Home Made Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Made Tools

I Made a manual mill today. Lowest speed I can go is 730 rpm. But it cuts real nice. It got me thinking, has anybody else made their own tools or machinery?

I've made some basic hand tools.... The last thing I fabbed was a T-handle driver for 3/8" sockets. It's basically a 3/8" long extension with a piece of cold-rolled steel stock about 8" long welded at one end to from a speed wrench. Works great for working on the 'ol CB and my sportbike. My pops and I welded up a cherry picker years ago, that's in my shop right now. And, I made an adjustable stand for working on cars/motorcycles and a jig to help set the alignment on my CB and my brother's S14.
    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

yesterday I took half a combo wrench 27mm and took it to the wheel grinder to make it 29ish mm to undo this fuel line for the bus I was working on. it came out well, gripped hella good since it was rough unlike normal combo wrenches.
      always out numbered never out gunned..

Comment

the only thing ive ground is the top inch or so of a drill bit to make it fit a 1/2 chuck.

Comment

Custom made tools.. You guys are great!
          1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
          2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
          3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
          4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
          5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

Well the tool I made didn't really invovle welding anything really. I had some screws holding in the stock 6-CD changer that were being bitches and not coming out. The long ass screwdriver I had wasn't cutting at, at least not at the leverage point I was at. So I took a big set of vice grips (my favorite tool) and clamped it down onto a part of the handle on the phillips head screw driver. I put my right hand underneath the screw driver (to keep it pushing up as to prevent even more stripping) and used my left to turn it. I finally broke the sucker free after a couple mid-strength pushes.

Leverage; it's where it's at!
            Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
            D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
            ┴─┴
            ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

ive never really made any tools before, besides improvising with the limited number that i have.

Originally posted by Masamune
              Well the tool I made didn't really invovle welding anything really. I had some screws holding in the stock 6-CD changer that were being bitches and not coming out. The long ass screwdriver I had wasn't cutting at, at least not at the leverage point I was at. So I took a big set of vice grips (my favorite tool) and clamped it down onto a part of the handle on the phillips head screw driver. I put my right hand underneath the screw driver (to keep it pushing up as to prevent even more stripping) and used my left to turn it. I finally broke the sucker free after a couple mid-strength pushes.

Leverage; it's where it's at!
              another option is to stick a 1/4" socket on the end of a ratchet, and drop a + head bit into it. same idea, but youre using a ratchet instead of vice grips.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Money hasn't always been there so I have been forced to use my imagination and come up with a solution. I have built all kinds of tools from a dent puller to a belt sander and bandsaw. Gotta love homemade stuff!

Rocesride Member Page

Comment

when i dropped my magnetic wand in my engine bay while attempting a retrieval of a part already in there, i uses a long phillips screwdriver and covered the end with a tape ball. got both the wand and the part (i think it was a bolt, not sure.
                  also, does using a candy wrapper as make-shift floss count?

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                  Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                  'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                  Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Working...
                  X