What Lies In The Truth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Lies In The Truth?

I wonder what would happen in the world if everyone couldn't lie for an entire day. Literally!

Let's assume everyone had to tell the truth; not one single solitary lie for an entire day by every man, woman, and child. What would be the outcome?

Let's go a step further and randomly pick a day. Wednesday, January 13, 2016, hypothetically marks a day of being honest for 24 hours straight for everyone. Would this lead to war, death, divorce, enlightenment, world peace, financial crisis, global economic meltdown, termination, death, life, marriage, corruption exposure, cure for AIDS, suicide, prosperity, understanding, further ignorance, wisdom, love, joy, hope, reconciliation, brother and sisterly love, etc...?

What would happen?
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

The inability to lie forces silence, not the truth.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      By that notion, you think the outcome would be that everyone would be silent for 24 hours?

Is that possible?

Stock trading, business deals, not speaking to one's spouse or kids for a nice 24. Hmmm! Interesting.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

If you, for the sake of argument, assume nobody will be silent, an unbelievably large amount of industries, governments, and relationships (personal or otherwise) will go to hell in a hand basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
          If you, for the sake of argument, assume nobody will be silent, an unbelievably large amount of industries, governments, and relationships (personal or otherwise) will go to hell in a hand basket.
          24 hours of straight honesty; yeah, I can see that.

Assuming this is the case, if people began lying the following day, can the rights of the truth be ratified?

Edit: Also, on a daily basis, which do you think are shared more in a day, the truth or lies?
          Last edited by Straight Success; 12-28-2015, 12:24 AM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

if i was forced to tell the truth, id piss off a lot of people. i dont interact with people for a reason.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Everyone told the truth......

One of the BEST lines I have heard EVER is from Men In Black......

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

Think about it.....(bet my point gets lost on the "Aliens point...."
              Last edited by Father Time; 12-28-2015, 01:35 AM.
              3 CB's gone....
              1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Time View Post
                Everyone told the truth......

One of the BEST lines I have heard EVER is from Men In Black......

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

Think about it.....(bet my point gets lost on the "Aliens point...."
                Tomorrow, in the context of this thread, we could find out from people telling yesterday's truth... whoa, wait...

That's a very scary thought..., but I like it. Why? Because it's the TRUTH!

I'm sure mortuaries would profit much greater than they already do over the effects from the truth of the aforementioned day.

As mentioned, hell in a hand basket.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

QUOTE=Straight Success;3248821 Tomorrow, in the context of this thread, we could find out from people telling yesterday's truth... whoa, wait...

That's a very scary thought..., but I like it. Why? Because it's the TRUTH!

I'm sure mortuaries would profit much greater than they already do over the effects from the truth of the aforementioned day.

Mortality Predates religion.......Sorry
                  3 CB's gone....
                  1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Time View Post

Mortality Predates religion.......Sorry
                    Yes, yes it does. However, turning death into a very profitable business, that came after religion.

With that being said, I wonder if people would resort to violence with the truth, or deal with it as humane as possible (rhetorical)? That's really something to think about as I hear we are in the last days/end of times (arguably).

Could the world handle the truths that are hidden (in reality)?

- D. Chappelle

Comment

This is the only realistic thing that could happen, unless we were to also lose that specific aspect of self control. That stupid saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" (personally I believe it's counterproductive towards progress), runs surprisingly deep. As horrible as people can be, most of us still have a conscience.

Let's take your hypothetical date and make it happen right here on CB7Tuner... this place will be silent except for the few people who care to let out their inner ass hole.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                        This is the only realistic thing that could happen, unless we were to also lose that specific aspect of self control. That stupid saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" (personally I believe it's counterproductive towards progress), runs surprisingly deep. As horrible as people can be, most of us still have a conscience.

Let's take your hypothetical date and make it happen right here on CB7Tuner... this place will be silent except for the few people who care to let out their inner ass hole.
                        Being mean and spiteful just because one can by telling the truth is much different than revealing the true truth because one has a reason to.

I'm sure it would be difficult for the board to be silent and the activity has slowed, and from my understanding, shifted somewhat to FB. In short, I agree with you.

I think that it would be impossible for the world to be silent for a day. Anything and everything on this Earth has to communicate in some way, shape, or form. Without it, somethings will end. By that logic, I guess the same could be argued for telling the truth for a day; in a different context of course.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Moving on, do you think there is a possibility that telling the truth for a day could help people become more humane and fix the wrongs in today's society (basically giving everyone a fresh and clean slate with the truth)?

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                            Being mean and spiteful just because one can by telling the truth is much different than revealing the true truth because one has a reason to.
                            I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of this forum and how people are always asking opinions on their cars, etc. I don't comment in MRTs, for example, unless I have an honest interest in something and it compels me to speak up... if I see something I don't like, I'm just another number added to the 'views' counter.

In the real world, an average day for me never calls for a single lie. How often do people straight up ask, "what do you think?" in any given situation? We communicate to keep the world around us moving along, and opinions aren't necessary 95&#37; of the time... at least in my own little world. That said, I don't think the world's economy would have any risk of crashing over night unless this 24 hours fell on an unlucky day where world leaders were actually in an argument to prevent or start war. Even then it'd be iffy. If terrorists were forced to be honest, who's to say they'd act the same as they do now? Which kind of ties into this topic of humanity in your newest post. Lies can do just as much good as they can harm, so it could backfire. Sparing someone's feelings from a hard truth could prevent a suicide, for instance.

"The bitter truth cuts both ways." - Hatebreed
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 12-28-2015, 10:23 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

This would be the inevitable outcome because the more words in a statement the less accurate it becomes.
                              ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Working...
                              X