Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Cold Air Intake Install

This is courtesy of Lightning Motorsports

Start by removing the bolts that secure the intake box and intake vacuum box assembly

Remove the bolt from the rear of the airbox

Remove the (2) vacuum lines, electrical connector, and vacuum box

Remove the lower resonator attachment screw and note the intake tubing to be removed in the next step

Loosen screw-clamp, remove airbox and lower piping

Using pliers, remove clamp on breather hose

Loosen clamp and remove vacuum line

Remove intake hose and pull the breather hose loose from intake; remove intake

Remove vacuum line (previously attached to vacuum box) and detach from throttle body. Cap with supplied vacuum cap.

This is the port to cap off. We also have the vacuum line, disconnected earlier, that we will install the filter-foam into.

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

AEM filter foam - trim a small section to use

Insert filter foam into hose left over from removal of intake tubing.

This is the factory opening to the lower resonator box - it will be enlarged to fit the AEM

Remove panel clip and 10mm bolt from inner fender liner

Remove 10mm bolt from underneath on lower splash panel - pull panel downward

Remove lower fender liner retaining clips. One is not visible in this picture as it is obscured by lower panel - pull back to expose lower resonator

The factory lower resonator should now be visible. Remove rear bolt

Remove front bolt and remove lower resonator assembly.

Cut hole with suitable cutting device (tin snips. hole saw, pneumatic nibbler) You can trim out the hole with a piece of slit vacuum tubing

Install AEM rubber isolator mount

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Instal lhose clamp and coupler to throttle body; leave loose.

Mount the "ear" on the intake to the rubber soft mount using the washer and nut provided.

Reconnect battery-chassis ground and tighten - Check intake for clearance where it passes through the hole

Tighten hose clamps and install hose to couple the AEM intake to the stock breather pipe.

Tighten clamps on hose assembly.

Slide on air filter, install clamp and tighten;make sure to check for clearance. Replace lower splash shields

This is what it should look like when done.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

this is only for a EX accord though. less steps on the others.

JDMED

buy my jdm part
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=544951#post544951

Comment

i wonder whats the purpose of those vacumn lines that are plugged and that is filtered.

i know one of them goes into a vacumn box but i still dont know why it should serve a purpose. do u think with my stock intake system i can cap off that long vacumn line?
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

i think you want to keep it because there is a sensor that opens a valve in the stock air box piping that allows more air flow when needed.this is only avail on the EX. but i guess when you get a cold air you have to remove it.

JDMED

buy my jdm part
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=544951#post544951

Comment

i wonder why wouldnt AEM just make a little pipe for that to go in the intake like the stock ex had. (talking about the vacumn line u plug with a foam filter).
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I have a Prelude CAI, and it has a small hole on the top of it, near the intake manifold. I just plugged it, since I don't know what was supposed to go in it. Looks like the Accord CAI didn't have that hole...

Comment

deveergote:

could it be for a dry nitrous system?
                  HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

You know, I never thought of that! That might be a possibility! Of course, I would never want to go dry anyway, but who knows... That might be it's purpose.

Comment

yea neither would I, there's always room for alcohol...wait, nevamind
                      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

i been playing with that vacumn line..if u plug it and rev the engine...the engien lacks power in a way...

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I just spent the last .... too long.... putting this bad boy in. Sounds amazing, and there's a noticable difference. Now if I floor it, torque steer is noticable. Which I like, and will enjoy until the illuminas and neuspeeds get here. I have noticed that my idle is a little bit lower than before the intake... Anyone have any suggestions about raising it slightly? Is it as simple as adjusting the screw on the throttle body?

PS - The hardest part is hacking away at the fender. The weird part is disconnecting vaccuum lines and not re-installing. The best part is the power

Comment

does that air resonator box and sensor need to be unplugged and removed if you use a short ram. i installed mine yesterday and noticed a huge differance in acceleration. also it has a great tone. i unplgged that sensor after reading this and noticed slightly move power and a little louder tone.
                            I like Hummers to... Especially in the morning...

4x4 Connection.

Comment

Not sure. I was under the impression the extra valve in the intake was exclusice to EX / EX-R / SE's... but I found out today that the newer 5th gens all have them.

If you unplugged and capped the vaccuum line at the intake manifold, then yes, you'd need to remove that vaccuum box and line because it's not hooked up to anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X