Turbo Charger jet engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Charger jet engine

I've been thinking of this for a while, and I know I'm not the first person to try it. Basically I'm going to take a turbo and build my own combustion chamber, the goal will be to get it running with a decent pressure, and to make it self sustaining. I thought I'd make this thread for suggestions and comments from others. A few quick links before I get into my questions.
    A DIY of sorts
    A video Not the right way to do it, but gives the general idea.
    So, first question: What kind of turbo should I use? From what I've read I'll probably need to grab one off of a truck, so that way I don't have to manufacture custom flanges.
    2. Any ideas for oil pumps?
    3. Fuel Ideas?
    4. I'll need something to sustain a spark, as I said before I want it to be self sustaining but the sparking mechanism will need to be continuous for as long as it take for me to feel comfortable the flame won't go out.

That's it for now. Before you leave negative comments please read my traction control thread. This project will probably be done with more enthusiasm then the traction control, because it'll be easier and less likely to kill me(Hopefully).

2 Side notes. My welds aren't air tight yet. I can make them water tight and airtight to very low pressures, usually under 5 psi. Any suggestions? I'm headed over to the welding and fabrication section right after this.

If this becomes as stable as I want it to be, I may mount it on the front of my car as a snow plow of sorts. Except instead of plowing the snow I'll just melt it with hot air from a jet.

Has anybody else here done this?
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

sorry I'v been up for over 24 hours wheres the engine??

or is it one of those you want you crazy crazy scientist

Comment

Originally posted by stretch JDM View Post
        This!

Maybe you should refer this to an aviation forum of somesorts guy.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
        PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

This is actually fairly common, and relatively easy to do.

It will be a useless noise maker, but still cool.

You will have to practice your welds, because they need to be airtight.

As for fuel, you can burn almost anything, although I think some of the more common ones are propane and kerosene. You need something that is relatively stable and self sustaining. Of course, considering that they all use a continuous flow of fuel, anything that will burn at the temps and pressures you are generating will work. Kerosene is not very volatile, so you might lean toward propane.

As for ignitors, you just need something that makes a continuous repeating arc until you get enough fuel in there to ignite.

I would search Youtube, as there is all sorts of stuff about them on there. Thought about it myself, but since you can't really do anything with it, I figured why bother.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Xsjado View Post
            sorry I'v been up for over 24 hours wheres the engine??

or is it one of those you want you crazy crazy scientist
            That's a real jet, mounted inside of a car.

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
            This is actually fairly common, and relatively easy to do.

It will be a useless noise maker, but still cool.

You will have to practice your welds, because they need to be airtight.

As for fuel, you can burn almost anything, although I think some of the more common ones are propane and kerosene. You need something that is relatively stable and self sustaining. Of course, considering that they all use a continuous flow of fuel, anything that will burn at the temps and pressures you are generating will work. Kerosene is not very volatile, so you might lean toward propane.

As for ignitors, you just need something that makes a continuous repeating arc until you get enough fuel in there to ignite.

I would search Youtube, as there is all sorts of stuff about them on there. Thought about it myself, but since you can't really do anything with it, I figured why bother.
            For ignitors, I was thinking about using the arcing mechanism used on furnaces. It seems pretty stable and hopefully portable.
            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

woah I missed your links.
              thats kinda nuts. I didn't know beer was that cobustable.
              will have to do much more reading.
              I"m baffled as too how this works.

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/
              Last edited by Xsjado; 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xsjado View Post
                woah I missed your links.
                thats kinda nuts. I didn't know beer was that cobustable.
                will have to do much more reading.
                I"m baffled as too how this works.

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/
                Beer isn't combustible. I think they were using it in place of oil or coolant.

Your link is a really roundabout way of doing it, but whatever floats your boat!
                MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                X