, you're right. The only main difference that "we" (people who swap those engines into our accords) must look at are 3 parts:
              - Distributor
              - ECU
              - Fuel Injectors (Not NECESSARY but recommended).

If you get h22a4 (assuming that it is a BASE model not Type S) all you really have to do is get a NEW distributor that came of from h22a or a1, P13 ECU (For a start if no high modification was done to a car) - and yes there is no need for tuning the ecu, and if you really want to make sure that your car runs well, 4 Fuel Injectors that, once again, came of h22a or a1 (These are 345cc OBD1 Peak/Hold Injectors).
              Why doing this?
              Well, if you hold the distributor from the h22a4 and h22a1 you will notice that they have different plugs. Also, the ecu that came from BB6(5th gen prelude) has different plugins and the plugs going into ecu won't fit.

Remember, this is the safest and (trust me) easiest way to get an H22a4 in our accords. It might sound scary, it might take more time, but its worth it. Why?

H22a and H22a1
              4th Gen prelude, USDM and JDM - HP (NOT BHP, thats a different story) = 197
              5th gen prelude, USDM and JDM (BASE MODEL) - HP (Not Bhp once again) = 197.

Wait.... these are this same numbers - Exactly. Theoretically h22a4 will be a "healthier" motor.

Note to yourself. YOU will NOT be able to put Type S motor + the Tranny that came with it because these guys have ATTS. Therefore unless you can modify your chassis and half-shafts, go for it. Im not sure either if you can use just the motor and a different tranny. I've only worked with base model.

Good luck and hope this helps.
              I gotta go to work... Peace
              Last edited by DariuszZ; 02-19-2011, 05:42 PM.

Comment

The 5th gen Prelude motor in Japan was still called H22A, though it was the same design as our H22A4.
                Get your facts straight before you start calling other people's answers "fail".

Comment

also, i believe the 96 prelude was OBD-2.
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

It was, yes.
                    I'm pretty sure the 96 H22A (H22Ax) would be the only OBD2 H22A to have a closed deck.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      The 5th gen Prelude motor in Japan was still called H22A, though it was the same design as our H22A4.
                      Get your facts straight before you start calling other people's answers "fail".
                      my bad.

But i dont think 4th gen prelude ever came in OBD2
                      Note sure and i cant refer.
                      Last edited by DariuszZ; 02-19-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

1996 was the last year for the 4th gen Prelude (as I posted just above you.) and it was indeed OBD2.

Comment

yea, i knew they were produced in 96, but i thought honda stuck with obd1 till the end of 4th gen.
                          Oh well, thanks though.

Comment

Nah, the OBD requirements weren't up to the manufacturers. They didn't have the 5th gen ready for production in 96, so they had to convert the 4th gen in the last year. There are OBD2 H23A1s, and I believe OBD2 F22A1s out there as well!

Comment

Good stuff + good to know.
                              Im sure cb7NUB got his answer now haha.

Note:
                              When i said "fail answers" i wasnt referring to your post! When i started writing it, your post (the one before mine) wasnt even there yet!
                              Last edited by DariuszZ; 02-19-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X