ENG: automatic tranny swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: automatic tranny swap

I WILL NOT HOLD ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF U DO SOMETHING WRONG OR IF U GET HURT. SO IF U DON'T KNOW WHAT U ARE DOING LET THIS WORK BE DONE BY PROFESIONALS.
    let me begin by saying that this was the first major work done by me. i had help from my father who did most of the hard work.
    1. there should be 2 guys working in the car.
    tools. u would need socket ranches players screw drivers etc. can't name all of them(i am not american and don't know all their names)here are the pic.
    u would need the new tranny and the torque converter.(don't forget this lol)

u are going to need a 36 mm for the axles bolts which are a big pain to get off. here is what u will be needed.

and these pipes are going to help u a great deal. if i didn't have that long pipe i wouldn't know what to do.

then u will be needed two big jacks for the tranny and to lift the car. u will be needing two car stands and two things to hold the car in the air.
    here is a pic.

make sure that after u put the car up on the stands put the front wheels under the car for additional security.
    2.start by opening the axle bolts using the rench and a long pipe.

after that pull the car up and secure the car with stands under it. put the front wheels under the car>>>>whatever u can find that is strong enough to have more additional support.
    take the wheels off. than take off the wheel assambly by discconecting it from the steering wheel arms. then disconect the wheels assambly from the uper control arm. take off the brakes etc.
    then take off the lower bolt joint from the lower control arm(this is a pain in the ass) I SUGGEST U GET A 2 TON PULLER FROM THE LOCAL STORE. if u don't have the right tool for the lower bolt joint then u are screwed.

take off the whole wheel assembly(rotors brakes etc.)u should push the axle from the rotor by using a thin pipe that can enter the middle of the rotors.
    3 with a long FLAT screw driver go under the car then pray out the axle between the tranny and the axle cv joints. do the same thing with the other side. (BE CAREFUL DO NOT PULL THE AXLE OUT OF THE TRANNY.)
    then u should go to the next step.
    IF U DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS DO NOT DO THIS.
    if u want the tranny to have a easy drop u should take off the car subframe(where the front engine mount sits.
    4. support the front of the engine with a jack. then take off the uper part of the engine mount. then disconect a frame that goes underneath the engine. it has 3 bolts underneath the front of the engine and 3 bolts under the back side of the engine.
    after that disconect the subframe arms that go where the wheel assambly seats(two bolts on each side). after u take off the arms then take off the subframe of the car buy taking off 4 bolts (two in each side) off the subframe. then.
    the whole subframe should come out with its arms in it and the front engine mount.
    now take this oportunity to change the front engine mount since cb7's are notorious to have a fucked up front engine mount.
    i have a couple of pic they don't look that good.( didn't have a camera when i took the subframe off. the first one is the subframe arm

after u done with all this go and disconect the battery. take off the batery and the place where the batery sits. take off the whole air intake filter room and the pipe that goes the the throtle body..
    take off all the wires by the distributor.
    take off the tranny cooling fluid lines. and disconect the selenoids.

then take off the Vehicle speed sensor and take off the two steering wheel hozes that go into the SHAFT SPEED SENSOR.
    here is a pic of the old shaft speed sensor(the electric speed senor part would sit on top if it.

disconect the uper radiator hoze. diconect the swich etc. then disconect the hoze that goes in the side of the engine. and disconect the hoze that goes to the thermostat. (might wanna get a new one since u there)
    disconect all the sensors that go to the tranny etc.
    disconect the two wires that go to the starter.
    take off the gas cable that goes from the throtle body to the tranny.
    then go under the car. and open the little aluminium cover where the shifter cable goes in. (it has 3 #12 bolts and 1 #10 bolt)
    then disconect the shifter cable.
    PUT A JACK WITH A BLOCK OF WOOD ON TOP OF IT AND LIFT THE TRANNY A LITTLE BIT.
    after u done with it take off the black torque converter cover( it has two #10 bolts)
    (torque converter)
    now there are 8 #10 little bolts that conect the torque converter to the engine.
    u can take off only two of these bolts at the time. u should do this while someone is moving the the shaft

after u done with this. disconect the 7 bolts that hold the tranny with the car. there are 4 of the same length and 2 of the same length and one is longer that the others.
    then begin by taking off the 4 bolts of the tranny mount. they are located in the back off the tranny. U SHOULD DO THIS WHILE U ARE IN THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRANNY. DO NOT TAKE OFF THE LAST TWO BOLTS UNLESS U HAVE THE TRANNY WITH A JACK.
    then the last part is to take off the left side engine mount( pasagere side.)
    u should use a deep socket #17. while u are taking these bolts off the tranny is going to beging to fall. after the tranny is out get the starter off and put it to the new tranny. (there are only two bolts that hold the starter into the side of the tranny)
    here are some pic of the old tranny,,,, old torque converter and the oil that i used to flush the new tranny.

tranny where the torque converter goes in.

other side

THE DIFFERENCE ON THE TRANNYS ELECTRICAL WIRES(SENSORS)
    the tranny that i put on my 90 accord ex was a tranny that was taken off from a 92 accord lx 4 door with 120k
    the only diffrent thing was the plug of this sensor.

the sensor is the same. it sits in the front left side of the tranny. but the plugs have a different shape within.

this was the plug off the 92 automatic tranny that wouldn't go into the plug that came from the 90 accord chasi.
    other than that everything was the same between these two trannys.

IF I SAYED SOMETING WRONG OR DIDN'T EXPLAINED WELL THIS IS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW THE NAMES OF THE PARTS SO >>>>FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME AND TELL ME THE NAME OF THE PARTS.
    Last edited by alb_accord; 03-22-2005, 09:04 PM.
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

very in-depth DIY... awesome job!

i fixed ur thread title a bit tho.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

thanks dude. i been meaning to ask u guys to do so.
      i also had more pic but i wasn't allowed to post that much. (don't know why)
      i hope i help someone with this diy.

Comment

this pic didn't come up so here it is again.

Comment

You made it seem soo easy lol well now i kno who to go to if i need a replacement

My Cb bad, Cb bright and the cops can kiss my Cb lights - I’m gone!
          Frost White Member 13
          My Ride
          "Girls are like a new car... lease w/ option to buy"

Comment

yeah no problem. we will be done within a day. lol

Comment

man gonna have a pro do it...i dont have the tools or experience..or space... good job tho..i wish i had a bigger garage to do this..! i would love to learn more about my car by doing this!!..

Comment

nice write up....makes me wonder if i can attempt this and convert to 5 spd at the same time ...all without a cherrypicker...hmmmm

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                11.68 @ 127mph
                417whp/375wtq
                Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Hmm... nice thread... however. Where are your instructions for installing the new gas/brake pedal that you'll need? ECU installations, the brake lights need special modification as well. Not to mention adding the clutch pedal to your setup.

Comment

thats if u swap auto for auto. not auto for manual . lol

Comment

Working...
                    X