SUSP: Proper Way To Replace Front Rotor or Wheel Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP: Proper Way To Replace Front Rotor or Wheel Bearing

Best option, if you want to replace the front brake rotor only (on stock 90-93 Accord setup) and not take the risk of damaging the wheel bearing if it is in good condition:

1) jack up front of car, remove wheel
    2) remove CV shaft nut
    3) remove brake caliper assembly with brackets
    4) remove brake line from knuckle
    5) use nondestructive method to dislocate all 3 front joints (outer tie-rod, lower and upper ball-joints)
    6) remove knuckle assembly with rotor/hub/wheel bearing assembly still installed
    7) remove 4-12pt screws from behind knuckle
    8) press out hub/rotor/wheel bearing assembly from knuckle bore without damaging wheel bearing (press on good surface, easily done)
    9) remove 4-6pt screws that attach rotor to hub
    10) orientate rotor with respect to wheel bearing flange to slip-off rotor from hub/wheel bearing assembly
    11) reorientate new rotor in same fashion to be installed onto hub/wheel bearing assembly
    12) reinstall 4-6pt screws to fasten rotor back to hub
    13) reinstall everything else, use new cotter pins, reuse CV shaft axle nut & restake if you were careful removing it (otherwise replace), grease joints if possible, clean/regrease caliper pins, antisieze appropriate screws for ease of removal later during this entire process.

Torque specs:

CV shaft nut = 180 lbft
    upper control arm joint & outer tie-rod joint = 32 lbft
    lower control arm joint = 40 lbft
    wheel lugnuts = 80 lbft
    4-12pt wheel bearing/knuckle screws = 33 lbft (torque evenly, if installing new wheel bearing to draw it into knuckle bore evenly)

4-6pt rotor-to-hub screws = snug

For replacement of front wheel bearing:

1) do steps # 1-8 above
    2) orientate this assembly so hub face down, held up by rotor in an arbor press or something similar
    3) purposely orientate wheel bearing flange so there is interference between it and rotor, this will separate the wheel bearing
    4) now press down on the hub (inside inner diameter of wheel bearing), and hub should come out with half the inner wheel bearing race
    5) rotor and other half of wheel bearing should be separated now
    6) inner wheel bearing race stuck on hub needs to be removed, do this by taking a cut-off wheel carefully to it (wear safetly glasses) and make one cut on it, it will come off
    7) deburr hub shaft is necessary & wipe clean
    8) press on new wheel bearing
    9) proceed with steps # 11-13

** Note: Sorry I can not provide photos, as I've done this many times, but never bothered taking photos. However, I felt the need to atleast do a detailed write-up that anyone with familiarity on 90-93 Accord front suspension/brake components should be able to follow. I did this because there are improper ways posted in this DIY section already and these are proper ways, which leave the integrity of the wheel bearing intact. **
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 06-29-2007, 02:18 PM.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

very nice writeup cisco. this is the PROPER way of replacing them without damaging the bearings.

if you dont have a press: you can remove the four front hub-to-rotor bolts as well as the four 12point bearing bolts from behind. then you can place the assembly with the hub/rotor pointing down, held up by the rotor alone, so the hub has room to be pressed downward without hitting the ground. then you can use longer bolts (standard honda thread, i grabbed various ones from my big box) and thread them into the bearing from behind, and sledgehammer them one by one in a circle, itll slowly walk the hub and bearing out together. you can then swap the rotor and bolt the hub/bearing back into place over it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Great write up!

im getting my stuff ready now to get this done. what size star socket do i need for the spindle to bearing bolts?
      Last edited by Dom; 06-29-2007, 03:51 PM.
      .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

12 point 10mm?

there's officially like 3-4 write ups on this now, lol
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

OOOoo..dont forget the slidehammer and hubpuller
          92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
          My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

Sorry that is NOT the PROPER way to do this.. THEY ARE NOT PRESSED IN.

THIS is the proper way to do it.
            !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

matco tools part # HHR5
              HONDA ROTOR HUB REMOVER

* Fastest way to replace brake rotors on 1990-1997 Honda Accords.
              * It mounts to the hub using lug nuts and with a turn of the lift bolt, the hub
              and rotor are removed.
              * Does not require a slide hammer or hammer.
              * Works without removing any suspension part or the axle

you can literally replace the rotor in 5 minutes.
              Last edited by LoDollar92LX; 10-08-2007, 10:31 PM.

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

Originally posted by 4thgenaccord
                Sorry that is NOT the PROPER way to do this.. THEY ARE NOT PRESSED IN.

THIS is the proper way to do it.
                sweet write up anyways bro, I just did brakes all around on my CB7 and pressed as well so I know where you're coming from. And as far as that tool from matco goes.. I need to get myself one of those bad boys ! It would be nice if Snap-On made something similar though because I get all toold 55% off which is nice.. I guess I'll look into it

nice write up man

Comment

Originally posted by ExCoupe92
                  sweet write up anyways bro, I just did brakes all around on my CB7 and pressed as well so I know where you're coming from. And as far as that tool from matco goes.. I need to get myself one of those bad boys ! It would be nice if Snap-On made something similar though because I get all toold 55% off which is nice.. I guess I'll look into it

nice write up man
                  No prob man. glad to help.
                  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I need to replace the wheel bearings up front, i dont have a tool to cut shit, mayb i should jus get a used hub at the junk yard
                    Last edited by F20A CB7; 03-08-2008, 03:18 PM.
                    **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                    Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                    Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

for real? that tool makes changing our rotors that easy?

i'd buy it in a heart beat then, wonder how much it is though.

[edit] just checked, it's 278 bucks. i'm sure it's worth everyone penny.

Comment

I've always used a slide hammer to take my wheel bearings off. But still great info for first timers.
                        My CB For Sale

Comment

I found this PDF that goes along in conjuction with the tool that LoDollar92LX posted. It's sort of a guide/info document, if you will.

http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/122005_08.pdf
                          Originally posted by sweet91accord
                          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Working...
                          X