Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

I want a subtle system(sub and amp)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a subtle system(sub and amp)

OK well I don't want to be one of those asshats that shake the entire neighbourhood when they drive by(if that's your thing cool, no offence) but I want some more bass then the Kenwood set-up provides...I'm not asking brands cause I know the answer is personal preference and budget.

SO i'm thinking of running 2-10" subs but, is an amp necessary for 2 subs? or would 2-10 even do a whole lot and/or should I just consider going with 2-12's?

I'm not really an audio buff and most of my buddies don't care either, except one who thinks I should follow him and his 2-15's in 300lb custom boxes(individual boxes) he's all about the bass, doesn't care if he hears the music just the rumble.

thanks for your time, my dudes!
    MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
    1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

An amp is necessary with any sub. I had 2 10" and I was the asshat that shook the whole neighborhood just so you can get an idea. Even 1 10" is properly installed and powered will sound good. A sealed box will sound a lot better and not be so loud and muddy as a ported box. I know you don't want brands but Kickers are great if you can get a good deal on them. It's really up to you. 1 or 2 10" or 1 12" with a good sized amp will do fine. Also, upgraded front and rear speakers do wonders I have Pioneer 4 way 6x9's in the back and 6 1/2" components in the front. They sound beautiful. A good headunit is mandatory. I listen to all types of music and depending on how loud I have my subs any genre can sound good. I had the loudest system amongst my friends with the 10" so what I'm getting at is it's all about the quality of the install and the products you use.

Comment

so 2-10's are plenty excellent, well I know I can get a good price on Hertz, Kenwood and probably Audison for 10's with Hertz and Kenwood being cheaper but price wont matter too much

Comment

With the 2 10" subs you can accomplish the same sound with one 12" sub.Takes less space.I have one 12" sub pointed at the deck and it thumps. Nothing over the top and nobody hears my system unless i crank it.

Comment

Originally posted by ferenza View Post
          With the 2 10" subs you can accomplish the same sound with one 12" sub.Takes less space.I have one 12" sub pointed at the deck and it thumps. Nothing over the top and nobody hears my system unless i crank it.
          well thats good to know too, a 12" and an amp. I know there are amp's that are mono and dual channels...anything I should consider here?

Comment

Jking72- "OK well I don't want to be one of those asshats that shake the entire neighbourhood when they drive by"

Honestly you could do ok with a couple of 10"s. Ive never had a 15" or a 12" that had good, clean, fast hiting bass and hit every note.

Ive had ALOT of diffrent set ups. I bet ive had 15 diffrent systems.

And one 12" sub doing the work of two 10"s is not completely true. The key word he used there is can. Bigger isnt better. In any way, shape, size or form. Ive had a 10" that was 300watts at 4ohms that was as loud as a 15" at 1000 watts at 2 ohms. And thats not just me saying that, thats using a decible meter.
            Last edited by H311RA151N; 08-03-2012, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SWMO View Post
              Jking72- "OK well I don't want to be one of those asshats that shake the entire neighbourhood when they drive by"

Honestly you could do ok with a couple of 10"s. Ive never had a 15" or a 12" that had good, clean, fast hiting bass and hit every note.

Ive had ALOT of diffrent set ups. I bet ive had 15 diffrent systems.
              well my buddy is one of those asshats he has 2-15s in 300+lb boxes and you can hear him from a mile a way when he's driving nearby...

I am leaning towards the 2-10's set up but any help on the amp(mono/dual/multi channel?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jking72 View Post
                well my buddy is one of those asshats he has 2-15s in 300+lb boxes and you can hear him from a mile a way when he's driving nearby...

I am leaning towards the 2-10's set up but any help on the amp(mono/dual/multi channel?)
                I was that guy a few times!

You can use a mono block amp for what you are doing. Its cheaper and easier to find a mono block amp that meets your wattage requirements.

This should help you understand that. http://www.ehow.com/how_5957943_brid...-two-subs.html

EDIT: You can go for a 2 channel amp and it would be very easy to use.

A multi channel amp would be more for speakers instead of subs.

So really you need to decide if you want to bridge a pair of subs on one amp or if you want to wire it up simple.

