Suspension Pwnage!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Pwnage!!!

So me and my buddies were chillen, installing the camber kit...

Everything was going good. The car had a nice stance to it now.

But then, when I drove off...Something wasn't right...I knew there was something fucking wrong and I should have stoped right then and there. But I didnt...I kept on going thinking that it would go away.

Seems like the Right front shock just locked up on me I hit and bump and it was CRAZY STIFF...it was just like BA BAM! BA BAM! bump after bump...then I hit the HWY...You know how they Newly repave shit, but they cant re-pave a tiny bridge...well, there was a little bump...and when I hit that little bump...CRACK! and I here something fall from the engine bay and hit the bottom of my car and I look in my rear view and see something flying and then the Steering wheel Jerked crazy hard tothe right...

I took pics for all to see...What the hell happened? I ordered another one from Advanced Autos $108 + tax + Install $65 (kyb AGX)

And this is the Left side (What it USE TO look like )

-Lam

you gotta take pictures from underneath in the wheel well... when u installed the camber kit, did you touch the springs/shocks at all?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

That washer....is it cupped downwards or upwards? If the washer is cupped, then then cupped end should be upwards.

Comment

Take off the wheel and take a picture underneath. You sure you installed everything right?

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

hah this is what happened to me!

Remember guys!? The drivers side front shock? I drove around and i hear a bang bang bang like somthing wasnt right. I got home and the shock was under the car.

It's becuase U forgot the damn washer!!!! thats why!!!!!!!!!

ahh i hate it

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
            you gotta take pictures from underneath in the wheel well... when u installed the camber kit, did you touch the springs/shocks at all?
            We didnt touch the suspension AT ALL...I just brought up the camber kit b/c I thought it might of had something to do with it. We had to raise and lower the car about 4-5 times to get the Caber/Toe angle right...

If I were to take a pic. you would tell me that nothing is wrong with it. It looks identical to the other side. The only thing thats diffrent is that the black metal sleeve had alot of play to it...I just wanted to know what happened thats all. I ordered another one. I dont feel safe at all fixing the exsiting one...

Seems like the bolt just ripped right off...There are bassicaly no more threads on the bolt. Just straight up nothing.

-Lam

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
              hah this is what happened to me!

Remember guys!? The drivers side front shock? I drove around and i hear a bang bang bang like somthing wasnt right. I got home and the shock was under the car.

It's becuase U forgot the damn washer!!!! thats why!!!!!!!!!

ahh i hate it
              Maple,

What washer are you refering to? The washers on the Shock? Theres 2 right? one on the bottom and one where the engine bay is...right?

-Lam

Comment

Seriously it looks like the nut did just shear off the threads on the top of the strut. It looks like when you were going over bumps the top of the strut (the threaded part) was sawing into the side of the cupped part. The bumping probably got worse till it loosened up the nut enough for the nut to break loose and the next time you hit a bump the strut retreated down thru the cupped part so that the rubber stopper and everything above it flew off then when your car came back down off the bump the threaded part of the strut ate into the cupped part. What you saw flying out the back was prolly everything on that of that cupped part falling thru the engine bay and going out the back.

Thats my theory. You probably forgot to put the washer back on top of the rubber part before you screwed the nut on.
                Last edited by Conspiracy; 07-22-2006, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conspiracy
                  Seriously it looks like the nut did just shear off the threads on the top of the strut. It looks like when you were going over bumps the top of the strut (the threaded part) was sawing into the side of the cupped part. The bumping probably got worse till it loosened up the nut enough for the nut to break loose and the next time you hit a bump the strut retreated down thru the cupped part so that the rubber stopper and everything above it flew off then when your car came back down off the bump the threaded part of the strut ate into the cupped part. What you saw flying out the back was prolly everything on that of that cupped part falling thru the engine bay and going out the back.

Thats my theory. You probably forgot to put the washer back on top of the rubber part before you screwed the nut on.
                  i think he nailed it right on the head.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                  X