ENG: EGR removable plugs :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: EGR removable plugs :)

Hey all, so in this DIY i will be discussing and demonstrating how to drill, tap and be able to use pipe plugs in replacement of the oem style plugs/caps.

i have both a H series and f22a6 (thx Juan) intake manifold however i only got around to the A6 and will have to experiment with the H series one and shall update.

(Umm, people usually put that disclamier BS but i dont because who in their right mind would sue me especially when im not giving you advice but rather you are searching for helpful information and using it at one's own risk. assholes)

Tools required:
    -Hammer
    -flat tipped Punch
    -3 drill bits, largest one being 7/16's or 29/64's (so a small, med, large)
    -drill
    -lube and cleaning fluids
    -1/2"-20 tap
    -6 1/2"-20 pipe plugs

1. Knock the plugs out of the hole. what i found easiest instead of drilling them out and using a slide hammer was just knocking them all the way into the hole with hammer and punch. i will tell you the reason later.

2. Begin enlarging the hole with the 7/16" or 29/64" drill bit and make sure it is straight. do not touch the second hole!!!! Now that the hole is enlarged, deburr any edges and the plug should just fall out.

3. clean out the shavings produced.

4. use tap and make the thread within the hole. Again, make sure you are going straight in. Every 1/2 to 1 revolution reverse the tap and proceed. feel free to clean the hole while you are tapping. You will hit a certain point and at that moment STOP! dont try and force the tap any furthur or it may break. i marked the tap to give me a guage on how far to go in on the rest of the ports.

5. i also use a file to clean up the edges of the hole. install pipe plug and repeat for the other 5.

Notes:

*The H23 IM has a different design so i will have to experiement and locate where the holes are.

*Something that i have been thinking about, the pipe plug is made of a different material that the manifold so the rate of expanision under heat can differ. the only thing i could suggest using is thread lock and some teflon tape to prevent any leakage. A Phenolic spacer might not be a bad idea considering the spacers prevent a lot of heat being transferred from the engine to the IM. Plus, you need to replace th gasket anyways.

*it took me around 1.5 hours to do all 6 plugs. still debating on the side plug removal for easier cleaning of the ports.

H23

A6

Last edited by wed3k; 06-13-2007, 02:27 AM.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

More people should be doing this instead of the crappy oem ones and the ease to remove and clean in the future. And considering so many people do IM swaps this should be done while it's out. Here's my red ones on an H23, not the best pic. I used a sealant as well. And I did that horizontal hole on the end as well.
    Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
    -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
    MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

yea man, im about to get some anodized blue for the show :o
      I <3 G60.

Comment

i know its a noob question but please explain what this is for please

Ride List
        1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
        2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
        newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

Awesome diy Wes.

Comment

and this does wat again
            **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
            Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
            Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by blazenem
              i know its a noob question but please explain what this is for please
              its done when the ports are blocked off by carbon build up. it is noticeble when the car hesidates at 1500 rpms to 2000 rpms. you notice it more on cb7 with auto tranny. one way to make sure that the egr ports are blocked, is to disconect the egr valve and if the car drives fine then you know for sure its the ports.
              are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Now I recently did this, but Honda gave me EGR plugs that were punched out of metal, a different design than the allen key type plugs or the factory brass ones. Anyone else had these?

Also, is it necessary to take out all 6? or can the carbon be adequately dissolved removing 2-3 easily accessible plugs and then letting the carb cleaner do its thing?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                  Now I recently did this, but Honda gave me EGR plugs that were punched out of metal, a different design than the allen key type plugs or the factory brass ones. Anyone else had these?

Also, is it necessary to take out all 6? or can the carbon be adequately dissolved removing 2-3 easily accessible plugs and then letting the carb cleaner do its thing?
                  Yea I got those, then returned them. I stuck with the stock ones, tapped them back in and filled it with a special sealant. I took out all 6 just to be on the safe side.

Comment

the four sitting on top of the runners are the ones you want to clean because those have holes that go into the manifold and matter most.

i got the 6 new ones too, i tihnk i still have them
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

Where can I find red anodized plugs? I want to do this again on an h22 IM but I don't want to use jbweld again.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

If you're using pipe plugs, you should be using pipe thread taps.
                        2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                        Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                        1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

good point but i couldnt find any at the Orchard supply here, maybe the home depot but this will have to suffice for now.

i played around with the H23 manifold. same thing jsut make sure your punch is centered with the hole.
                          I <3 G60.

Comment

good diy.

it should be noted that clogged egr ports are what cause your NOxppm to be to high and cause you to fail emissions. later.
                            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

recently did this on h22

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Working...
                              X