MIG and TIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIG and TIG

What is MIG Welding? MIG stands for Metal Inert Gas welding, many times called Wire-feed.. Also referred as GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding). The "Metal" refers to the wire which is what is used to start the arc. It is shielded by inert gas and the feeding wire also acts as the filler rod. A semi-automatic process, it is fairly easy to learn and use.

What is TIG Welding? TIG stands for Tungsten Inert Gas welding. Also called GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) and HeliarcŪ which was Linde's trade name for the TIG process when it was introduced many years ago. The arc is started with a tungsten electrode shielded by inert gas and filler rod is fed into the weld puddle separately. A slower process than MIG, it produces a more precise weld and can be used at lower amperages for thinner metal and can be used on exotic metals. TIG does require quite a bit more time than MIG to learn. It is similar in technique to gas welding.

taken from http://www.daytonamig.com/faq.htm

question...does this mean that whenever I've heard folks refer to wire feed...they are talking about MIG?

is TIG somewhat like stick welding? I know it really isn't but...kinda? like how you have to hold the stick and feed it in by hand I guess.

I've welded some motor mounts with stick welder and they are nasty looking but strong.

I've also welded some exhaust with stick...and with a small wire feed machine. Both did ok...it was easier to fill in holes that I made from holding it in one place to long and blowing it out with the stick welder then the wire feed.

is wire feed also called flux cored?

*edit...found answer on
    http://www.nr.edu/welding/processes.htm

it is similar...but a little different how...not sure...
    Last edited by bcjammerx; 01-08-2008, 09:10 AM.
    ____

Originally posted by bcjammerx
    question...does this mean that whenever I've heard folks refer to wire feed...they are talking about MIG?
    Not necessarily. Wire feed means just what it says: the machine has some sort of wire feed mechanism. This is most commonly used in the MIG process.

is TIG somewhat like stick welding? I know it really isn't but...kinda? like how you have to hold the stick and feed it in by hand I guess.
    TIG and ARC welding are related. Both are DC processes, but while the TIG welding process uses a seperate electrode and filler, the ARC welding process combines the two.

I've welded some motor mounts with stick welder and they are nasty looking but strong.
    ARC welding (AKA stick) is typically the strongest process, but it is also the most inaccurate.

I've also welded some exhaust with stick...and with a small wire feed machine. Both did ok...it was easier to fill in holes that I made from holding it in one place to long and blowing it out with the stick welder then the wire feed.
    MIG welding can be tricky when welding tube steel.

is wire feed also called flux cored?
    Flux core welding is called that because the wire actually has flux embedded in the core of the wire to protect the weld from impurities. Flux welding isn't technically MIG, although a flux core machine will often be able to weld MIG as well. MIG is called Metal Inert Gas because it uses an inert gas to shield the weld from impurities. This takes the place of the flux.
    Last edited by Camurai; 01-21-2008, 11:31 PM.
    ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
    '93 EX 5-speed coupe
    Short ram intake
    Tenrai Himoto catback
    Smashed front end
    Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

oh ok.

thanks for the reply!
      ____

Comment

You bet man! I'm no expert by any means, but I'm glad to share what knowledge I do have.
        ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
        '93 EX 5-speed coupe
        Short ram intake
        Tenrai Himoto catback
        Smashed front end
        Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Working...
        X