Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spark plug wires resistance specs for CB7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug wires resistance specs for CB7?

Hey guys,
    My car: 1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan 4Auto.

I am trying to improve my car gas mileage and was wondering how the spark plugs wires come into play. I have used a voltmeter set to 20Kohm. The brands that I used to measure and compare are Honda OEM brand Sumitomo, NGK, and Ebay brand Performance Racing red wires. The wires size for Sumitomo and NGK is 7mm and the red Ebay Performance Racing wires are 9mm. The length for the wires are about the same for the corresponding cylinders. The measurements are below, the Wire# correspond to the cylinder wire/number:
    -Sumitomo (Honda OEM wires)--Only $25 on Ebay new.
    Wire#4--7.11
    Wire#3--10.12
    Wire#2--10.58
    Wire#1--13.00

-NGK---About $35 new on Ebay.
    Wire#4--4.29
    Wire#3--5.64
    Wire#2--5.81
    Wire#1--6.68

-Red Performance Racing--New on Ebay about $40, which I bought 4 years ago.
    Wire#4--0.25
    Wire#3--0.38
    Wire#2--0.42
    Wire#1--0.53

Here are the questions:
    1) Honda's service manual says the specs should be less than 25Kohm. Base on this info, this is a huge difference. Is the lower resistance better for efficiency and gas mileage? Or the higher resistance is better?
    2) The wires seems consistent as the length increases across brands. Out of these 3 sets, I don't think any of the wires are defective physically. The set I was using is NGK. The Sumitomo set is the original ones from the car.
    3) What are the resistance on your wires?

So maybe you guys can list your model and brand of wires that you have and gas mileage. If you have your own measurement, please list so we can compare.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bad_dude; 08-30-2012, 11:02 PM.

Stock plug wires should be around 10k ohm per foot. Don't be fooled by the low resistance claims of most " high performance plug wires". Keep your car tuned up according to the manufacturer specks if it is still stock and you will get the best gas mileage the car can get.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Comment

What I don't get is the recommended brands are Honda's OEM which is Sumitomo, NGK, and Denso.
      I cannot speak for Denso since I don't have them. But NGK and Sumitomo difference is almost twice, so which set of wires are better for a stock car? NGK is of lower resistance.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
        What I don't get is the recommended brands are Honda's OEM which is Sumitomo, NGK, and Denso.
        I cannot speak for Denso since I don't have them. But NGK and Sumitomo difference is almost twice, so which set of wires are better for a stock car? NGK is of lower resistance.
        Thanks
        Low resistance is of no value to a stock engine. If you where using a higher voltage ignition system then It would help only in the wires lasting longer. Don't waste your money on expensive wires just get the OE wires.
        Now if you have a high compression high reving or boosted engine then it would be of value to get a better ignition system. One of the advantages is that the spark won't blow out durning boost and in high compression and reving engines the response time for the plugs is faster. It is really more complicated than what I am describing here . My preference for stock wires is NGK just be cause I also use NGK plugs.
        Last edited by vh22accord; 08-31-2012, 10:22 PM.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Comment

So if both Sumitomo and NGK are consider OEM equivalent, then why is Sumitomo is about twice the resistance to that of the NGK? Or does it really matter?
          Thanks.

Comment

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

Have a look at this link it explains things a lot better than I can.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Comment

Working...
            X