CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Performance Tech

Old 06-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Need4speed
CB7tuner Member

Need4speed is cool... so far.
H22 Vs. F20b

okay so my F22b died on me yesterday. now i'm looking to get a more powerful engine and it's between the H22a and the F20b. i don't have a lot of experience with honda engines, so i need your help. let me know your opinion and why?

about to get my hands dirty!
Need4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
pedroalcala
CB7tuner Member

pedroalcala may have said something they shouldn't have...
Send a message via AIM to pedroalcala Send a message via MSN to pedroalcala Send a message via Yahoo to pedroalcala
they are pretty much the same thing...as far as to what i know...

remember, the f20b vtec is OBD2
and h22a (92-95 or 96 to) is OBD1...unless you get the type s 97-01 h22a or h22a4....

the f20b, you have to get the obd1 h22 or h23 dizzy, an OBD1 p13 and OBD1 h22 injectors for your f20b to work....

Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
cb7_with_snail
CB7tuner Member

cb7_with_snail is cool... so far.
There's more preformace backing of the h22. Its your best bet man.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Need4speed
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
There's more preformace backing of the h22. Its your best bet man.
Yea I'm been doing research and that's what it looks like, the f20b is cheaper that's why I gave it any thought!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
fatboy1185
Big Cat

fatboy1185 seems to have made some friends! fatboy1185 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via MSN to fatboy1185
Here's my old F20b setup. On all season tires, slipping clutch, blah blah. 2.3 sixty footer lulz. 192/154 on a poor tune. With sticky tires, would of been in the 13's fo sho. 14.3 @ 99mph with bolt ons.

6'6" 235lbs
fatboy1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
CB7Nub
Canadian Regional Moderator

CB7Nub is cool... so far.
This has been covered numerous times. If you do some searching you'll find a LOT of results.

To sum it up, the F20B is a destroked H22A Type-S made so Honda could compete is a special racing class for 2.0L and under. Problem is F20B is OBD2 so wiring is different and it's not a direct swap. You have to change some things. H22A is more displacement and has A LOT more aftermarket support. I would go H22A hands down.

Keep in mind both engines use premium gas and a tranny swap I would HIGHLY recommend as your F22B tranny is not geared right for the higher revving H22A or F20B.

Past:
1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

CB7Nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
cb7_with_snail
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy1185 View Post
Here's my old F20b setup. On all season tires, slipping clutch, blah blah. 2.3 sixty footer lulz. 192/154 on a poor tune. With sticky tires, would of been in the 13's fo sho. 14.3 @ 99mph with bolt ons.

Yea but how much do u have in your motor? Money wise.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
The F20B has iron sleeves, unlike the H22's FRM sleeves. Personally, I like the FRM, and I've never had oil-burning issues that people tend to associate with them. However, the F20B's iron sleeves are often seen as a positive thing.

The F20B is less common, so you can be "different"... however, it looks like an H22A to most people, and to people that know nothing about these cars, they wouldn't even know it doesn't belong in the CB7! So your "different" status is really among other Accord owners (who aren't all that impressed by it anymore), or among anyone you specifically tell what you have.

The F20B has a higher redline, so you get the fun of revving it to the moon. Of course, it's getting older, and high revs are very hard on an engine... so the older it gets, the greater risk that becomes.

Those are the benefits to the F20B... and even when listing them, I can't help but throw in some "buts"

The downsides are:

It ONLY comes in OBD2... therefore, you will need either a full OBD2 conversion to your car (not happening), a fully tuned ECU, or an H22's P13 (which won't run it properly, but good enough not to damage it.) The OBD2 swaps are a little more complicated than the OBD1 H22A swaps as well. Not bad, but an extra step or two.

It shares many things in common with the H22A, so some parts are easy to find. However, any parts that are F20B specific will be more difficult to find, since we never got that engine in the US. It is unlikely that you could go to Honda and order a part that is unique to the F20B. Now, I don't know which parts these are in particular, or if you'd ever even need to replace such a thing... but it's something to consider.

The F20B comes in two varieties... a 200hp manual version, and a 180hp automatic version. You really can't tell them apart (I believe the difference is in the cams... the manual version has H22A Type S cams, and the auto version has regular H22A cams.) So you'll have to trust whatever importer you buy from, or risk getting the lower powered one.

