Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1991 Honda Accord - (in freezing temp -starts and stalls abruptly multiple times 1991 Honda Accord - (in freezing temp -starts and stalls multiple times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 Honda Accord - (in freezing temp -starts and stalls abruptly multiple times 1991 Honda Accord - (in freezing temp -starts and stalls multiple times

New to the site --

Obviously I have a Honda Accord (91) that is having starting problems. But mine are a little different.

I'd like to think the main relay is the problem after reading everyone's posts giving praise to a new relay. But could it be the problem in cold weather? Because this is when my problems are occuring. When it is reallly cold - like it is in Pittsburgh right now where I live.

The car will start and run and sound fine for like 10 seconds or so. The fast idle engages and it starts idling around almost 2000 rpm's. But just as quickly as it started, it stalls abruptly.

Even if I keep my foot on the gas making it idle around 2500 rpms, it still just cuts out like it suddenly loses all spark -

(one note****** the tachometer drops to zero before the engine actually has totally stopped) - its subtle, but I notice it to be true.

If anyone can provide any assistance it would be GREATLY appreciated. I might take a look at changing this main relay this weekend, but if it is the wrong choice, please let me know!

Also - this car had been sitting (in a garage for about a year) - I purchased the car about 3 months ago. Never had this problem til it got cold. I had changed the radiator, thermostat, flushed the cooling system, brakes, rotors and master cylinder. Its not running rough and is heating up eventually... it stalls within the first 20 seconds or so (before the car can heat up) - so actually, if I keep doing this for like 10 minutes or so with it stalling and starting back up - it will eventually get warm enough so as it wont stall out like it does. Once it is warm I usually do not have a problem.

Thank you much in advance for any assistance!
    Last edited by Stanleybb50; 12-10-2006, 01:00 PM.

more antifreeze?
    uh... if by overboosted you mean "right the fuck on" then, sure, it is.

Comment

distrubutor problem maybe?

Comment

Seems to be plenty of coolant in the system - I was thinking it could potentially be something in the distributor, but dont know much about them or how to test and/or take them apart. I don't have electric tools to test... Sound like symptoms of the main relay?

Thanks for the quick reply's - I guess us Honda owners love our cars and appreciate others who drive em.

I'll always be a Honda driver - my first car ever when I turned 16 was an 86 Civic Hatch.

Comment

but this thread takes the win for the longest thread title
          Members Ride

Comment

Thanks for the help "blackcb7"

Comment

how old is the battery?

my first car was an '85 Accord hatch. champagne colour and soooo easy to work on.

Comment

Battery is less than a year old and connections are good - lights dont flicker or anything when it happens...

Thanks for the suggestion - really greatly appreciated - i've been workin at it today... not really gettin anywhere - i was going to change the fuel filter but its definitely getting gas when this happens and fuel pump seems strong....

Comment

Starter maybe? Later

Comment

No it starts and runs for like 10 -15 seconds when this happens... it just stalls abruptly...

Seems somehow electical but plugs, wires, cap & rotor are good...
                    Last edited by Stanleybb50; 12-10-2006, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanleybb50
                      Thanks for the help "blackcb7"
                      you welcome
                      Members Ride

Comment

when you remove the distributor cap,rotor and that plastic cover do you see any oil inside the distributor? anywhere
                        some cars have wings cuz they look cool.
                        some cars have wings cuz they increase efficiency.
                        some cars have wings to keep them from taking flight.
                        f1 fan

Comment

YES!
                          I dont know why I forgot to mention that - i thought that was a little wierd... What does that mean? I'm actually pretty excited that you might know the problem or have seen it before.

Comment

O-ring isnt sealin anymore and lettin oil into the distributor.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

So does that mean I need a new distributor for sure? Because maybe the damage has already been done to the internal wiring in the distributor...? I'd hate to go through all the trouble of changing the seal only to still have the problem. Is this a correct assumption? The oil caused damage to the ditributor parts which is making my car stall?

Comment

Working...
                              X