Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INT: Ignition Switch Removal and Install Pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Ignition Switch Removal and Install Pictures!

Well all the sudden my ignition wasn't working right so I bought a used one off ebay for $20. So now I have a key that opens my doors and one that starts my car (GM Represent!)

Difficulty = 2 out of 10
    Duration = Allow 1 Hour
    Tools need =
    >Phillips Head Screw Driver
    >Small Chisel (see picture)
    >Hammer
    >Kibbles and Bits. (Strictly for a positive environment, lay where you please)

Here is what the ignition looks like...

You need to remove these 2 panels. The red arrows point to the screws.

For the first one you take that first screw out, push that whole thing towards the engine and give er' a good yank. It will come out.

Next you can disconnect the 2 plugs, one goes into the fuse box, it is brown. The other is up underneath the steering colum towards the passenger side a little bit. Just follow the wire and you will find it. There is also a small clip that holds the wire that goes to the fuse box about half way down the wire, just pinch the side and pop it off (You can see the brown clip in the first picture).

Here is the hardest part. You have to get those headless bolt things out. So I took a Hammer and a small chisel and tapped them out. It's not hard, just get a good bite and tap on it. Watch to see if it starts spinning. You will most likly chew up the bolt head a bit, but you do not see it, so you're good.

After this you should be able to pull out the old ignition. Reinstalltion is MUCH quicker. Just do it the opposite way you took it out.

ENJOY!

Disclaimer: If you screw up your car go cry to your mom, not me.
    Last edited by AccordAnimal; 05-07-2006, 09:25 AM.

wow! good details and visuals.. good job

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Thanks! The most important part is to not give up on the chiseling. Just get a nice "bite" and tap on it. You will make and nice indent in the bolt head and eventually you will move the chisel away and see that it has rotated, and you are ready to make another bite.

Comment

i dont have any kibbles and bits, can i still preform this DIY?

Comment

Abosolutly not. Those are essential ingrediants to a successful ignition install.

Comment

this is a good write up... even more so considering some prick *next door neighbor* tried to steal my car by hammering a screwdriver into my ignition.

just pisses me off I couldn't prove to the cops that it was him..
            always out numbered never out gunned..

Comment

Thanks mang! Damn Thiefs!

Comment

What I usully do is use a cutting disc on a dremel and cut a straight line in the center of the boltheads. Then use a big flathead to unscrew them. Great write-up tho!

My Accord History:
                91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Do you still have two different keys for your car? If so I can show you how to switch the cylinders out if you still have the old one..... I just need to get my hands on a camera.

Comment

Do a DIY for me bro, although I already threw it away!

Comment

Originally posted by F22A6X
                      this is a good write up... even more so considering some prick *next door neighbor* tried to steal my car by hammering a screwdriver into my ignition.

just pisses me off I couldn't prove to the cops that it was him..
                      mayne....I REALLY...REALLY
                      HATE thieves...

yo next time that happens..and you actually CATCH him redhanded..

pull your strap...force him in your basement...tied his ass up....pry open his mouth and make him drink battery acid

he wants to steal cars so bad....make him drink some auto fluid!
                      I dunno..( coolant...OLD oil )

make him gulp down CV joint grease ...something to make him learn his lesson....OR if you kill him in the process.....carry him....and place him on his porch...set him properly...so it seems hes asleep

nah mean....he wants to steal em so bad.....make him BE ONE with what he wants to steal

he wants to steal cars so bad....do this ( sound proof your garage )

then if you catch him....force him in your garage...tie him up...with your car running....get a tube...stick it on the end of the exhaust pipe...and stick the other end in his mouth...make him SMOKE the fumes from your car

NOTE:::: make sure you need a tune up....and you're running RICH....teach that fucker a lesson

torture his ass

I think I have a twisted mind...but I hate thieves!
                      Last edited by SN2BH22CB7; 06-20-2006, 04:06 PM.
                      92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                      My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

Originally posted by AccordAnimal
                        Abosolutly not. Those are essential ingrediants to a successful ignition install.

lol.... whats with the kibbles and bits??????
                        92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:

Comment

^^^^ i was about to say the same shit lol ^^^^

Ride List
                          1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                          2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                          newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

are those scooby snacks?? lol j/k

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                            1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                            2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                            2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                            2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                            2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

YO..you really dont have to take the Lock cylinder off...if you're just taking the ignition switch off....( to anyone else )

all you have to do is...take the NEG. Cable off the battery...then take the column cover off...( screws on the bottom )..and once you get those off...you will see 2 copper screws holding on the ACTUAL switch ( LEFT of the LOCK CYLINDER )..take THOSE off..and cut that zip tie off .....follow the wireloom..take that plastic fastener off....then unplug that brown connector from the fuse box....feed the switch connector through the column openning..and ABRACADABRA..its OUT!...

thats ONLY if you're replacing the SWITCH itself!

Unless you have a BROKEN Key ..or bad Lock assembly...you dont need to go through that!!

TIME: TOPS--- 15 -20 minutes! TOTAL ( uninstall and install of NEW switch )

BUT in your case...some asshole tried to steal your car..so thats why you had to change out the lock assembly
                              Last edited by SN2BH22CB7; 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM.

MR Thread:

Comment

Working...
                              X