Any health buffs here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any health buffs here?

I just started going back to the gym again and it feels great.
    Late 2010 i lost 50 lbs, i was tipping the scales at 328, i worked it down to 275 in a matter of only two months! Honestly, loosing it was super easy, everyone always says how hard it is.

Fast forward to now and im back over 300, looking at 307 right now.
    Ive decided to take a different approach and start lifting first to prevent me from getting bored from the cardio. Also because I have a fracture healing up in my foot :P

Anyone have any personal experiences or advise? What worked for you? Did you take any pre workout supplements?
    1991 Accord Ex - H22A - Omnipower Coilovers - Greddy SP2
    1993 Civic Dx - D15B7 - T3/T04E - Ported head - Hole in block - May be going F swap

My Workout Log

Originally posted by Leung
    Well, I poked the big one in the head with the shovel while shouting at it "hey, you can't sleep here".

Well besides working out the biggest advice you could get would be to watch what you eat, do you eat a lot of junk food/fast food? If so I would try to cut down on that as much as possible

Click For MRT

Comment

I've done two marathons and have been a recreational runner since high school. I wouldn't call myself a health freak in the slightest, though. It's all a matter of operating within overindulgence limits you set for yourself. I even go beyond those limits sometime but even just the conscious acknowledgement of that is more than most people in this country seem to have. I say that because losing weight is a combination of diet and exercise. Whatever dieting habits got you to 307 need to be reassessed heavily if you want to drop much further than that. If not, you'll hit a wall where all of a sudden the weight won't fall off like it used to even though you're exercising.

This sounds silly but it's proven to work for me and body-builders do this to trim down before shows: A ketogenic diet. It's essentially completely denying your body of carbohydrates so that your body is forced to burn off the fat that is stored. It's not something that is maintainable for a very long period and is something you will tire of quickly because of the limitations. But it works to shed mass. I've done it a couple of times before music festivals when I know my shirt is going to be off for 2-3 days and I don't want to look sloppy. This is not something I would combine intensive workouts with but light lifting and moderate cardio will be plenty with it. In your situation I would recommend alternating a diet like this into a healthier overall practice. Maybe come up with a healthy regimen of foods to eat and exercise routine and then for a week out of every three weeks do a ketogenic diet. It has to be for an extended period for the process to begin and be effective. When I do it, I don't have the exact same energy that I would have if I were dieting in a different way that requires more long-term methods and healthier practices, but just having a decent amount of weight come off so quickly can give you a boost in itself as your body has to apply less effort for movement and action in general. I've done it for up to 2-1/2 weeks straight but I wouldn't recommend it to go that long. Especially at 307 since it would be a major shock to your body just doing it for a few days. That's all for now but if you have any questions I'm all ears.

Here's some more info:
      http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm
      Last edited by Jarrett; 06-25-2012, 11:49 AM.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

My bad eating habits are not eating enough and when i eat.
        When i lost the weight, i was doing 5 small meals and eating no later then 8pm. Which sucks because i work until 10:30 alot of days.

2 months ago i started eating right, 5 meals and no later then 8pm and lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks with no exercise. Gotta boost that metabolism.
        Last edited by 91H22ACB7; 06-25-2012, 03:18 PM.
        1993 Civic Dx - D15B7 - T3/T04E - Ported head - Hole in block - May be going F swap

My Workout Log

Well, I poked the big one in the head with the shovel while shouting at it "hey, you can't sleep here".

Comment

In no health nut either but I am just started a 12 week program.
          http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris...y-trainer.html
          It is an intense workout but is fun and cool to be doing it with the trainer. I just started literally today. I only use a pre workout supplement which is no xplode. I am also taking protein. I can't afford all the supplements suggested. Or the whole eating 8 times a day. So to substitute the 8 meals I do 5 small meals with healthy snacks. I.e fruit, nuts, oatmeal. But bodybuilder.com like previously addressed is an awesome website with a lot of information. Good luck with the weight loss. I will be following this workout with. Mixture of this same workout with insanity.
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

i am no where near a health nut but i think what you were doing with eating 5 times a day or more is a good idea..i like the stories where people only eat like one meal a day and never lose weight,or only loose very little..a high metabolism is important as well as muscle growth.the more muscle you have,the more calories you burn...everybodys different just gotta find what works for you.

Comment

i go to the gym 3-5 times a week, take tons of supplements...and i juice.

right now im doing a cutting cycle using clenbuterol, its whats given to race horses, its a pill that attacks fat and not muscle. think of it as a fat burner...on roids.

if you really want to drop some fat, look into the "keto diet"! incredibly hard to stick with it...but its worth it in the end!!!!
              ..[CB7][STAR]..
              MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

I work out 3 times a week and have a regular diet.

Im not on a diet, I ALWAYS eat healthy.

Different way of living if you ask me. Going on a diet does nothing to change your long term outcome if you do not change things long term.

Otherwise man, your probably already working out "good enough" when you take your ass to the gym. Just stick with it, and eat better.

Stick with it is the big thing. So you have a bad day, eat some fries. Whatever, get back to it the next day. Dont view a bump in the road as a failure-when you do that, you just create an excuse to fail. Theres going to be bumps in the road-STICK WITH IT.