If it were me i would find a 2 channel amp. Its more reliable and its easier on the amp.
                Last edited by H311RA151N; 08-03-2012, 01:05 AM.

Comment

I was that guy a few times!

You can use a mono block amp for what you are doing. Its cheaper and easier to find a mono block amp that meets your wattage requirements.

This should help you understand that. http://www.ehow.com/how_5957943_brid...-two-subs.html

EDIT: You can go for a 2 channel amp and it would be very easy to use.

A multi channel amp would be more for speakers instead of subs.

So really you need to decide if you want to bridge a pair of subs on one amp or if you want to wire it up simple.

If it were me i would find a 2 channel amp. Its more reliable and its easier on the amp.
                  thank you for the help brother.

Comment

I agree, I've had bridged subs before and although the math is easy, it's easy to mix things up and never realize it. My 2 tens were 4 ohm subs and I was bridging them together like they were 8 ohm. So I thought my 2 channel amp would have a bridged load of 4 ohms when in reality it was 2. It ran super hot and I had my gain all the way down wondering why it was so hot and cutting out. I realized my mistake and just used one channel per sub. So if you get 2 subs just get a 2 channel amp that will put out the same max watts at your subs ohm rating as your subs max watt rating and you should be fine, you can go less just not more. If you get one sub get a mono amp unless you foresee 2 subs in the future. Get a quality name brand sub you wont regret it. Set your gains to your liking. Since you aren't going for loudest you can set the gain by ear just don't go crazy with it. Make sure your head unit doesn't have bass booster cranked or anything and enjoy your system. I have 4 ga wire running back but if you want to save money you can go 8 ga just realize you can't put as much power through it. And the fuse installed close to the battery for that power wire should be what ever the fuse(s) are on your amp added up plus about 10. That should be safe.

Comment

i paid $100 for this at my bestbuy because it was on clearance.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=2823265

$100 for a box.(for subs)

$50 cables etc...

=

$250 Decent ass system. just be sure to turn sub +5 and DM+ on if ur playing from usb(as we all should be..the CD is dead).
                      Last edited by tutsuo; 08-03-2012, 11:00 AM.
                      Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

I had 1 Alpine Type R 12" in a sealed box with an old school Profile CL600M.... that thing fucking banged, I missed that system, they fucking stole it from me.

I upgraded to a 15" Rockford Fosgate, again sealed box, bigger amp, took up way too much space in the trunk though. Box had to be like 2 cubic feet, Alpine system was like half its size.

I would def go 1 12, 12s get lower than 10s for sure, but still have that small sub punch in a sealed box. Perfect size, would def do again.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                          I had 1 Alpine Type R 12" in a sealed box with an old school Profile CL600M.... that thing fucking banged, I missed that system, they fucking stole it from me.

I upgraded to a 15" Rockford Fosgate, again sealed box, bigger amp, took up way too much space in the trunk though. Box had to be like 2 cubic feet, Alpine system was like half its size.

I would def go 1 12, 12s get lower than 10s for sure, but still have that small sub punch in a sealed box. Perfect size, would def do again.
                          Type Rs are just loud anyways. They wernt made for sound quality. Ive owned two 12" Type Rs and a 15" Type R. They were good but not clean.

Most 12"s still have problems hiting high notes. 12"s will hit the lower notes alot better as you said but it all depends on what you listen to. 10"s will play damn near anything and always sound good IMO.

Comment

You could look into 8" subs? a couple nice 8" with a nice amp wouldn't be to much..

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                            BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                            Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                            CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

Type Rs are just loud anyways. They wernt made for sound quality. Ive owned two 12" Type Rs and a 15" Type R. They were good but not clean.

Most 12"s still have problems hiting high notes. 12"s will hit the lower notes alot better as you said but it all depends on what you listen to. 10"s will play damn near anything and always sound good IMO.
                              I had big 7" mids + somewhat decent deading in my doors so I got good coverage up top

But I remember the Type-R not having any boominess or "hang"... it was just tight and accurate within its freq range. Prob any sub worth spit in a sealed box would do the same though

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                              X