Beirut Explosions, Simply Horrifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beirut Explosions, Simply Horrifying

I've been in a daze since I saw the first footage of the second blast from the balconies that have been dispersed on Youtube. I've seen lost of explosions on Destroyed in Seconds when I was younger, including that massive one in the deserts of Nevada chemical plant.

This one may be the largest I have seen that is not an atomic or nuclear bomb.

You can hear the effects of the shaking ground as the shock waves pass faster through solids, and then the shock wave traveling through the air reaches the camera. There's one clip making the rounds of people in a car, driving toward the first blast, and the second blast literally towers over them. I can't imagine what went through people's heads when they saw the shock wave traveling through the air.

I'll share just one I came accross today. You would think you were being duped into watching some ad for a wedding dress in 4K, and then, all hell breaks loose. The aftermath shots at the end are stunning.

I just don't know what to say, over 100 people are now confirmed dead, and hundreds of thousands are now homeless. This is just horrifying.

*** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

That looks like a grain silo explosion. I don't think most people realize how explosive grain dust can be.

I watched the videos and it was stunning, but I haven't watched the news too much because I figured it would take them at least a day or so to start to have valuable information about what happened.

It was definitely a tragic event, and definitely one of the most powerful explosions I can think of.

Definitely tragic and I hope they are able to take care of the homeless.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/w...n-lebanon.html

Oh, nevermind. Ammonium Nitrate and quite a lot of it by the looks of it.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Things are starting to come out today regarding a ship from Russia, carrying 2750 tons of Ammonium Nitrate. They parked in a Beirut port on their way to another country, failed an inspection, and that cargo was taken off the ship and stored there since 2014, in the storage hangar that is now replaced with a crater. I am surprised that set of grain silos is actually still standing at all, since they were so close to the blast site.

My wife heard that this explosion is estimated to be 1/8 the size of the explosion of the Hiroshima atomic bomb.
        *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
        ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
        ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
        "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
        The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
        Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Man, this is beyond tragic. The people of Beirut, Lebanon have seriously been in my prayers since this happened.
          The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
            https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/w...n-lebanon.html

Oh, nevermind. Ammonium Nitrate and quite a lot of it by the looks of it.
            Jesus that stuff packs a crapload of energy.
            14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
              Jesus that stuff packs a crapload of energy.
              Yes it most certainly does.

The Oklahoma Federal building that was bombed, utilized 2.4 tons of Ammonium Nitrate.

This blast was over 2700 tons of it.

Its quite lethal.

A similiar explosion happened in Texas City Texas in the 40's. Same amount of Nitrate.

581 people were killed.

Comment

Working...
              X