Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

to all of you out there with "non-degree needing" jobs... what do you do???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to all of you out there with "non-degree needing" jobs... what do you do???

... and how do you like it?

i have been an employee of trader joes for almost 10 years now. and im beginning to hate it. im sure you all have those days where you wake up and contemplate calling in sick, just cause you dont want to work that day. well i have similar feelings, but my mind is full of thoughts of just quiting my job.

of course, i realize just getting another job isnt that easy, since i dont want to go back to my highschool days at mcd's. for those of you in a more retail based settings, what do you all do? hows it pay and do you like it?

right now, i get $19.25/hr, which isnt great, but its far from minimum wage. tj's has set up a retirement account for all employees. if i quit tomorrow, within a week i will have a check(after early withdrawl, state and fed taxes) mailed to my house for a little over $30k. i would put the majority into a savings account. but there are a few ba;ances i would like to pay off, which would lower my overall monthly bills.

bottomline is that i just need another job. i was considering best buy. i love electronics. i could help others and really give a shit what im talking about. and i like the fact that they dont get commission, so theres no fake bullshit like at fry's.

so what are y'all thoughts?

machine work - 18/hr green money
    smog tech - 15/hr plus commission sometimes

i never contemplate calling in sick. i never actually repair a vehicle, it's fucking awesome...i go home and dont mind working on my own car. it's all about different spectrums of the automotive industry. It's not just oil changes and alignments.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

wow 19 bucks an hour isnt great? my mom has been working for the marriot for 15 years and only gets payed 11. my brother just got a pc tech job and get payed 14. i get payed 8 doing basic retail. my other bro is a teacher and he got payed shit too. you are doing fine my friend

no
      Accord turbo kit under $2k here
      $30 HID kits here Thread
      "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
      "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
        wow 19 bucks an hour isnt great? my mom has been working for the marriot for 15 years and only gets payed 11. my brother just got a pc tech job and get payed 14. i get payed 8 doing basic retail. my other bro is a teacher and he got payed shit too. you are doing fine my friend
        yea but your rent in florida is probably 50 dollars a month.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I've worked as an industrial mechanic on everything from building HVAC to Forklift fabrication and system designs for 5 years and I make 13.50.

Your Job > Mine
          Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

but to add an OT topic to an OT thread. what do you guys pay for mortgage or rent? my rent for a 2bd apt. is $1400/mo. when rent is $1400, $19/hr isnt shit.

Comment

maybe i just need to pop a pill or eat a brownie before work. something to help me cope with the monotonous bullshit.

Comment

I make $16 an hour and i work at an attorneys office, technically my job title is a paralegal but i dont think it is because i dont make the 70k paralegals do.. the reason i get paid that much is because my Dad is the main paralegal at the attorneys office and since its a small staff of 5 people including the attorney im more of the middle man that helps both my dad and the attorney.. i tried looking for a job with the 6 years of experience that i have doing what im doing but i had no luck because businesses rather have someone with a degree than experience.. right now im in the process of going back to school to get my certificate in paralegal studies so i can make the money,

i know your not happy right now with the money you are making but honestly you work at trader joes which is a big company and im sure there is plenty of room for you to grow in within the company my opinion would be for you to stay there and ask for a raise or a better job title doing that is easier then looking for a new job

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
                "2SIIC"
                Authentic Jerseys for sale
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                  yea but your rent in florida is probably 50 dollars a month.
                  rent here is pretty expensive actually. i live near 10 minutes from universal and 20 from disney -_-. the closer you are to those parks the more expensive shit gets. if i remember correctly, a studio goes for like 1000 near disney....and they were shitty apartments

no
                  $30 HID kits here Thread
                  "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                  "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
                    but to add an OT topic to an OT thread. what do you guys pay for mortgage or rent? my rent for a 2bd apt. is $1400/mo. when rent is $1400, $19/hr isnt shit.
                    good are or bad? 2 baths? i can see why you are complaining about money. plus car, insurance, phone, utilities, etc.

as for not liking work....maybe you just need more coworkers around you to talk to. work is a drag when there is no one you like there

no
                    $30 HID kits here Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
                      If you're paying that much monthly I'd look into buying a house.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                      2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

i dont know if you live up east or california

so I dont know the dollar equivalent of our cities....but Im interviewing for entry level jobs now that I graduated college and they start as low as 32k/year which i believe is 16 an hour...pretty shitty... I'm in the midwest btw

you can always check indeed.com or careerbuilder they are still going to list tons of jobs no matter your education level

finally its sometimes luck or finding someone you know that understans how hard you work and then network with anyone they may help you find a better job or at least something that interests/challenges you more...you can always find a management type desk job if you just find the right person...i dont mean to sound nerdy but "what color is your parachute" is a job search book and it also helps you find out what your strenghts/weakness are...i read it...its nothing special but some people might like it better since its like the number 1 job book out there
                        Originally posted by fizzbob7 i think the "jdm everything" craze is funny........it's the same thing, a fad.......and an overpriced one at that
                        Originally posted by uncle_el believe it or not, this forum is not about you or your post count. it's about providing relevant information and exchanging it with one another, in order to help build a community. if you don't like that, please leave.

Comment

12.50 as an experienced L1 technician in a call center. I have certifications, no real degree

Buy a house, you are making your landlord a rich man
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I wish i could even find any job that makes me some money.

Comment

I've been a 911 dispatcher dealing with crazy stuff and saving lives for the last 3+ years and only make $15

My city is broke and I haven't gotten a raise since I started.. If I went to a different city I could make $18-$22 pretty easy, but I like the people I work with and I pretty much have it made here.. Only plan on staying until I finish school.. which I'm just now starting finally

Comment

Working...
                              X