Super awkward situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super awkward situation

So today I was at my girlfriends house having fun.
    We went into her kitchen to make some food. Her dad was in there adding cheese to buns
    I stood off to the side and she asked if it was ok to use the microwave.
    He said sure, possibly sarcastically. She started microwaving her food, and he got upset that she came in and stared making her food while he was making his.
    Semi big argument ensued and he went downstairs while her food cooked. When it was done and we were leaving he called up from the basement (in a possible about to cry voice) asking if she was done interrupting etc. It seemed in an effort to continue the fight. They shouted back and forth while we made our way to her room. We got there and stared talking about it. I mentioned that I'm the only other male in the house and if he starts getting rough I'm obligated to do something about it, which would put me in a very very awkward situation.
    As if on cue, I her him running up the stairs into her room. He barged in, and the way the room is set up I was stuck directly behind him while he shouted at her. I tried to inch backwards as much as I could, but my back was up against a wall. Her other sister and mom appeared. They finished shouting at each other, all the while my senses were tingling that a fight was about to break out. Thankfully, nothing happened.

We sat in her room while she finished her pizza. Her sister appeared and started asking us what happened. We told her and she was questioning why he overreacted like he did. Again, as if on cue, he appeared in the doorway. He started in a shouting match with her sister. Eventually her sister tried to leave (possibly a bad move?). He was blocking the doorway so she couldn't. My girlfriend and her sister started up the shouting again, volume on par with the dad. Her mom appeared and also started shouting.

Now, throughout most of this I tired to keep my eyes averted. As I said earlier I was trying to avoid a confrontation. This was no exception. But, when mom appeared and started shouting dad sounded like he got physical. Girlfriend and sister started over there trying to separate them. There was a wall in between us so I couldn't see. There dogs also appeared and I tried to keep them out of it. After the brief scuffle they separated. I was still in the bedroom. The dad locked eyes with me and said simply, "leave". I gathered my things, said my goodbyes and left.

To me, this whole situation is silly. The basis of the argument is silly. Shouting above and beyond it is silly. Getting physical over food is silly.
    I got texts afterwards that said this sort of thing is normal. I'm 90% this is an abusive situation. I responded to the texts by offering what should be the standard advice. Things like, call me if you need me, if you want to stay here or need a ride call me, if things get out of hand call the cops. Each time I got the reply that this sort of thing is normal.

So I guess I should form some questions.
    I don't mean to inflate my ego, but unless this guy secretly knows some crazy karate if it comes down to it I will win a fight without a problem.
    1. If it comes to a fight, should I fend him off with the intent to leave? Fend him off until he stops attacking?
    2. During the fight situation, I would've liked to say something so completely out of this world that it distracted them from the fight so they could take a step back and see what they're doing. But I don't have any ideas that don't sound ridiculous. Perhaps shouting "I just shit my pants!"
    3. I also thought about offering a pat on the shoulder accompanied with a "Hey man, what's going on?" But he is quite a bit older than me, and that would make me seem like his equal, which could possibly provoke violence.
    4. He is a calm guy most of the time. However, tonight he was drinking, and I guess this is a normal drinking thing. Should I try to do anything about that?

Again, any advice is appreciated. I tried to keep my thoughts in order and clean, but it's a lot of info.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

I can say one thing, the argument didnt start over the use of the microwave or food, there is some other tension there that started all this. With that said, i wouldnt want to be in your position.
    1993 Accord LX - Sold
    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

That's what I thought. There was some talk that he was having a bad day because he dropped his phone and it was acting up, but that's still a lot.
      For the past week he's been talking about how 2012 will be different. I guess he could have some expectation he's not living up to
      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
          Get out of here with your nonsense.
          I finally clicked your sig btw.
          MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
            Get out of here with your nonsense.
            I finally clicked your sig btw.
            lol i had been waiting to use that gif for forever

Honestly you should have wipped out your dick and started to smack him with it

In seriousness i would try to avoid him unless he tries to touch someone. If he tries something first and you defend, likely everyone else in the room would side with you anyways.

Comment

TL;DR

But. Piitb.
              wat?

Comment

either she needs to move out or i would get the fuck out of there and never come back.

you also are in his house so who knows, he might have a gun. fuck that noise.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

To properly evaluate the situation I need to know her age.

Comment

Leave and never go back.

Given the fact they all reacted so absurdly in the situation, there is a high chance they are all liable to let tension build up and snap at a moment's notice.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                      TL;DR

But. Piitb.
                      TL;DR ?
                      And no butt yet. I'm working on it.

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                      either she needs to move out or i would get the fuck out of there and never come back.

you also are in his house so who knows, he might have a gun. fuck that noise.
                      No guns. I've been dating her for a while. No money to move out either. We're both still in school.

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                      To properly evaluate the situation I need to know her age.
                      22. I'm 21. And no pics will be given.

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
                      Leave and never go back.

Given the fact they all reacted so absurdly in the situation, there is a high chance they are all liable to let tension build up and snap at a moment's notice.
                      If she wasn't my GF and I didn't care about her that would be the answer. Right now I think my best play is to do exactly what I'm doing at my house. Stick it out until we're done with college then gtfo.
                      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post

22. I'm 21. And no pics will be given.
                        Okay then... What I thought... Tell her to STFU and stop using her DADS microwave in HIS house if it bothers him........ If he yells and screams then STFU and say sorry or she should move out.. ... If he is not hitting her she is a adult and can leave when she wants...

Plus I know for a fact that there is more wrong then using a microwave.

EDIT*... I re read and see the mother and father got in a little fight... Again move out.
                        Last edited by ChIoVnIdCa; 01-04-2012, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Honestly for your own safety and to keep you out of trouble, don't go poking the bear. If you pick a fight and he ends up hurt, he could possibly press charges and/or file a restraining order. If another situation arises and you defend yourself that is one thing. Whether you were doing the right thing or not.

If i was you, i would call the cops next time something like this happens and you can say you are a neighbor that heard a domestic dispute.

There is nothing "normal" about that scenario. Whenever people say stuff like that is "normal" they are in denial/embarassed/ashamed. However, it is a pretty common response. Anyways, sounds like her dad needs some serious anger management classes.

Click picture to see my mrt
                          Instagram: sikz6

Comment

cliffs?
                            COUPE K24

Comment

i think a "I JUST SHIT MY PANTS" given at the perfect moment of confritation would be so epic lool no1 would know what to do/say but youd prolly get kicked out of that house forever lol

#3MR 91 coupe: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=186456
                              #2MR 90 sedan: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...51#post2867651
                              #1MR 93 coupe: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176343

Comment

Working...
                              X