Air bag to non airbag steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air bag to non airbag steering wheel

Got a Prelude wheel for my 93 SE, which has SRS.

Any issues to remove the airbag wheel and install a non airbag wheel?

Nope, you just need to remove the SRS light, unless you like red lights

I'm not exactly sure how to go about wiring the cruise control and horn though

Comment

if they think to look, you will fail an inspection if you make the switch. this doesn't really stop many people.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Don't need inspections here, so it doesn't matter.

Don't care about cruise, I deleted it in my sedan anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
          Nope, you just need to remove the SRS light, unless you like red lights

I'm not exactly sure how to go about wiring the cruise control and horn though
          You're right Tip .. Should that "SRS light" be in the cluster or, is there a fuse somewhere for it?
          I read somewhere else that it may also be a good idea to disconnect the battery cables?

I have the Prelude 2.0Si wheel (if that's the one you got Mikey) 4 horn button, leather wrap.
          It was plug n play for me .. but that was my 90CB .. now that I have the wagon.. err

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

You guys are going to need a couple things:

-Non-SRS steering column & combination switch covers
            -Non-SRS Slip Ring assembly
            -Non-SRS Cruise Control wiring
            -Non-SRS Horn wiring

Remember, with the non-SRS column cover and a SRS dashboard bezel, you're going to have a gap between the column covers and the bezel.

You might find this diagram useful:
            My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Joshy View Post

-Non-SRS Horn wiring

Remember, with the non-SRS column cover and a SRS dashboard bezel, you're going to have a gap between the column covers and the bezel.
              Oooo, I nebber thought aboutz that Josh .. oops!
              Buuut, if I don't need or want the CC, or the SRS .. all I'll just have to deal with is a "gap"?

It can't be all that difficult to swap out "steering column & combination switch covers"
              Minus the SRS light .. can it ?

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Joshy View Post

-Non-SRS Horn wiring

You might find this diagram useful:
                Awesome Josh!

So, I should just take the clock reel from the Prelude I got the wheel from?

I remember I used the Prelude wheel and clock reel on my non SRS SE.

I don't mind a gap. A gap looks better than a 9293 OEM SRS wheel.

Comment

just to add to this thread... i've nearly completed swapping a 88-91 prelude non-srs steering wheel into my 93 dx. i say nearly because i'm still working on getting a proper steering column cover (bezel) on. anyway, yes you should take the clock spring from the prelude that the steering wheel came from. also, snip the wire that comes out of the clock toward the dash harness so that you may attach the wires for the horn and cruise control buttons. to cancel the srs light, head to your local electronics store (not radio shack) and buy yourself a 2ohm resistor. 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt will work. i used 1/2 watt myself. then attach the resistor to the fourth and sixth connections on the harness side of the steering wheel wiring harness... as per this picture:

the horn is the left and somewhere online you'll have to find out what the second, third and fifth connections are because i only needed the horn as my dx only has that feature lol!

good luck. peace.

p.s. unfortunately with my steering wheel the back of the wheel does not meet the turn signal cancelling cylinder. i've got to cancel my signals manually now.
                  1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

p.p.s. take all the screws with you that you remove with the clock spring. when installing on your cb they'll come in handy. lastly, the wheel will sit much closer to the dash, preventing you from using the stock bezel and putting the wheel very close to the turn signal and windshield wiper stalks.

peace.
                    1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
                      just to add to this thread... i've nearly completed swapping a 88-91 prelude non-srs steering wheel into my 93 dx. i say nearly because i'm still working on getting a proper steering column cover (bezel) on. anyway, yes you should take the clock spring from the prelude that the steering wheel came from. also, snip the wire that comes out of the clock toward the dash harness so that you may attach the wires for the horn and cruise control buttons. to cancel the srs light, head to your local electronics store (not radio shack) and buy yourself a 2ohm resistor. 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt will work. i used 1/2 watt myself. then attach the resistor to the fourth and sixth connections on the harness side of the steering wheel wiring harness... as per this picture:

the horn is the left and somewhere online you'll have to find out what the second, third and fifth connections are because i only needed the horn as my dx only has that feature lol!

good luck. peace.

p.s. unfortunately with my steering wheel the back of the wheel does not meet the turn signal cancelling cylinder. i've got to cancel my signals manually now.
                      What is "the wire that comes out of the clock towards the dash harness"? Im trying to do this to my Accord. Also, what connectors did you use to plug these wires into the airbag harness?

Comment

Hope you dont mind if i used your picture, apalileo. But here is the cruise control locations

Original draw up

IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU EFF UP MESSING WITH YOUR WIRING HARNESS. This worked for me and it should work for anyone else.

Comment

Good info in here guys.

Turns out I'm not building the 93 anyways, and building the 90, so the Prelude wheel will fit with no issues on that.

Comment

I am having a tough time finding this resistor at the stores. The only electronic store is radio shack in my neighborhood.

Closes I found is a 2.2K-Ohm resistor but I doubt this is correct. I found this online:

2.0 Ohm 1/2W Flameproof Resistor 10 Pcs.
                            http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...rtnumber=002-2

Would this be the right part? The color seems like it is yellow brown red gold. Is this correct?

Thanks!
                            Last edited by Qiko; 07-21-2012, 03:17 PM.
                            92 DX Sedan - Auto

Comment

Working...
                            X