EGR blockoff plate questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR blockoff plate questions

Hey everyone! I got some EGR questions. Since the purpose of an EGR is to help warm up engines in colder climates, what if I blocked it off while I am living in SoCal where the weather is starting to get hot? Second, since I will be relocating to Washington within the next year, will I have to re-install an EGR or can my baby handle herself without it during the cold weather? And last but not least, didnt we have a fellow member who fabricates EGR, IACV, and FITV blockoff plates, and if so, who is this member?

"There are only two types of people in this world... Those who run & win, and those who sit at the sidelines & watch the winners pass them by."

My YouTube Channel! - There's more videos here!
    Check 'em out, hit LIKE, or even better, stay updated with more vids when you SUBSCRIBE, including vids of my JDM H23A swap!

Here is where I bought mine at.....I had no issues with it and had a buddy of mine turn off the egr on my ECU so I wouldn't get a CEL. Also bought my FITV block off plate there too. Fit with no issues.

http://www.custombilletworks.com/products.php?goto=7
    3 CB's gone....
    1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

The purpose of an EGR is emissions reduction, not cold weather driveabilty.

If you have a hookup at your Honda dealer, order part # 18711-PM1-J00. Its an OEM EGR blockoff for a 2006 Civic Si. Nice thick cast aluminum piece, and the discounted price should be around $8
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
        The purpose of an EGR is emissions reduction, not cold weather driveabilty.

If you have a hookup at your Honda dealer, order part # 18711-PM1-J00. Its an OEM EGR blockoff for a 2006 Civic Si. Nice thick cast aluminum piece, and the discounted price should be around $8
        And this will fit my F22A4?

"There are only two types of people in this world... Those who run & win, and those who sit at the sidelines & watch the winners pass them by."

Check 'em out, hit LIKE, or even better, stay updated with more vids when you SUBSCRIBE, including vids of my JDM H23A swap!

Comment

no...he's just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Accord1320 View Post
            And this will fit my F22A4?
            Yes. I put one on my GF's coupe and a few friends are running them

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
              Yes. I put one on my GF's coupe and a few friends are running them
              I like Accord1320 live in cali, and im curious if deleting the EGR will be an issue with SMOG even if you delete the code/CEL?? Thanks for all the useful info

Comment

Blocking off EGR will result in an increase in NOx. Whether that will be within acceptable levels depends on the regulations in your area.

Here in NH, I don't have to worry about those kinds of things. NH only has emissions testing for 96 and newer vehicles. Just my conscience to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior Smurff View Post
                  I like Accord1320 live in cali, and im curious if deleting the EGR will be an issue with SMOG even if you delete the code/CEL?? Thanks for all the useful info

You will fail visual if you don't have a EGR connected here in california. Also having a faulty EGR or none at all is almost guaranteed fail on the sniffer.

Make sure you have a programmable ECU where you can delete the EGR check or you will have a nice bright CEL on your cluster. This will also make you fail a visual during a smog check here in california.

You could make a DIY EGR plate if you have a handy dremel. Just go to lowes or home depot and get some stainless sheet metal that is as least thick as the outer top rim of a soda can for good measure. Take your EGR valve off and trace the EGR valve base onto the sheet metal and simply cut it with the dremel. Also you would need to cut out the bolt holes obviously as well. I have a DIY and been running for almost 4-5years now? I forgot.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
                  JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
                  1994 Prelude V-Tec
                  1999 CL 3.0
                  2000 Prelude
                  2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
                  1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
                  1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
                  1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Originally posted by Warudakumi View Post
                    You will fail visual if you don't have a EGR connected here in california. Also having a faulty EGR or none at all is almost guaranteed fail on the sniffer.

Make sure you have a programmable ECU where you can delete the EGR check or you will have a nice bright CEL on your cluster. This will also make you fail a visual during a smog check here in california.

You could make a DIY EGR plate if you have a handy dremel. Just go to lowes or home depot and get some stainless sheet metal that is as least thick as the outer top rim of a soda can for good measure. Take your EGR valve off and trace the EGR valve base onto the sheet metal and simply cut it with the dremel. Also you would need to cut out the bolt holes obviously as well. I have a DIY and been running for almost 4-5years now? I forgot.
                    So how do you get away with it?? Put egr back on just for smog??

Comment

Egr also keeps cylinder temperatures down so if you live in SoCal like I do you should leave it. There really is no point in removing it. Your going to need it to pass smog anyway.

If you feel like you need to block something off then block off the fast idle thermo valve. That's what warms up the engine in cold climates.
                      <-- MRT

Comment

Originally posted by accord4me View Post
                        Egr also keeps cylinder temperatures down so if you live in SoCal like I do you should leave it. There really is no point in removing it. Your going to need it to pass smog anyway.

If you feel like you need to block something off then block off the fast idle thermo valve. That's what warms up the engine in cold climates.
                        And blocking this off will still pass smog and visual inspections?

Comment

No.
                          The beginning of a new era............................
                          165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                          184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Working...
                          X