INT: Stock Prelude Short Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Stock Prelude Short Shifter

Well here it is no thrill no spills just free and easy...
    parts needed:
    stock 92-95 prelude shifter
    10 mm (2),12 mm , phillips head screwdriver, wheel grinder (table top style)

YOU DO NOT NEED THE PRELUDE BOTTOM BRACKET (MOUNTING PLATE) THAT IS A BUNCH OF CRAP WHOEVER SAID THAT NEEDS HELP

first remove your stock shift knob
    next remove your console that holds it in place (big black piece in picture)
    take a picture or make a mental note of what rubber bushings go where on the mounting bracket underneath.... this will come in handy later
    undo cotter pin attached to the left side cable(when facing forward) save the black ring and the cotter pin
    use 10mm socket and undo right side cable (save 10mm nut)
    unbolt 4 bolts holding bracket down (1 in each corner, they are brass with big washers) save all this and keep them together with their respective bushings
    turn the bracket(mounting plate) over and you will see a bolt that has a 10mm head on it and a 10mm nut on it that goes from front of car towards the back of the car.... make sure it is the LONG one it is the one in the middle attached to the mounting plate or bracket whatever you wish to refer to it as...save bolt and nut
    now slide that shifter outta there

Now you need to take your new prelude shifter and compare it to the accord one. Do you see those 2 posts stickking out? Those have to match the accord one..... this is your misconception on needing the prelude bracket..... those are stop point or limiters for your throw.... the prelude ones are longer.... grind em off and make em match....

next reverse steps to install

the bottom long bolt of the BRACKET is a little fun to get back it because this is your bottom pivot point..... so have fun with this part

when you get to the cables part you will notice that the prelude shifter does not have the same attachment bracket as the accord , I recommend you get the nut and bolt from the prelude if not get one it is a 10mm (for now I made a cotter pin and pin work and it is fine) I lost my prelude cable bolt
    put on your console and your shift knob and sit back and smile hehehehe, cost me 20 min of my time(prelude shifter free) to install including grinding.

here is the pix:

Last edited by da9b16; 04-01-2004, 11:06 AM.
    WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

a capri-sun after a good days work...

still love that leather interior.

S A N D I E G O

Comment

i have done this mod but didnt have to grind anthing down. it shifts fine. my 4bidden shifter should be here anyday
      cb7 sold
      2002 mineral gray mustang gt not stock
      95 accord lx daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordDx
        i have done this mod but didnt have to grind anthing down. it shifts fine. my 4bidden shifter should be here anyday
        I grinded it down to make it match as much as possible.... good that it worked without it.... it was free so I cannot complain much
        WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

i used the prelude mounting bracket.. basically you screw in the top 2 bushings as you would.. But the rear's wont line up right.. so u have to take the bottom washer that goes thought the bottom of the shifter plate and up though the bushings..

so for the rear after u remove that washer.. just put the rubber bushing in place put the upper washer on top ( to hold the bushing down) and like up the screw w/ the rear holes and screw down till u cant no more

the bushing will be squeeshed down but that's fine it will hold..

Here are some pix
          Patastinky's parting out thread. Everythings GOT TO GO!!

c0up3z r3pr353n7 !!!1!
          MY HondaSociety.com VOUCHE THREAD !!

MY HONDA-TECH.com VOUCHE THREAD !!

Comment

i just did not wanna mess with the bracket so....
            WAGONS

Comment

on top of the shortened height, what's even cooler about this mod is that you can use the prelude short shift adaptor, which can be easily found, to shorten the throw. i gots to do this!!!

btw, i love the leather. yall are lucky! i never even seen black leather before until now.
              Last edited by timmy0tool; 04-01-2004, 06:16 PM.
              1cor10:31
              - 92 LX coupe
              - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                on top of the shortened height, what's even cooler about this mod is that you can use the prelude short shift adaptor, which can be easily found, to shorten the throw. i gots to do this!!!

btw, i love the leather. yall are lucky! i never even seen black leather before until now.

you could always go get ur leather done up any color u want..

but nothing beats OEM leather
                Patastinky's parting out thread. Everythings GOT TO GO!!

c0up3z r3pr353n7 !!!1!
                MY HondaSociety.com VOUCHE THREAD !!

MY HONDA-TECH.com VOUCHE THREAD !!

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool

mine is GRAY out of a 95 EX.... the back seats are about 2 inches too small but they work and they look NICE... I am thinking about getting lude seats though cause they sit low like del sol seats do....
                  WAGONS

Comment

as everyone else is saying...that black leather is super hot!!!
                    + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Da9b16, your door panels arent from a 5th gen, are they?!
                      MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
                      i pulled over and looked under the hood.
                      the engine was still there...
                      ...silly light!

Comment

Originally posted by blamethepunx
                        Da9b16, your door panels arent from a 5th gen, are they?!
                        No they are not...
                        WAGONS

Comment

does this mod reduce the shift throw? or does it just make the shifter shorter?

Comment

Originally posted by patastinky
                            i used the prelude mounting bracket.. basically you screw in the top 2 bushings as you would.. But the rear's wont line up right.. so u have to take the bottom washer that goes thought the bottom of the shifter plate and up though the bushings..

so for the rear after u remove that washer.. just put the rubber bushing in place put the upper washer on top ( to hold the bushing down) and like up the screw w/ the rear holes and screw down till u cant no more

the bushing will be squeeshed down but that's fine it will hold..

Here are some pix
                            pata, can you update the pics? So basically to get a prelude plate into my accord, the front 2 mounts right in, the rear 2 need to have the washer removed on the bottom on the plate? And once it's bolted in I can use a forbidden shifter with no problem.

Comment

cnt see the pics no more=/
                              2004 Accord Sedan CM6 (daily)
                              Koni Yellows, Hood Bra,Splash Guards,Deck Lid,Weather Mats,Sunroof Visor,Fog Lights <-All OEM, Mugen Door Visors, 07 Tsx Wheels.
                              1990 Accord Coupe CB7 (project)
                              H22 Swap, Skunk2 Springs on Koni Str.t, Rear Disk Swap, Fog Lights, 92-93 Trunk Conversion, 02 Accord Rims

Comment

Working...
                              X