Intermittent hesitation/bogging, esp. when engine warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent hesitation/bogging, esp. when engine warm

I just got my car back from the shop today and they said they cannot reproduce the hesitation problem even though it does it to me all the time!

Problem: My '90 EX 5sp f22a4 will hesitate really bad at light throttle, especially when the engine is warm. If I keep it at light throttle long enough, it will make a rattling/popping sound and backfire. If I push the gas to the floor it will clear up. I have also noticed that if I start the car (with the engine still warm) and let it sit for a few minutes, the idle will drop really low, then kick up, then back to normal. After it does this, the car seems to do OK.

List of things I have already done to the car:

Replaced fuel filter, thermostat, spark plugs, plug wires, dist cap, rotor button, ignition module, ignition coil, and ECU.

I have no CEL and I jumped the connector to the ECU and it did not throw any codes.

I have used Lucas fuel system treatment and cleaned the throttle body. The only other things I can think of are the 02 sensor, distributor, or cat.

If anyone else has had these same symptoms or knows what the problem could be, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did u gap ur spark plugs?

and check ur timing.......

I'm still a newbie coming to engines

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

mine is doing the same thing as what u described and right now ive done the same things uve done and mine throws a code 43. thats for the fuel system and O2 circuit. im lookin at my o2 wiring and havent found anything but am going to replace the o2 tom and ill let ya know what happens.

Originally posted by Dr.x
      You drive an almost 20 year old car, pretty much everyone can pay it off.. you dont need to be "ballin"

Comment

did you check the ignitor and its connections,tps,etc?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

I would be willing to say this is a faulty o2 sensor, i recently didnt have this problem until i changed my o2 sensor with one that was used from another car. Now my car does exactly what you descibed, i have bought a brand new o2 sensor to replace it and will be back to normal.

Comment

mmmmmmmmmm not quite.... its no O2 sensor. if the O2 sensor goes bad<< the only thing it will do is burn more gass

i have the same problem but only between 1500rpm and 2000rpm..at light throttle.
            the problme lies between faulty spark plugs,, distributor,,fuel(injectors) o wires<<< the problem with the wires is that sometimes they will touch mettal and not deliver the spark as it should....

i am about to get into fixing my shit so if i find out what the problem is,,, then i'll let u guys know...
            are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Another note...I do seem do be burning a bit more fuel than I should.

I bought the Bosch platinum +4's, so they did not need to be gapped. I have recently read that these are bad for Honda's, so I will be going to NGK's soon. However, I still had this problem before I changed the plugs.

I haven't checked the TPS yet. I will probably do that this weekend. I will also try cleaning the IAC valve. Could someone please tell me exactly where it is located?

Thanks for all the replys.

Comment

Originally posted by blueaccord90
                Another note...I do seem do be burning a bit more fuel than I should.

I bought the Bosch platinum +4's, so they did not need to be gapped. I have recently read that these are bad for Honda's, so I will be going to NGK's soon. However, I still had this problem before I changed the plugs.

I haven't checked the TPS yet. I will probably do that this weekend. I will also try cleaning the IAC valve. Could someone please tell me exactly where it is located?

Thanks for all the replys.
                thsi prolly wont help, but them Bosch's are doin more than hurtin the situation. get them NGKs fast

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                11.68 @ 127mph
                417whp/375wtq
                Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
                  thsi prolly wont help, but them Bosch's are doin more than hurtin the situation. get them NGKs fast
                  I was about to say the same thing. Bosch plugs from all I hear don't get along with honda motors. Denso or NGK plugs are the only plugs that should be used on hondas. Get some NGK V-Power Spark plugs. They are cheap and work great for 30k miles.

Also another possabilty....
                  Check the EGR valve and EGR passagages. They could be clogged up.
                  ~~~~~~~

Comment

well for my problem i checked the distributor cap and rotor, clean them up good. get some new spark plugs and it still does the same thing...
                    wires are about 2 months old... i don't know what to check next.
                    does anyone know how to check the wires if they are working properly
                    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

i had oil in my o2 connector. im letting it dry out as we speak, well type. most likely from oil changes. that would cause the o2 to intermintintly work and not work.

Originally posted by Dr.x
                      You drive an almost 20 year old car, pretty much everyone can pay it off.. you dont need to be "ballin"

Comment

Working...
                      X