ECU reset procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU reset procedure

I am positive I read a post that had the procedure on how to reset the ECU. It's very similar to this one I copied from superhonda.com. I've been looking and looking, but I can't find it. Anyone know where it is?

from www.superhonda.com thread 106345

After engine mods, you want to reset your ECU to take advantage of the new mods.

Start the car and let it warm up
    Turn the car off
    Pull the ECU fuse under the hood -or- disconnect the battery
    Let it sit for at least 5 minutes
    Start the car again and let it idle for 5 minutes (don't be pressing the gas or listening to the stereo or anything)
    Turn the car off
    Start it back up and have fun driving.
    Or you can leave the ECU alone and it will slowly adjust over 6 months or so.
    It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Just remove the 7.5 Amp Back Up Fuse for 1 Minute and put it back in. Engine Doesn't have to be warm. Once the Fuse is back in. Start the Car and let idle until the thermo fan cuts in. Then Turn on All lights, AC, Radio, Wipers & accessories one at a time so the ECU compensates for the load. Then Turn the Steering From Lock to Lock. Operate the Brake Pedal. If it's Auto Change from Park to Reverse to Neutral to Drive and Back. Let it idle for 5 minutes. Then Take it for a 20 Mile drive to relearn the ECU.

Comment

Cool, thanks Guru.
      It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

what? all that...i just pull the (-) battery cable off for about 15 minutes...yeah, that works...

Comment

whats the purpose of resetting the ecu?

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
            what? all that...i just pull the (-) battery cable off for about 15 minutes...yeah, that works...
            Yeah but your a Lazy Prick.
            And just removing the 7.5 Amp Back Up fuse for 15 seconds and refitting it is even easier, but when the ECU loses it's memory it has to re-learn itself under normal operating conditions to operate properly. Duh!!

Comment

Originally posted by drey
              whats the purpose of resetting the ecu?
              When the CEL comes on and there is a Diagnostic Trouble Code stored in the ECU, some DTC's remain until the ECU is reset. The purpose is to clear the ECU of any Current DTC's or History DTC's after a repair or to confirm a code wasn't stored due to a Sensor being disconnected while the ignition or engine was on.

Comment

is it really necessary to reset the ECE after installing mods?
                "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

Originally posted by accordme93
                  is it really necessary to reset the ECE after installing mods?
                  My understanding of it is that when you make a fuel/air change the computer sees it but doesn't take it as a perminant change until the change is seen for several warm-up cycles. By doing the ECU reset procedure the computer knows it is being "taught" the changes and the computer uses the new conditions right away.

Comment

our ECU's dont require a "procedure" unless you have OBD II; which we don't. The only kind of resetting you need to do is the obvious power cycle (removing the 7.5 amp back up fuse) which will clear out the DTC's or an intermittent glitch which sometimes happens. yeah, it's a computer so it is a good idea to reset it once in a while.. i do. but they are not adaptive in any respect so they don't have to "learn" about the new cold air intake and spark plugs you just installed. You can basically put the fuse back in, start it and drive away. The ECU will figure out if the car is richer or leaner as it always does while running and adjust it at that point. The only thing I have remotely heard about is an idle learn procedure but again, it is directed toward OBD II.
                    Last edited by xaxis360; 03-29-2006, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xaxis360
                      our ECU's dont require a "procedure" unless you have OBD II; which we don't. The only kind of resetting you need to do is the obvious power cycle (removing the 7.5 amp back up fuse) which will clear out the DTC's or an intermittent glitch which sometimes happens. yeah, it's a computer so it is a good idea to reset it once in a while.. i do. but they are not adaptive in any respect so they don't have to "learn" about the new cold air intake and spark plugs you just installed. You can basically put the fuse back in, start it and drive
                      away. The ECU will figure out if the car is richer or leaner as it always does while running and adjust it at that point. The only thing I have remotely heard about is an idle learn procedure but again, it is directed toward OBD II.
                      You've confused me on this one. You may have misunderstood my meaning of Re-Learning.

In the text I highlighted in Yellow you say "but they are not adaptive in any respect so they don't have to "learn" about the new cold air intake and spark plugs you just installed"
                      Further on in the text, I highlighted in Red, you say "The ECU will figure out if the car is richer or leaner as it always does while running and adjust it at that point".

Any EMS with an O2 Sensor has Learning, Re-Learning capabilities.
                      The adjustments the ECU makes in relation to the O2 Sensor Feedback is the Learning Procedure or more accurately the Fuel Trimming Procedure of the Engine Management System.
                      The ECU adjusts the Long Term Fuel Trim in relation to Short Term Fuel Trim Data, which will affect Engine Idle.
                      The purpose of turning on all the Lights and accessories etc is to re-learn the ECU to Electrical & Engine Loads for Correct Idle Purposes.
                      Just thought I'd clear that up.

Comment

Working...
                      X