Is Vtec really overrated??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Vtec really overrated??

Okay its like this I keep hearing from people how Vtec is so overrated and blah blah. To me personaly I love Vtec, but now and days I hear people try to act like Vtec is just overrated and this is coming from both side of the family non vtec users and vtec users. I want to know your opinions anything is welcomed.
    Last edited by Chan_Man; 09-29-2005, 10:19 AM.
    "form follows function."
    Louis Sullivan

sohc vtec is over-rated. imho,honda intended vtec to be about high revving n/a motors that are still smog legal and will last for 200k.

Comment

I-VTEC isn't.
      "I'm out for presidents to represent me"

Comment

i dont even feel the vtec in my friends 6th gen accord.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

technically your not supposed to feel vtec, your just supposed to hear it. Vtec is simply a change in the cam profile and ignition timing to suit that cam profile. A non-vtec car with a high lift and duration cam will be practically the same thing but with a lobey idle. Thats why they say its overrated...its just a change in cam lobes.
          Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
            technically your not supposed to feel vtec, your just supposed to hear it. Vtec is simply a change in the cam profile and ignition timing to suit that cam profile. A non-vtec car with a high lift and duration cam will be practically the same thing but with a lobey idle. Thats why they say its overrated...its just a change in cam lobes.
            Ahh...cool. How much harder is it to tune when going to boost?
            My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

vtec in accords arnt ment for power.. theyre just for optimal gas comsumption.

unless you put a dual cam vtec motor.

they do make vtec killer cams. *meaning takes out the vtec* and just runs really high lobes like your in constant vtec.

ive felt my car run with out vtec.. and its shitty..

Comment

Originally posted by 92HondaEX
                Ahh...cool. How much harder is it to tune when going to boost?
                i'd only need the car to do about 2 passes for me to have the engagement point completely tuned. Its not as hard to tune vtec like some ppl say...those ppl are moronic

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

but isnt building an engine for boost in a high compression motor harder than a low compression which is why our f22's are so good for boost?
                  less space for mistake.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

There are some important distinctions being missed above with regard to what "VTEC" means, or even what it is.

"VTEC" means that the engine has variable valve lift and duration

"i-VTEC" means that it also adds variable timing control

Some "VTEC" or "i-VTEC" engines are designed for max performance and some are not --- simple as that.

The confusion comes from the hype that the performance version get, and then somebody comes along and says something like, "well, then why does this engine only make 160hp? VTEC (or iVTEC) is overrated!"
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

VTEC IS NOT OVERRATED, i ve drove s2000. gsr's,ef b16s, cb h22's, 93 lude h22 modded,98 lude h22 stock, sohc civic 95 dcw/jdmb18c, rsx type s, 02 cl type s, 02 tl, 03 accord v6 (all 3 areauto/stock), a 02 civic ex was the worst i did feel vtec kick in but car didnt move (i/h/e) cd h22(i/h/e), eg b16 head/b17block, da b16 head/b18block(THIS CAR DIDNT MOVE). I ve drove a 2 hand full of vtecs. if you know vtec (i hope you people do by now), when you drive a stock dohc vtec to a modded dohc vtec you will know the difference. once you understand vtec, you can hear it kick in even though its stock. people that say that VTEC is over rated means that they dont have it or they have another car brand/company. whats really funny is that i dont have a VTEC (GOT A H23 ) BUT I UNDERSTAND and FEEL WHAT VETEC IS ALL ABOUT. when that VTEC comes in its ANOTHER WORLD
                      AKA:ONEOFFACCORD

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                        Sadly . . . I dont even hear it on my 5th gen . . .
                        -Mark-
                        CB7
                        CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                        Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                          but isnt building an engine for boost in a high compression motor harder than a low compression which is why our f22's are so good for boost?
                          less space for mistake.
                          If that were true then no f22 would blow up. We've seen some blow at 7psi, we've seen others live at 15psi. The compression thing is just a matter of correct ignition timing retard at the correct points, and also how much air your able to stuff into the chamber to make power. But yes the low compression motors have a better chance at living plus they can run pump gas with no troubles even on high boost. Personally, i'll probably put my engine upwards to 9.8:1 compression. And i expect to catch shit from anyone who doesn't know my abilities.

One thing i've learned about the stock turbo h22 vs. the built turbo h22 is that the guys that know how to tune are very stingy with ignition timing on the turbo h22. Thats why most of the high WHP h22's have considerably low WTQ. The amount of torque you make is a great indication of the cylinder pressure the motor sees. The guys with the built turbo h22's usually have close WTQ numbers to their WHP, cause they're usually at a 9.1:1 compression ratio and can take the extra timing the tuner throws at it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmthis
                            people that say that VTEC is over rated means that they dont have it or they have another car brand/company.
                            Wow...i could completely rip your ass for that one but i'll be nice. You explained vtec with butt dyno's, i explained it with tech support. Which one holds more weight? Vtec gives you high lobe/ high duration cam profiling without a lobey idle and the non-vtec cam keeps the idle nice and smooth along with some nice mid-range power.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmthis
                              VTEC IS NOT OVERRATED, i ve drove s2000. gsr's,ef b16s, cb h22's, 93 lude h22 modded,98 lude h22 stock, sohc civic 95 dcw/jdmb18c, rsx type s, 02 cl type s, 02 tl, 03 accord v6 (all 3 areauto/stock), a 02 civic ex was the worst i did feel vtec kick in but car didnt move (i/h/e) cd h22(i/h/e), eg b16 head/b17block, da b16 head/b18block(THIS CAR DIDNT MOVE). I ve drove a 2 hand full of vtecs. if you know vtec (i hope you people do by now), when you drive a stock dohc vtec to a modded dohc vtec you will know the difference. once you understand vtec, you can hear it kick in even though its stock. people that say that VTEC is over rated means that they dont have it or they have another car brand/company. whats really funny is that i dont have a VTEC (GOT A H23 ) BUT I UNDERSTAND and FEEL WHAT VETEC IS ALL ABOUT. when that VTEC comes in its ANOTHER WORLD
                              you cant have "A" VTEC persay, seeing as it isnt a definite object. you can HAVE VTEC though
                              -Mark-
                              CB7
                              CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                              Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                              X