Throw-Out Bearing Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throw-Out Bearing Comparison

When someone asks for advice as-far-as picking a clutch, people on this forum as well as other Honda forums, always suggest that the person purchases a new OEM Throw-Out Bearing reguardless of the clutch.

I recently bought an OEM replacement clutch for my 99 Honda Prelude, the clutch kits are the same for H22 trannys and F22 trannys. The kit was made by Exedy/Daikin Clutch, it came with the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and the alignment tool.

Soon after I went to my local Honda Stealership and bought a new OEM throw-out bearing for $70 and compaired it to the one that came in the kit.

- Both TOB look are made by the same company, NACHI
    - Both say Japan
    - Both are constucted with the same material
    - Both spin with the same amount of pressure

- One of the difference is the color of the inside piece, the OEM one is black and the Exedy one is red.
    - The other difference is the model number stamped on the colored piece, the OEM says 55SCRN41P and the Exedy one says NP-55SCRN41P

Other than that the two bearings are EXACTLY the same, the model numbers are practically the same except the Exedy one starts with NP-. I don't think that the difference in color means anything.

In conclusion, I believe both throw-out bearings are the same. I think the slight differences in model number and color is due to the fact that this part is universal for all 2.2 and 2.3 liter engines.

It's made by the same company and practically has the same model number.

This does NOT mean that all throw-out bearing are the same because I don't know what kind of TOB other companies put in their clutch kits, so take a close look at that bearing and if you see it says: Nachi, Japan, and 55SCRN41P, you should save your money instead of going to you local stealership and giving it to them.

NOTE: In the model number the second to last character appears to be a 1, I could be wrong and it could be an I. Regardless, it is the same in both bearings.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by T3aM 83rD; 08-11-2007, 12:07 AM.

i have the exedy oem clutch kit too, great stuff for normal DD
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

If I find my XTD to bearing around my house I will compare it lol. I dont have pics laying around of the OEM I am using but the XTD should be enough to show why its shit. I pulled it apart with my bare hands and thats all I gotta say.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I took some pictures but my camera battery is dead. Ill put them up soon.

Comment

isnt exedy the manufacturer for oem clutches anyway? so this would make sense.

most other clutch kits come with non-oem, non-nachi bearings, and even look visibly different too.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I thought OEM was Daiken or whatever unless they are owned by same company

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Daiken makes exedy oem...
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I have the one my XTD clutch kit came with in my hands. No markings whatsoever. I did not even come in a marked box, just a plastic wrapper. It is shit.
                Gary A.K.A. Carter
                [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Working...
                X