Originally posted by wed3k
                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Losing 50lbs in 2 months is actually a bit much... that much so fast could be dangerous.
                  Though 5 small meals a day, healthy food, LOTS of water, and no late-night eating (I've heard it doesn't matter, but I didn't eat past 9 and lost 60lbs myself.)
                  That, and keeping your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes a day with moderate cardio exercise (I walked. A quick pace, but just a walk.)

Honestly, that's all you need to do. Good food, low fat, don't overdo the carbs. Eat all the leafy veggies you can stomach.
                  The only supplement necessary is a good multi-vitamin. If you're trying to build muscle, a protein powder may be handy, but also not terribly necessary. At your weight, unless you're 7 feet tall, you don't need to worry about bulking up your muscle just yet. Get yourself back down to a healthy body weight at a slow, steady pace first.

When it comes to losing weight, getting in shape, or building muscle... the key is simple. Consistency. Stick with it, and it happens. Don't stick with it, and it doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Losing 50lbs in 2 months is actually a bit much... that much so fast could be dangerous.
                    Though 5 small meals a day, healthy food, LOTS of water, and no late-night eating (I've heard it doesn't matter, but I didn't eat past 9 and lost 60lbs myself.)
                    It worked for me.

Gym 6 times a week, beginning with 30 minutes of cardio. I deffinetely stayed hydrated.

Unfortuanetly I
                    the damn fracture in my foot is keep me from doing cardio, so im strictly lifting for the next 2-3 weeks.

Im taking a mens multi, fish oil and a preworkout supp and fat burner. Gotta pick up some glucosamine this week.

Just got home from a solid back and tri work out.

My Workout Log

Comment

Im back at it again, feeling good after incline chest, pec & delt flys and tri pull down&outs(w.e you want to call it)

10 minutes on the treadmill when I got there then 5~ after workout, 1 minute of a slow run then 'cool down'.

My Workout Log

Comment

Eat carbs early in the day, transitioning to sugars like fruits, and salads with some meat(protein source) at the end of the day. Very small amount of food before bed, nothing over 200 calories.

Flexibility is #1 Should be done at least 2x a day and NEVER skipped
                        Cardio/stamina is #2 once a day with off days after a heavy lifting day.
                        Strength is last. 3x a week.

If you want strength, then start with your core: abs, back, shoulders, proper posture, obliques. Theres so many guys that have worked at the rubber factory with me that are stronger than I am on bench/curls. Yet I destroy them on any kind of physical work where a muscle is not isolated. Not only that but since my cardio is great I can go all day.

Every time I eat I try to make sure I'm taking in adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals. Multivitamins are fine, but they should be in dosages designed for at least 2 times a day if not 3. They should also be a gel base.

I used to work out every day, though I'd workout solo so maxing out and fatigue was never anything I encountered to stay safe. I'd eat cereal(total) with a cup of yogurt at least 2-3 times a day. Calcium is the most abundant mineral in your body next to water, so get enough of it. Only problem I have with most yogurt is its over abundance of sugars. Which is why I stopped eating it by 2pm.

Protein intake(grams) should be about .5x your body weight for a relatively active athlete. Since your body weight is still high because of stored fat it would depend roughly on your height. I'm 6"1 and weigh 180, I would consume no more than 90-120 grams of protein a day. With a max being 150G's when I was heavy lifting @ my peak weight of 195. Too much protein will take its toll on your body. Tuna > chicken > cow!

The biggest challenge is getting proper vitamins and minerals with today's crappy food. Unless your paying out the ass for some "healthy" alternatives that is. I try to add cereal here and there, or a clif bar/protein bar that has good nutritional content.

If your foot hurts get on an olymptical as they have little to no impact.

Comment

Originally posted by 91H22ACB7 View Post
                          Im back at it again, feeling good after incline chest, pec & delt flys and tri pull down&outs(w.e you want to call it)

10 minutes on the treadmill when I got there then 5~ after workout, 1 minute of a slow run then 'cool down'.

whats your weight now??

i am at 279 by cutting out late night Frosted Flakes in a BIG bowl
                          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I've finally decided to go vegan 5 days ago and I lost 5lbs so far. I went from 185 to 180 lbs.

I didn't do it because I need to lose weigh, I did it because I saw a slaughter house.

But it would work well for weight loss too.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              That, and keeping your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes a day with moderate cardio exercise (I walked. A quick pace, but just a walk.)

Honestly, that's all you need to do. Good food, low fat, don't overdo the carbs. Eat all the leafy veggies you can stomach.
                              The only supplement necessary is a good multi-vitamin. If you're trying to build muscle, a protein powder may be handy, but also not terribly necessary. At your weight, unless you're 7 feet tall, you don't need to worry about bulking up your muscle just yet. Get yourself back down to a healthy body weight at a slow, steady pace first.

When it comes to losing weight, getting in shape, or building muscle... the key is simple. Consistency. Stick with it, and it happens. Don't stick with it, and it doesn't happen.
                              Amen to this. I've been exercising for 5 years + now and i find the key is to simply do something. I obviously eat proper, no eating out, no McDonalds, no junk food. My saying for exercise is "something is better than nothing". I try to jog 5 days a week and get my heart rate up for 20min minimum.
                              If I don't feel like jogging, then I walk or walk uphill. And as Dev said, consistency is the key.

Seven years ago I lived with a girl, hit the "comfort zone" and was 225lbs. My whole life prior to this I was 150-155lbs (I'm 5'10"). Now I'm 160lbs. I honestly believe exercise is a very very important part of life now, for mental and physical health.

Comment

Working...
                              X