Honestly, performance-wise they're very VERY similar. The H22A is more well-rounded and more supported. That's what I would go with, personally. Just be sure you get a healthy one.

A number of shady companies have been hiding links on my site to generate search engine backlinks. Google has caught on, and is now penalizing these companies. Now these companies want ME to remove the links for them. Since they created the links, they may remove them. Hidden in single-pixel images here are links to over a dozen companies that have abused this site, and ignored/refused my instructions to remove their links. Each link found in this signature will be removed as soon as I am notified that all other links to that site are removed from this forum.
deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
fatboy1185
Big Cat

fatboy1185 seems to have made some friends! fatboy1185 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via MSN to fatboy1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
Yea but how much do u have in your motor? Money wise.
Not much at all. I/H/E, IM, TB....that's about it.

6'6" 235lbs
fatboy1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Need4speed
CB7tuner Member

thanks fellas, i'm going with the H. now i just have to find one and get it put in.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
cb7_with_snail
CB7tuner Member

I know me too. I used to hate h swaps cause I could never find one and never have the funds. But I just got hold of a ligit blue top(just missin a piston.) For damn near nothin.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
HATCHing
CB7tuner Member

HATCHing is cool... so far.
Base on my own experience I love the H22 for the lowend torque and the F20 for the high revs. I prefer the 2.2 for displacement.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Darkcloud
CB7tuner Member

Darkcloud is cool... so far.
I choose the f20b over h22 anyday.

I have a personal reason as to why. Honestly they are almost the same, and both can be built to the same power output as long as you have funds.

I'm doing something diff with the f20b I'll dyno against a h22 with the same mods and post up sheets when the time comes.

T hopefully things go well when you swap

Wait they will I'll be there lol

Last edited by Darkcloud; 06-23-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
Need4speed
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
I goose the f20b over h22 anyday.

I have a personal reason as to why. Honestly they are almost the same, and both can be built to the same power output as long as you have funds.

I'm doing something diff with the f20b I'll dyno against a h22 with the same mods and post up sheets when the time comes.

T hopefully things go well when you swap

Wait they will I'll be there lol
yea man i can't wait to get the swap started Tuesday is payday so things should get moving very soon

Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #15
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

SOHC-FTW seems to have made some friends!
I've road in both h22 swaped eg hb an a F20b eg coupe bolt on vs bolt on the F20b was faster not by much seemed to keep pulling as where the H didn't.H22 as said has good DD'able low end get up an go an honestly the F20b isn't far off, but still lacking a bit compared to an H.All an all if i had the money i'd go with the F20b, but like i an others have said they are a pretty close match.

Acura Legend driven daily
SOHC-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #16
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
While they are indeed close, the H22's powerband is lower, in a much more usable area. The F20B has to be revved to make use of it's power. Revving also puts more stress on an engine.

A number of shady companies have been hiding links on my site to generate search engine backlinks. Google has caught on, and is now penalizing these companies. Now these companies want ME to remove the links for them. Since they created the links, they may remove them. Hidden in single-pixel images here are links to over a dozen companies that have abused this site, and ignored/refused my instructions to remove their links. Each link found in this signature will be removed as soon as I am notified that all other links to that site are removed from this forum.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
Darkcloud
CB7tuner Member

Darkcloud is cool... so far.
Thats a yes and no statement.

Yes on stock parts depending on how you mod, but if modded and tuned can be made to have a similar power band or well balanced power band even then wont cosr as much depending on how you attempt to make it
Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #18
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

True... but I'm comparing stock for stock. If we factor in modding and tuning, you could throw just about any engine into the mix. You could make roughly H22/F20B power from a modified F22A for about the same cost (if you know what you're doing)

Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #19
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy is cool... so far.
H22 man

F20B is awesome, esp w/T2W4 trans

But the CB is too heavy. H22 has more torque. Midrange is prob better on the H, esp w/a lowered VTEC crossover + tune.

Cheaper too if you consider the OBD2 to 1 conversion

Just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #20
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

The difference in torque is actually pretty insignificant. Not to mention, the F20B is found in a heavier car than the CB7 (as is the H22)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: